In Praise of the 6.1.1 Conquest Overhaul

xordevoreaux

I'm posting this to rise above the din of a few ardent nay-sayers. The Devs need to see there's also a solid, positive response to the 6.1.1 changes.

First, the ding:

Give us an option in preferences to suppress the conquest update message. If it's felt by the devs that it's necessary for us to know on the HUD our real-time advancement of conquest points, then put a (small) progress wheel somewhere out of the way, but even that might prove too much clutter for some. It could be a third, thin progress bar beneath our renown bar.

Now the praise:

This system is by far the most generous and widely-available conquest system ever, and that's a good thing.

6.1.1 addresses many of the shortfalls and perceived sleights many players have posted on the forum.

The ease of access for conquest points ensures that soloers, role-players who don't engage in certain content, casual players with limited time to play, and members in small guilds have an abundance of choice and opportunity. Good job.

Gone is the need to follow a pre-defined sluice of just a few options to reach personal weekly conquest, a sluice which, for some, proved a hurdle to achieving personal goals because not everyone could or would jump into that sluice. Good job.

The ability for players playing low-level characters to acquire significant conquest points is a huge gain for guilds of all sizes. As a guild leader, no longer am I looking at the roster, seeing a bunch of under-30 somethings logged on, and having to think to myself that they'll be able to contribute to conquest meaningfully... eventually.

6.1.1 grants them that power now, right where they are in terms of their progress, and doing what they're doing. Good job.

The pendulum has swung in the right direction for conquest.

Thank you, EA.

Edited by xordevoreaux

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

* There is now a massive 400% increase to conquest people make. It is almost exclusively limited to grinding planetary missions and doing menial tasks at fleet. Any and all content that requires other people to happen got excluded from this new, sick conquest. GSF and PvP actually got nerfed. Bioware, please don't excluce ALL of the content that involves&requires other people from this new Conquest.

____________________Planetaries vs. Other content____________________

I've done some testing. NONE of this is some estimate, all of this is stuff I've done and timed myself. 150% SH bonus. None of this is some crazy time attack mode, I've been sure to pick unoptimal stuff and derp around some.

None of this involves the massive few min conq haul you get via fleet, unless otherwise stated. No crafting, no gifting companions, no selling garbage etc.

Here is a video showing just how long it takes to earn 56k conq via Galactic Starfighter.

Stamp sized vid covering chat window is me doing planetaries. Planetaries brought 57k conq in 11 mins. I'm not even done with the 1st GSF match in 11 mins. Took just about 90 mins to earn 56k conq in GSF. (Warzones and FPs are in this ballpark too) Full sized version of the stamp-vid is on the same channel.

Do planetaries for 11 mins - 57.000 conquest.

Do daily menial tasks and one planetary mission in 4 mins - 50.000k conquest.

Do planetaries for 90 mins - 224.000 conquest.

Do a flashpoint. 30 mins. - B]20.000 conquest.[/b]

Do 9 matches of GSF in 90 mins - 60.000 conquest.

Here is a video of this wonderful, balanced new conquest system in action:

Pls note: I'm not very good at playing a Sin. These are likely not the best missions for this.Precious little here is " optimal". 57k in 11 mins. No crafting, gifting etc included in this.

No other content SWTOR has is in this ballpark; New conquest system simply excluded everything except planetaries. All the rest operates within boundaries and rates of the old conq system.

I suppose there is some sad irony in how PvP, FPs,OPs and GSF are in pretty good balance when compared to one another. You will prolly earn around 20k per 30 mins in each. Planetaries are close to 100k in 30 mins or so.

There are about 100 planetary daily repeatables available. Every week. No other playstyle has even 10% of that available!! Here's a nifty list: https://imgur.com/9GRp73o

Assuming we have alreaady earned the very generous 10k+5k daily dings from doing a single heroic and from doing a single bonus and assuing we never ding a signle renown level at all, then clearing a single planet out of daily repeatable goals is around 23k conquest. Doing 1-2 missions on every planet and killing 50 mobs while at it is something around 700.000-800.0000k conquest. This haul is available for you to pursue every day. Every week. See how attainable such massive haul is via any other playstyle.

