Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Taugrim's "Iron Fist" 25/14/2 PVP Tank Spec [Video]

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Taugrim's "Iron Fist" 25/14/2 PVP Tank Spec [Video]

taugrimtaugrim
02.14.2012 , 11:46 AM | #151
Quote: Originally Posted by Dharagada View Post
I actually use S + F for my strafing.

I guess you use W + R to easier reach the number keys?
Yep.

But S/F works as well as W/R. The main thing is to make sure that you are using your ring and index fingers to strafe, because it's intuitive. Some people use pinky and middle finger, which doesn't make sense, and you'll get carpal tunnel in your pinky.
Taugrim
PVP Maven, Guide Writer, Host on GAMEBREAKER's The Republic show
@taugrim | taugrim.com
Guides: Resolve | Powertech/Vanguard PVP | Defense/Shielding | Bolster

Stabbitha
02.14.2012 , 06:20 PM | #152
Yeah, ESDF user here from way back and I just can't figure why people use WASD, but I am a touchtyper and the neutral position is with the index finger of the left hand on F. Certainly gives you access to everything you need with all the extra letter keys rebound to abilities, natural position for shift etc.

No criticism for people who are used to wasd, but it seems like they are locking themselves out of a more central position on the keyboard and putting a lot of load on the index/middle finger while underutilising the ring/pinky.

iMakesh
02.14.2012 , 08:41 PM | #153
Quote: Originally Posted by taugrimtaugrim View Post
Some people use pinky and middle finger, which doesn't make sense, and you'll get carpal tunnel in your pinky.
Wow, that sounds really uncomfortable.

taugrimtaugrim
02.17.2012 , 03:13 PM | #154
UPDATE (2012/02/17): with the nerf to Surge Rating in 1.1.3, burst damage is down significantly for all players and time-to-kill has increased. An implication is that "mana" management has become more important.

As such, I moved the point in Oil Slick over to the second point in Shield Vents. The idea here is to get your internal cooldown on the Heat vent proc from SV ticking as fast as possible.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#30...RroMZMcrroZb.1
Taugrim
@taugrim | taugrim.com

KungpowSalmon
02.17.2012 , 03:27 PM | #155
UPDATE (2012/02/17): with the nerf to Surge Rating in 1.1.3, burst damage is down significantly for all players and time-to-kill has increased. An implication is that "mana" management has become more important.

As such, I moved the point in Oil Slick over to the second point in Shield Vents. The idea here is to get your internal cooldown on the Heat vent proc from SV ticking as fast as possible.

Thanks for the update. Gonna try this out tonight.
Quote: Originally Posted by Yfelsung View Post
Quitting a losing warzone is only a few steps down from flipping over a checker board the minute you're forced to king your opponent.

Athilias
02.17.2012 , 03:50 PM | #156
Quote: Originally Posted by Stabbitha View Post
Yeah, ESDF user here from way back and I just can't figure why people use WASD, but I am a touchtyper and the neutral position is with the index finger of the left hand on F. Certainly gives you access to everything you need with all the extra letter keys rebound to abilities, natural position for shift etc.

No criticism for people who are used to wasd, but it seems like they are locking themselves out of a more central position on the keyboard and putting a lot of load on the index/middle finger while underutilising the ring/pinky.
I actually still use WASD, I just have a Naga. I never had trouble before the Naga however, just have to get used to moving your hand around the keyboard well. I'm constantly switching what fingers are moving with WASD. I could probably get rid of the S since I never back up anyway, but just haven't had the need. I reach all the way to M-J-U-7 keys easily, and haven't need anymore keys while playing, and it never really effected my speed in hitting them either. 24 possible ability keys this way, not including using shift or ctrl for them.

I honestly think the bigger thing is knowing how to strafe, and properly setting your key binds to the proper keys, rather then getting use to this 2 key strafe system. Such as any ability that's going to plant you anyway (like unload) might not need a key bind right next to your fingers. My unload is actually set to ctrl+f for example.

Then again, maybe I'm just too lazy to bother switching to this sort of strafe. Using my thumb to hit keys is pretty easy as is. I think this type of 2 key strafe will be much less needed as there are tons of multi button mouses out there.

Umpire
02.17.2012 , 05:08 PM | #157
I still use WASD and wind up having my pinky on A a lot while I auto run.
I'm a piano and guitar player so I guess I just have more muscles there than you people
The F_Swag Stream. High Caliber PVP and PVE.
[Fancy] Swag, The Turks | Powertech | Jedi Covenant

exphryl
02.17.2012 , 07:17 PM | #158

I'd honestly say, just put a priority on +Power.

Your TTK won't change really at all..(Especially with such a high crit chance on RP it might even kill faster). A stat that was seemingly overlooked with all the Crit/Surge Stackers, is incredibly powerful...
E x p h r y l | <Exiled Disciples> Daragon Trail
| ---------- Want to see Pyro Burst Potential in 1.2? Watch This! -----------|
| Valor 90+ Powertech | |Thinking of Rolling a Pyro or Assault VG? Read this Guide |
|
|Guild Website | Youtube| Cassie - 50 Operative | Krelia - 50 Sorcerer|

taugrimtaugrim
02.17.2012 , 08:14 PM | #159
Quote: Originally Posted by exphryl View Post
I'd honestly say, just put a priority on +Power.

Your TTK won't change really at all..(Especially with such a high crit chance on RP it might even kill faster). A stat that was seemingly overlooked with all the Crit/Surge Stackers, is incredibly powerful...
Understood.

In my Guide, Power has become the top damage-related stat with the changes in 1.1.3.
Taugrim
@taugrim | taugrim.com

mugen_dom
02.18.2012 , 12:38 AM | #160
I think Post patch Ive done MORE damage actually in the eliminator gear