>> SWTOR Utility Discussion: Addressing Concerns of Trooper Commandos

DkSharktooth

My Assesment on the state of Trooper Commandos PvP. Please only reply with constructive comments. If I missed anything, feel free to post a comment below. I made this video on the fly, unscripted.

Click Here For The Video

Note: This is from the Point of View of the Trooper Commandos mirror class on the empire side, the Bounty Hunter Mercenary.

Edited by DkSharktooth

My Assesment on the state of Trooper Commandos PvP. Please only reply with constructive comments. If I missed anything, feel free to post a comment below. I made this video on the fly, unscripted.

Click Here For The Video

Note: This is from the Point of View of the Trooper Commandos mirror class on the empire side, the Bounty Hunter Mercenary.

I do not think it is quite as bad as you suggest, I agree on the root piece and easiest thing to do is to change Cover Fire to root instead of snare.

I disagree on the needing an interrupt but interrupt protection would go a long way to helping. Swapping the positions of Combat Shield and Supercharged Cells in the CM tree would work.

I disagree with your assessment of Assault for Commandos. Especially with 1.3, the increase in Armor Pen for HiB and Full Auto is borderline OP. The loss of Accuracy is a little annoying, but it easly compensated by sacrificing some Surge since full WH will put you over 77% Crit Bonus and the gains start to be very tiny.

I do not think it is quite as bad as you suggest, I agree on the root piece and easiest thing to do is to change Cover Fire to root instead of snare.

I disagree on the needing an interrupt but interrupt protection would go a long way to helping. Swapping the positions of Combat Shield and Supercharged Cells in the CM tree would work.

I disagree with your assessment of Assault for Commandos. Especially with 1.3, the increase in Armor Pen for HiB and Full Auto is borderline OP. The loss of Accuracy is a little annoying, but it easly compensated by sacrificing some Surge since full WH will put you over 77% Crit Bonus and the gains start to be very tiny.

Thanks for the feedback. I know it was a long video, but I did mention somewhere that we didn't really need an interrupt but it would be nice to have. We need some root-type abilities and interrupt protection like snipers.

Have you tried your class on the PTS? I have, and the 30% arp doesn't feel to OP. We will see though, hopefully we get some utility buffs before live or at least when the new level cap comes out. On a side note, Merc Pyro will pull about 80k less dps vs an equally skilled PT DPS and Sniper who do more dmg and have more utility than you.

You do have a valid point about the surge bonus diminishing at higher levels, so it's still a trade-off for some surge for some arp.

Edited by DkSharktooth

Thanks for the feedback. I know it was a long video, but I did mention somewhere that we didn't really need an interrupt but it would be nice to have. We need some root-type abilities and interrupt protection like snipers.

Have you tried your class on the PTS? I have, and the 30% arp doesn't feel to OP. We will see though, hopefully we get some utility buffs before live or at least when the new level cap comes out. On a side note, Merc Pyro vs an equally skilled PT DPS and Sniper will pull about 80k more dps than you per warzone and has alot more utility.

You do have a valid point about the surge bonus diminishing at higher levels, so it's still a trade-off for some surge for some arp.

I have tested on the PTS and I'm easily topping 600k in almost every WZ where I do not get regulated to babysitting. I've hit over 900k in Voidstar, but I think that was a major out-lie rather than something that could be done consistently. 7K HiB, 8k Full Autos, combined with the usual brokenness of elemental DOTs, it is kinda sick, and probably OP. Vanguards/PT took a pretty heavy nerf in 1.3 in the Assault/Pyro spec and were not keeping up.

In 1.2 as Assault I seem to consistently top equally geared/skilled Vanguards/PT, but maybe we are all bad. GS/Snipers, this seems to be hit or miss, but I can usually equal or beat them ones we see, but there are not many on my server which may be why. Sure the utility is nuts, but there is some drawbacks, requirement of cover and much of their utility burns GCDs which really cuts into DPS time.

Had a match the other day on PTR where I burned an Assassin down in three GCDs:

Adrenal > Incendiary Round (Crit 1.2K + burn) > HiB (Crit 7k) > Tech Override > Charged Bolts (Instant 1.8k proced Plasma Cell for another 600 burn) > HiB (Crit 7K)

That kind of sequence is not unusual in 1.3, it just kills stuff. I expect a nerf in 1.4.

I'll preface this by saying I haven't had a chance to play on the PTS yet, so feel free to disregard my opinion on those grounds if you like. I'm also mostly concerned about PvE, so you have 2 reasons to disregard me now!

The problem I have with the buff to the assault tree is that, since the skill is at the base, it is easily within reach of gunnery as well. And since gunnery commandos already have armor piercing cell equipped, and stack gravity rounds, they get GREATER benefit from it. This is because of the way diminishing returns works...reducing armor rating by 30% after already reducing it by 55% means more damage actually dealt for that 30%. Add in Curtain of Fire procs that mean many more uses of full auto for them, and it gets even better.

I love the feel and play style of the assault tree....but I fear in 1.3, it will simply be silly to choose it over gunnery.

I'll preface this by saying I haven't had a chance to play on the PTS yet, so feel free to disregard my opinion on those grounds if you like. I'm also mostly concerned about PvE, so you have 2 reasons to disregard me now!

The problem I have with the buff to the assault tree is that, since the skill is at the base, it is easily within reach of gunnery as well. And since gunnery commandos already have armor piercing cell equipped, and stack gravity rounds, they get GREATER benefit from it. This is because of the way diminishing returns works...reducing armor rating by 30% after already reducing it by 55% means more damage actually dealt for that 30%. Add in Curtain of Fire procs that mean many more uses of full auto for them, and it gets even better.

I love the feel and play style of the assault tree....but I fear in 1.3, it will simply be silly to choose it over gunnery.

Well Assault gets an additional 30% armor pen on HiB for a total of 60% armor pen on that ability which is enough.

I will say that for Assault the rotation is a lot more complex to hit top PVE numbers, but it does better in fights requiring movement since you never have to stop shooting. What this change does for Assault in PVE is that it moves Full Auto ahead of Charged Bolts in priority due to Full Auto proccing Ionic Accelerator at the start of the cast rather than at the end. Jury is still out, but best DPS appears to be let Full Auto tick twice then use HiB if it procced, or all ticks if it doesn't. I will hopefully get a chance to spend more time on the dummy tonight to get a better idea behind it.

To date on PTR I am hitting about 1700DPS with Gunnery and about 1800DPS with Assault on the Ops Dummy. When we take defense into account it probably ends up about equal. Note that I am not using the uber Alacrity build as my gear is not quite good enough (PVE Gear is mixed Rakata/Columi) which probably ends up helping Gunnery a lot more.

Good news is that on Live I am only hitting about 1200DPS with Gunnery but 1500DPS with Assault. The ammo management buff is a real boon, you rarely have to weave in a Hammer Shot to stay above 6 Ammo. The big thing is the Armor Pen to Full Auto. 10k Full Autos are not uncommon with a double crit. HiB buff was nice, and I think it makes the rotation a lot easier to maintain and it can and will hit harder than Demo Round.

i would love so much more for interrupt protection than an actual interrupt.

curtain of fire giving full auto full immunity to pushback and interrupts would be a strong step in the right direction imo

i also wish assault got more with 1.3 as the change to target lock is easily a boost to gunnery as it is assault (and really, more of a boost to gunnery)

i would like a skill that can automatically procs plasma cell. change weapon calibrations to give charged bolts a 50% chance per point to proc plasma cell. i'd be happy, even with the interrupt mania that would result in pvp

and with charged bolts now doing more, i wouldn't feel that the 2-set bonus in pve was so useless