Please include multiplayer content as part of this new conquest too. :)

There are basically two conquest systems active now. Old and the new. All multiplayer content simply got excluded from the new system. For the most part, only soloable planetary missions and menial bits got included to the new system.

Beyond this, the new system has some really nice new supplementaries like, say, the space pve ding. In addition, it offers you the menial bits (sell junk, give gifts etc) as a borderline daily log in reward for anyone, no matter the playstyle. However, meat ofthe new system for somebody who likes to earn lots of conq is all about planetaries. That is where vast majority of conq earned comes now for these folks.

Warzones, FPs, Ops, and GSF still run within framework and points of the old conquest system. Well, GSF and WZs actually got nerfed, but anyway. All these activities are roughly in line with one another. Spend 30 mins doing any of this stuff, and you will get around 20k conquest, give or take. In decent balance when compared to one another, and utterly broken and cast aside when compared to doing straightforward planetary dailies. Spend that 30 mins doing planetaries instead and you are somewhere around 100k conq or so. 400-500% times more than you would with content that requires other people to even happen.

We don't have a situation where planetary missions&selling vendor trash-tier of stuff and doing group content were somehow equal. Stuff that requires other people, queue pools or some effort is by far LESS REWARDING than giving gifts or facerolling heroics.

This state of affairs is such that you can't really even ridicule it. " What's next, a button you press in fleet for earning conq?" Well, yeah, you pretty much literally have a couple of those as daily repetables now.

Please elevate content that requires other people to same level with soloable straightforward stuff!!

Edited by Stradlin

Well, I see Mr. Grouchypants has crashed the party...

Anyway, I love the new system. I'm a one-person guild these days with lots of alts. With the old system and my current playtime, I could get 1 or 2 characters to the conquest cap. There's one week where I can get up to 7 or even 8 and that's the week where you can do lots of crafting to get points.

Yesterday, I got 4 characters to conquest cap. It was exhilarating. I'm going to shoot for all my characters to hit the cap this week (30 characters), a goal I never thought possible.

The ability for players playing low-level characters to acquire significant conquest points is a huge gain for guilds of all sizes. As a guild leader, no longer am I looking at the roster, seeing a bunch of under-30 somethings logged on, and having to think to myself that they'll be able to contribute to conquest meaningfully... eventually.

6.1.1 grants them that power now, right where they are in terms of their progress, and doing what they're doing. Good job.

It's also nice for the lowbies that we don't have to wait until higher levels to participate in Conquest. It encourages alt-play. In fact with the double XP and other XP bonuses, my new Bounty Hunter has hit the Conquest target before even finishing the prologue.

BW removed a pretty fun end game replacement and turned it into a daily log in reward. And people cheer.

No, they added more options for people who don't like the same thing as you. You can still do the content you love, while others do the content they love. Is some of the CQ points earned differently, yes, does it change how you can play, no.

The only people that will really lose out in this is the mat sellers, because with more people earning mats, the prices might come down.

No, they added more options for people who don't like the same thing as you. You can still do the content you love, while others do the content they love. Is some of the CQ points earned differently, yes, does it change how you can play, no.

The only people that will really lose out in this is the mat sellers, because with more people earning mats, the prices might come down.

Its just that options present are far removed from being equal in value. Some incredibly simplistic and straightforward things give much more conq much faster than stuff that requires multiple people. Spend 10 mins in fleet giving gifts and selling vendor trash and you've made more conquest than you earn in an fp. Or in wz/gsf match. Do you think this is..balanced? Having rewards from grp content be equal in value to vendor trash would be swell.

Its just that options present are far removed from being equal in value. Some incredibly simplistic and straightforward things give much more conq much faster than stuff that requires multiple people. Spend 10 mins in fleet giving gifts and selling vendor trash and you've made more conquest than you earn in an fp. Or in wz/gsf match. Do you think this is..balanced? Having rewards from grp content be equal in value to vendor trash would be swell.

The old CQ system was the same, some things that took longer got less points, etc. Admittedly the newer system stretches that even more. And chances are, it'll be tweaked along the road. But the system is better than it used to be, opens it up to lower level players in a way it hasn't before. It's not perfect, but I'd prefer to think of it as a work in progression, as time moves on, the devs will tweak it, fix it, and eventually have a system that most people will be happy enough with. We'll never be able to please everyone, but that is life :)

I generally like the diversity in the revamped system, but I agree that the rewards are ludicrous. Things like vendoring trash should have a lower reward, be made once-a-week instead of repeatable, or both.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see some reward tweaking as we settle into the new system and the devs start looking at the data.

