Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Taugrim's "Iron Fist" 25/14/2 PVP Tank Spec [Video]

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Taugrim's "Iron Fist" 25/14/2 PVP Tank Spec [Video]

taugrimtaugrim
02.01.2012 , 03:47 PM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by Ecimon View Post
What is it exactly that makes oil slick that interesting? From where I stand it looks like a rather 'meh' talent, especially considering pvp. I was wondering if I'm missing some crucial point here, or would do I just aswell if I invested that point into maxing out shielded vents?
Against Gunslingers / Snipers and Jedi Knights / Sith Warriors, it lowers their chance to hit with many of their bread-and-butter attacks.
Taugrim
PVP Maven, Guide Writer, Host on GAMEBREAKER's The Republic show
@taugrim | taugrim.com
Guides: Resolve | Powertech/Vanguard PVP | Defense/Shielding | Bolster

taugrimtaugrim
02.01.2012 , 03:50 PM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by Rawksoss View Post
it really irks me when dpsers can't see past the big shiny numbers.
Yes, I have noticed that on both the Vanguard and Powertech forums.

As I'm learning on the forms here, people who are fixated on damage over utility, CC, mobility, etc, do not really value anything but their damage.

That's fine, if people want to only play DPS, that's their choice.

I rolled a Powertech and Vanguard to be able to "tank" in PVP at endgame, and it wasn't until I started playing my Iron Fist build that I found what I was looking for: an offensive tank that has good durability, good DPS, good mobility, and good CC. The spec doesn't have the ranged capability of other specs, and that's the tradeoff.
Taugrim
@taugrim | taugrim.com

taugrimtaugrim
02.01.2012 , 04:00 PM | #63
In regards to this...
Quote: Originally Posted by Krytycal View Post
I don't know if this was touched, but you mentioned that the heat management differences of this build compared to Parakeet is negligible. I'm not sure I agree with that.
...tbsly framed the issue well:
Quote: Originally Posted by tbsly View Post
no, you're not missing anything at all cp has better heat management. there can be no arguement about that if you're dpsing a single target or if your in a 1v1 situation.

the problem with cp is that you'll have to constantly be switching targets because for the most part they get blown up fast. each new target you'll want to reapply im. doing this alot will run your heat up quickly.
That's my perspective as well.

In an extended fight against the same target, the heat efficiency of CP is excellent. But oft times you have to do fast target switches and apply IM.

One thing about IM I've noticed is that as it costs 25 Heat, it can drop you below a passive venting threshold. That is 25 + 8 is worse than 16 + 16 when you end up under a threshold during your first GCD. Not a huge difference but it's something to keep in mind.
Taugrim
@taugrim | taugrim.com

taugrimtaugrim
02.01.2012 , 04:02 PM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by Umpire View Post
I thought energy was elemental damage for tech users. My b
Attack type and damage type are often confused but they are separate concepts.

http://taugrim.com/2012/01/19/unders.../#attack-types

Attack types: Force, Melee, Ranged, and Tech
Damage types: Elemental, Energy, Internal, Kinetic

If you have a tooltip that says an ability does weapon damage, check your weapon for its damage type.
Taugrim
@taugrim | taugrim.com

Umpire
02.01.2012 , 04:43 PM | #65
What impact does damage type have on the attack then?
The F_Swag Stream. High Caliber PVP and PVE.
[Fancy] Swag, The Turks | Powertech | Jedi Covenant

exphryl
02.01.2012 , 06:29 PM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by TristQueloon View Post
I know this is not a "DPS" build. More of an offensive tank.

But whats a good skill rotation.

I just switched to this form a 31pt AP spec. I dont really feel any "tankier" ( I used IGC even with AP) But I feel like I do alot less dmg.

Im sure its just me adjusting. But any help?

Right now I just leap in, RP, RS, explod dart, and FB till something is off cool down, all while following someone im guarding.
This is kind of my stance.

I see this build thriving more in "Group Play" more then anything else.

But to me, looking at the talents and how things are laid out I just can't see you coming out ahead in a 1v1 against a competent (and relatively geared) opponent. Minus the "lulz acid pit/fire pit" in Huttball.

If the aim is dealing with bad players in a 1v1 Situation, then yes, this build may excel. But then bad players will be bad players and falter to pretty much anything.

You just lack the extra dps tools other specs (and ST Variants) get to deal with these situations.

taugrimtaugrim
02.02.2012 , 02:41 AM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by exphryl View Post
But to me, looking at the talents and how things are laid out I just can't see you coming out ahead in a 1v1 against a competent (and relatively geared) opponent. Minus the "lulz acid pit/fire pit" in Huttball.
I've had no problems taking out other tanks and DPS in this spec 1v1. I feel like I have the tools to match up against anyone.

Just uploaded a video overnight showing a fight against what is probably an equally-geared Juggernaut and a better-geared Assasin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRCQf4cFghQ

More 1v1s to come.
Taugrim
@taugrim | taugrim.com

mugen_dom
02.02.2012 , 05:56 AM | #68
Question, with this build are you running the Supercommando or Equivalent in the vanguard that is? Do you run a generator or a shield with this spec?

tbsly
02.02.2012 , 06:36 AM | #69
just curious taugrim, what main hand weapon are you using right now on your trooper. ive got 2 atm because i had a duplicate. i have the supercommando weapon and the combat tech weapon. i thought long and hard about getting the combat medic weapon instead of the combat tech weapon.

tbsly
02.02.2012 , 06:44 AM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by mugen_dom View Post
Question, with this build are you running the Supercommando or Equivalent in the vanguard that is? Do you run a generator or a shield with this spec?
he's wearing the 4 piece combat tech set with a shield in his offhand.