Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Taugrim's "Iron Fist" 25/14/2 PVP Tank Spec [Video]

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Taugrim's "Iron Fist" 25/14/2 PVP Tank Spec [Video]

Alkaholic's Avatar


Alkaholic
02.11.2012 , 05:44 PM | #141
Quote: Originally Posted by Doozzer View Post
just moved some flavor around in the shieldtech tree to get mitigation over dps.

dropped rail loaders, steely resolve. put them into vents, ablatives, rebraced armor.

its just a matter of taste, really. I personally have a higher opinion of the shield mechanic than Taugrim does, so I spoil it accordingly. Its all semantics though- the cornerstones of the Iron Fist build are still functioning as planned in Doozie flavor.
An actual link would be even better...

NYSelly's Avatar


NYSelly
02.13.2012 , 09:15 AM | #142
I've just hit level 50 and my goal is to do both PvP & PvE tanking. Since I'm a fresh 50 I'm focusing on getting my first set of gear together so I don't have the ability to swap pieces in and out for each situation yet.

I'm running the IF spec and plan on going with the 4 piece Combat Tech. Do you swap out any of the mods on CT gear? It looks like it has an excessive amount of accuracy mods which might be better off with crit or surge.

Also, does anyone have experience running IF with the combat tech while tanking hardmode flashpoints? How well does it stand up to the damage. Thanks!

tbsly's Avatar


tbsly
02.13.2012 , 09:55 AM | #143
I would rethink the combat tech set if you're a bounty hunter. The 2 piece set bonus is broken and makes your carbonize worthless. I have both the combat tech set and the eliminator set.

Until the combat tech set is fixed I cannot justify using it or the ironfist spec. If you're a BH you're pretty much forced into using eliminator or supercommando. If using the eliminator set, carolina parakeet synergizes better with it.

I've tried both CP and ironfist. I personally didn't notice a whole lot more survivability with ironfist. The problem I run into on my server is that we have very few healers in general that queue for wz's. With no heals I notice very little difference between 4% dr vs. 3% endurance the CP spec offers.

Zaganna's Avatar


Zaganna
02.13.2012 , 10:47 AM | #144
Hi.
First thank you for this build. I figured out something similar for the playstile of my PT that i wish to use, but this build gives a lot of usefull discussion about.

I had only one question. I'm sorry if is already posted...but this thread as become long indeed.
What's the purpose of Rectracteble Blade?

It deals less damage than Rocket punch, but at the same heat (16), both of them add Dot on the target.
Since RS has a bigger cd than Rocket punch i can say that i'll have always a Rocket punch ready whend RS's cd is over, also whend i shield and attacck , rocket punch will be ready again.

Rectracteble Blade doesn't have a cd, which is good. But if i'm at close melee should be enought Flame Burst?

Rectracteble Blade should be a "safe dot" ability to use in case RS is ready, but Rocket punch isn't?
It's better Flame Burst or Rectracteble Blade whend it's Dot over?

taugrimtaugrim's Avatar


taugrimtaugrim
02.13.2012 , 02:45 PM | #145
Quote: Originally Posted by NYSelly View Post
Also, does anyone have experience running IF with the combat tech while tanking hardmode flashpoints? How well does it stand up to the damage. Thanks!
I tanked all 7 Hard Mode Flashpoints with Iron Fist, using whatever +Shield / +Defense gear I could cobble together - in my case, mostly the tanking PVP gear.

It works fine.

Quote: Originally Posted by tbsly View Post
I would rethink the combat tech set if you're a bounty hunter. The 2 piece set bonus is broken and makes your carbonize worthless. I have both the combat tech set and the eliminator set.

Until the combat tech set is fixed I cannot justify using it or the ironfist spec. If you're a BH you're pretty much forced into using eliminator or supercommando. If using the eliminator set, carolina parakeet synergizes better with it.
Yea for Powertech I'd go 4-pc Supercommando and swap out the mods until the 2-pc set bonus bug is fixed.

Quote: Originally Posted by Zaganna View Post
I had only one question. I'm sorry if is already posted...but this thread as become long indeed.
What's the purpose of Rectracteble Blade?

It deals less damage than Rocket punch, but at the same heat (16), both of them add Dot on the target.
Since RS has a bigger cd than Rocket punch i can say that i'll have always a Rocket punch ready whend RS's cd is over, also whend i shield and attacck , rocket punch will be ready again.

Rectracteble Blade doesn't have a cd, which is good. But if i'm at close melee should be enought Flame Burst?

Rectracteble Blade should be a "safe dot" ability to use in case RS is ready, but Rocket punch isn't?
It's better Flame Burst or Rectracteble Blade whend it's Dot over?
RB is simply another tool to work with.

It has a long 15-sec DoT, so you can apply it to be a would-be node capper and go beat on someone else while your DoT'd target wastes time trying to cap a node.

RB's DoT is also Internal damage, so it's unmitigated by Armor.

Also, keep in mind RB keeps ticking even while you are CC'd.

All that said, as you noted, RP is the highest-priority attack in melee range.

Whether you apply FB or RB depends on whether you've already debuffed the target, what they're trying to do, and where their HP is at.
Taugrim
PVP Maven, Guide Writer, Host on GAMEBREAKER's The Republic show
@taugrim | taugrim.com
Guides: Resolve | Powertech/Vanguard PVP | Defense/Shielding | Bolster

NYSelly's Avatar


NYSelly
02.13.2012 , 03:19 PM | #146
Thanks for the replies.

As far as the broken 2 piece bonus, since I picked up cybertech as my crew skill I can make a PBAOE stun grenade which would replace carbonize until it's fixed so I'm not too worried about that. The thing I like about IF as opposed to CP is that it is more similar to a pure tanking build and going between the two wouldn't require as much of a change in playstyle from PvP to PvE.

Sasheria's Avatar


Sasheria
02.13.2012 , 04:29 PM | #147
Good info here I am trying to move away from WASD keybind but it is hard!!!!! luckily I solo a lot while trying to get to 50 so I can slowly change and see.

Kamikaze's Avatar


Kamikaze
02.13.2012 , 04:55 PM | #148
Why W-R for strafe? For me at least it's much easier to hit the keys above my fingers (rather than the ones below), so S-F is better for me. Q-T, A, G become your main "letter" keys. The bottom row is used for the less frequently used combat skills.

Do you use your thumb to hit some the lower keys on the W-R setup?
----------JurMajesty----------
Jedi Guardian
Prophecy of the Five

Hartburn's Avatar


Hartburn
02.13.2012 , 09:06 PM | #149
First of all, thank you Taugrim for your awesome guides. I quite enjoy them and they have helped me a lot throughout several games. Leveling a Vaguard now working up to the IF build.

To those that haven't switched over to W/R, do it now. I was a WASD'er for years and finally just 1 day switched to WER (i still like E to run forward if I don't want to use the mouse for it) while leveling and I am so glad I did. Just switch over to it, run around for a few hours doing dailies or whatever, and I promise you you will be happy you did, especially if you PvP a lot.
"If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven."

Dharagada's Avatar


Dharagada
02.14.2012 , 06:42 AM | #150
I actually use S + F for my strafing.

I guess you use W + R to easier reach the number keys?

Got a razer naga for as a gift couple of years ago so I don't have to worry about reaching them, but I still like to use the keys around my movement keys, especially in game like this where there are so many abilities.