I am ecstatic about these new wide-ranging changes, especially in regards to the effect on low-level players and small guilds. I admit the numbers need to be tweaked for things like selling vendor trash, giving a companion a gift, and raising the influence rank of a companion, because the current 5k does seem really overboard.

I know the detractor thinks this is an easy login and win system, but I saw yesterday some new and returning players in my recently revived small alt guild get excited when they saw they had helped the guild get to rank 9. they were shouting in our discord and it felt great to hear. Its not something that I've heard in quite some time.

so thank you for these changes. hopefully this will give our new and returning members the incentive they needed to stick around and play this awesome game.

I generally like the diversity in the revamped system, but I agree that the rewards are ludicrous. Things like vendoring trash should have a lower reward, be made once-a-week instead of repeatable, or both.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see some reward tweaking as we settle into the new system and the devs start looking at the data.

Remember it's not all level 75's participating in conquest. A level 10 wants to feel like he can contribute, and not just a few piddly points, but really contribute. He can do Esseles, he can't run NIM ops. So by giving him points, meaningful points, for things that he CAN do, he's being included. Giving him far reduced points for doing what he can do would basically relegate him to the same non-contributory status that he had before. He now has, even as a lowby, significance toward his guild's overall prospects.

Edited by xordevoreaux

As I said in another thread, I think maybe some of the easy objectives could be locked behind the 10-50 level range. But I think overall the changes are nice, that you can do whatever you want and hit cq. You play more than an hour a day, you'll burn those really easy ones. I went and did the Belsavis bonus series yesterday, with the dailies that used to be repeatable and seem to be again? I haven't done that in years, it was fun little nostalgia.

Also, people are still ev farming, do with that what you will. There's also people who never pay attention to conquest, people seem to think it's the all encompassing thing, but a lot of people barely touch it, including this games influencers and their chats.

Conquest, hasn't pushed me to do group content in over 3 years, and when I did specifically for conquest, we were doing Last boss lockouts. My guild has basically died since then, but the few of us left, still like getting cq, but rarely group. It can be really taxing on me, because I'll push 20 characters through so we can hit 2 mil. This helps us get to 2mil without me feeling really burnt out and only focusing cq when I play.

Do I think there needs to be some balancing passes, sure, but the inclusion of all the objectives is a good thing.

My first impression is that the change is amazing. I am saying that as a person in a small guild with lots of alts.

Yes, it may be a bit strange to get conquest points for sending your companions on five crew skill missions, and downright ridiculous to get them for sending your companion to sell trash items, but I am very happy for such an option being there if I'm trying to do a conquest with more than one character (which quite a lot of people do) and most importantly, if I'm trying to reach the weekly goal for a very small guild.

These tiny weird ways to get points disregarding, I am actually super happy that you get various "rampages" for basically any planet; something that FINALLY rewards us "altaholics", making it possible to reach the conquest goal even when we, say, have a level 20 character on Taris who couldn't under the previous circumstances afford to even travel to, say, Ilum and do a rampage there, or whatever.

People who want more challenge can always aspire for the top-tier goals. I am sure there are ways to do it.

On behalf of a very large population, on behalf of our guild in particular, I am happy, happy, happy; THANK YOU devs, this is without debate and update done RIGHT.

(Similarly, I would like to thank for sorting through the planetary continuation quests. It could still do with having some more clearly marked, different colour or something - like idk, orange arrows or whatever - to clearly set it apart from "normal" heroic missions on first sight. MOST OF ALL, I would like to thank the devs for NOT TAKING ANYTHING AWAY - like it happened when the Heroics were overhauled. I feel like that needs [sadly] to be stressed over and over again to make sure that it doesn't happen again.)

THANK YOU. THE CONQUEST CHANGES ARE GREAT, there are certainly tweaks you can do, but the generic idea could remain similar to this.

Just as a sidenote-

As I said in another thread, I think maybe some of the easy objectives could be locked behind the 10-50 level range.

