lennert

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

We are working through a hardware issue for the EU servers and will have them up ASAP! Thank you for your patience.

-eric

Maybe time to do some serious hardware maintenance real soon then. And the advantage of that is that you can just get new server, install them, patch them and switch the cables to give us the fastest maintenance of all next big update. :t_wink:

Heh... the fact is that they need to mess up with French and German dictionaries every time they write up a line in those languages for ment-to-be-read text lines... lol

xD

But language is client side, not server side. So not sure what it's supposed to relate to the quoted post. Server should contain the exact same version.

Interesting that some of you seem to know what exactly is going wrong, as you all say "they should've been prepared for "IT" ".

Who says it isn't just something simple as an HDD that refuses to work anymore, or a mice gnawing on some cables or who knows what?

Nooo, it must be something that was forseeable since years and nobody cared to prepare for it because it's fun to let the customers wait...

Edited by bibobpipop

Why do EU players always get the shaft.

Not alone do they shutdown the server during midday, our downtime gets extended with another hour compared to the US server, while it's largely still morning there.

Hamsters inside the European servers work according to EU hamster workforce regulations. They have their mandatory "run in the wheel for recreation" hour and due to the update, hamster roster management could not split the wheel hour between the 2 shifts of hamsters- which is the way it is usually done. This is what EA/Bioware hides behind hardware problem. Hamsters are not hardware,you heartless capitalists!

Good for hamsters, bad for us.

Who says it isn't just something simple as an HDD that refuses to work anymore...
I seriously hope the downtime wasn't extended with 2 hours due to a "simple" problem. I'm sure they have their reasons to do so, just as we do have ours to complain. Edited by Sepulch

I can understand that they have hardware difficulties. But what bothers me is that they always do these downtimes in the middle of the day ( for EU). A little balancing doesn't hurt

Agreed, it's afternoon for EU players, so why let us wait one more hour or more. Next time do the patching earlier, when EU players are sleeping, at work, at school etc.

And hardware difficulties? Someone used a sledgehammer for patching?

Agreed, it's afternoon for EU players, so why let us wait one more hour or more. Next time do the patching earlier, when EU players are sleeping, at work, at school etc.

And hardware difficulties? Someone used a sledgehammer for patching?

Servers can be a pain sometimes to boot

It's clearly a matter of commitment, they simply do not want or can offer support on EU friendly hours. Now 10 years ago when I was playing that US based MMORPG I had no right to complain, but these days the games are sold in Europe and for Europe currency, service should be in line with the region, I pay just as much as my fellow US player (correction, we pay more comparing currency, but don't want to be nick picking)

Hey guys,

We are working through a hardware issue for the EU servers and will have them up ASAP! Thank you for your patience.

-eric

Would you be so kind and go into some detail on the issue? just for the techy people around.

I would imagine that the game consists of several "roles", running on a somewhat flexible number of servers with some pre-set resources for each role.

if that is the case, removing a failed node would be as easy as changing the resource allocation, putting up a notice that the servers are running slower than usual due to hardware issue, and schedule a short maintenance in two days (or so) to replace the failed HW. this could take maybe 30 mins (shot in the dark)

any other component (routers, disk arrays, SAN stuff) should be redundant in any reasonable setup

PS: 1 hour also seems like a reasonable time estimate for replacing a dead server with a spare one (copy program to spare HW, play a bit with wires)

PS2: another possibility is that the issue takes 10 mins to fix, and an hour to test, so it doesn't fail on users

What has currency to do with anything? xD

Face it, the game is played worldwide, so no matter when you do the maintenance, someone will always have to wait during "primetime".

And i bet even if they'd sycle it like "2.3 downtime is during US-orime, 2.4 during AU primetime, 2.5 EU primetime" most whinerss still wouldn't be satisfied.

Would you be so kind and go into some detail on the issue? just for the techy people around.

I would imagine that the game consists of several "roles", running on a somewhat flexible number of servers with some pre-set resources for each role.

if that is the case, removing a failed node would be as easy as changing the resource allocation, putting up a notice that the servers are running slower than usual due to hardware issue, and schedule a short maintenance in two days (or so) to replace the failed HW. this could take maybe 30 mins (shot in the dark)

any other component (routers, disk arrays, SAN stuff) should be redundant in any reasonable setup

PS: 1 hour also seems like a reasonable time estimate for replacing a dead server with a spare one (copy program to spare HW, play a bit with wires)

PS2: another possibility is that the issue takes 10 mins to fix, and an hour to test, so it doesn't fail on users

I doubt that the people you try to contact, are the ones solving the problem

Or someone got confused about the whole UTC thing.

I don't think they know, might email them to suggest unplugging the servers, then plugging them back in, you know "Turn them off for a few seconds, then turn them back on, that might work".

Hey guys,

-eric

Translation:

Look guys, someone forgot to feed the hamsters. We are heading to the pet shop.

Edited by Beansoup

I don't think they know, might email them to suggest unplugging the servers, then plugging them back in, you know "Turn them off for a few seconds, then turn them back on, that might work".

i think they would have tried that already....

I mean, a hardware issue in a proper "enterprise" (where downtime means huge losses) setup should not take an hour to fix - most of the HW should be redundant to some point, and the application should be scalable from a few servers to a lot (because one day, they may need to add more servers because of new players, without taking a day long maintenance period).

I know that servers do take quite some time to boot, but in such setup, if a component is misbehaving, the first (or maybe second, after one reboot) thing to do is remove the component (for later study) and run the system without it. thats what redundancy is about.