Not behind level, please. These days, a newly made character that plays the game from start gets to level 50 somewhere around Act 1 finale if it isn't trying too hard. Conquest should have nothing to do with level (and in my personal opinion, should not have anything to do with where you are in the game overall, even though obviously the chief target audience are those who have completed the entire in-game content and are bored. But why shouldn't I be able to do the conquest with my level 25 character on Nar Shaddaa, if I want to?).

Overall, I like the conquest changes. I think some of the objective could use some minor adjustment.

Other than that, I'd like to see the following:

• Add an option to suppress the objective completion pop-up or allow us to configure size / location in the interface editor
  • Add more objective searching / filtering. I like that you can sort by "Type", but I think the objectives really need to be a table with various attributes that we can sort on similar to the guild roster. For example, I'd like to be able to group all the Bonus Series together, but the sort by type groups doesn't do that. I'd also like to be able to sort by location(how they are named, that's kind of already there). I just think a table with columns might be the most flexible to find what you want.

snip

But why shouldn't I be able to do the conquest with my level 25 character on Nar Shaddaa, if I want to?).

I'm not saying to lock lowbies out of objectives, I'm saying, the gifting a companion and selling vendor trash, could maybe be locked to the 10-50 bracket, and not given to the level 75 bracket. Because they are more of an introductory objective.

I'm not saying to lock lowbies out of objectives, I'm saying, the gifting a companion and selling vendor trash, could maybe be locked to the 10-50 bracket, and not given to the level 75 bracket. Because they are more of an introductory objective.

Every single day, you can pretty much reach your target by doing this low effort busywork. Takes 10 mins. Restrict it to 10-50 and lvl 10-50 characters become far more efficient conq farmers than max level characters are. In terms of sanity, that'd def be in line with rest of this mess. Turning this junk into weekly dings..or removing a digit from rewards would be the reasonable thing I think. Doing stuff with other people in this multiplayer game is currently less valued than selling vendor trash. lol

Edited by Stradlin

Sorry for causing confusion: I jumped too far ahead by using this example. I only meant by it to illustrate what I said before: that level should not matter in the conquest AT ALL, whether you are low or high level. This was an example for the low level, because I spent the rest of the post talking about high level. But high level was my starting point. Like I said, high-level people should not be limited from getting conquest points for "random nonsense", because even a level 75 character can be actually character who in practice just happened to level up really fast but in terms of gameplay, is nowhere (maybe leveled up through pvp but doesn't even yet have a personal ship or whatever). Or it can be just the 10th alt of somebody who needs to provide for a small guild and has already run out of all other objectives.

I don't see why having an extra option is a problem. If I am a level 75 character with all the access to everything, I get 5000 extra points for selling trash once, and so what? Why not.

Give few gifts to your companion. Sell vendor trash. Take a taxi. Recalibrate a mod on your gear. Do a few crew missions. Place 5 deco in your SH. Grats, you've now made more conquest doing some of the most straightforward, low effort and air headed things possible than you'd get by spending 35-45 mins in content requiring groups, group finders and queue pools. Do you truly consider that as good game design?

Lemme reiterate. We don't have a situation where selling vendor trash-tier of stuff and doing group content were somehow equal. Stuff that requires other people, queue pools or some effort is by far LESS REWARDING than giving gifts to your companion. Does this feel right?

Do the hamster wheel of irrelevant busy work from fleet and go to your SH and place five deco. Spend two mins doing any of the several face roll heroic missions. Grats, you've reached your conq target. You've also earned far more conquest than somebody doing PvP or GSF manages in an hour or two. Sell vendor trash-tier of idiocy is not an "equal" way of earning conq when compared to grp stuff. Vendor trash way is far superior and more fficient.

This state of affairs is such that you can't really even ridicule it. " What's next, a button you press in fleet for earning conq?" Well, yeah, you pretty much literally have a couple of those as daily repetables now. BW removed a pretty fun end game replacement and turned it into a daily log in reward. And people cheer.

It seems like you value group content enough to feel it should receive funneling by other game elements that are not inherently group play (Not confusing social play *Guilds w/ Group play). SWToR like it or not is as much a single player RPG as it is an MMO and one does not over ride the other.

Conquest as a system is to motivate all types of players to participate in whatever activities they like with some benefit to the group aspect of the game but requiring that it funnel people to a specific type of play (group content) means people are now playing something they may not want to play.

If people want to play Ops they will...If they want to sit in their Stronghold and place decorations they will, no reason to make one style of play more rewarding than any other. The reward for playing group and solo content should be fun... If it's not fun for you don't play it.

Honestly funneling people to specific types of play in some cases covers up a failing portion of the game to keep resources deployed to that area even if its failing to draw players by way of good, fun design.

I love solo RPG play in SWToR and I love PvP...Would love to see the Ops but have no desire to deal with more than a few people in a group.

I like the new conquest system...I like playing my lowbie toons and getting conquest... I Like occasionally getting conquest when not even trying...

Edited by Soljin

Every single day, you can pretty much reach your target by doing this low effort busywork. Takes 10 mins. Restrict it to 10-50 and lvl 10-50 characters become far more efficient conq farmers than max level characters are. In terms of sanity, that'd def be in line with rest of this mess. Turning this junk into weekly dings..or removing a digit from rewards would be the reasonable thing I think. Doing stuff with other people in this multiplayer game is currently less valued than selling vendor trash. lol

Honestly, didn't even think about that.

Sorry for causing confusion: I jumped too far ahead by using this example. I only meant by it to illustrate what I said before: that level should not matter in the conquest AT ALL, whether you are low or high level. This was an example for the low level, because I spent the rest of the post talking about high level. But high level was my starting point. Like I said, high-level people should not be limited from getting conquest points for "random nonsense", because even a level 75 character can be actually character who in practice just happened to level up really fast but in terms of gameplay, is nowhere (maybe leveled up through pvp but doesn't even yet have a personal ship or whatever). Or it can be just the 10th alt of somebody who needs to provide for a small guild and has already run out of all other objectives.

I don't see why having an extra option is a problem. If I am a level 75 character with all the access to everything, I get 5000 extra points for selling trash once, and so what? Why not.

I understand this perspective too, and sorry, because it was my fault, not yours, I missed the point.

So I guess I retract the bracket idea. As I said, I like the changes, but it does feel like there needs to be some kind of balancing done still.

Edited by Krazhez

I also like the new system a lot. It's not perfect and there are some objectives and values that need tweaking, especially on the lower end, but it is a very big step in the right direction as far as turning it into a system that is valuable for a much broader player base.

The pop ups need to become part of the Interface Editor though and we need an option to turn them of if we don't want it spamming our screen (along with the stronghold and guild pop ups). I'd also like it if the bonus series objectives not only granted you the initial wrapper quest but transported you to the quest giver at the spaceport of the corresponding planet like the Heroic Missions from the Activity Finder do.

Edited by Phazonfreak

I'm on board with the fact that I can now do conquest on most of my toons if this pace were to keep up each week (I'm sure objectives and their values will continue to change with each different conquest week as they always have...). Before, depending on the specific conquest weeks, I could look at the list of objectives and, based on my playstyle, get conquest on most of my toons to help three guilds, or have to limit to just the one single toon in one guild, maybe two toons tops, because of that week's objectives being too hard/time-consuming to do more than a couple times over a whole week. I don't think I'll have to worry about spare weeks like that anymore.

My issue, initially, is seeing these two objectives with the same, ludicrously low value: Operation: Veteran and Operation: Master. Both (with all of the various boosts I've got on my legacy) were for less than 11k points. This used to bug me about the Veteran mission before these changes (it was about the same value). Why does the highlighted SM Op give three times the point value as doing a Vet of any Op? And now why does it give three times the value of a Master? Why are Vet and Master given the same low value? It boggles the mind.

I'M NOT EVEN A RAIDER and I see that as ridiculous. Those point values for doing the hardest content in the game should be wildly higher in my opinion. It takes far more time and coordination than a measly 11k implies (especially in light of the content you are being rewarded over 33k for), and is expensive to boot with repair costs, respecs, and other incidental costs related to running this content.

I think if we're going to be so generous with run of the mill, easy, solo content (which is perfectly fine for me), why are we being so stingy to the harder content? (Perhaps the same could be said of better rewarding PvP, ranked in particular, but I did not look at the PvP objectives that closely) Instead of making the MMO players mad about the "ease" of earning conquest now, why not just increase their gains, too? How is one hurting the other in either case that way?

I'm not opposed to there being vastly more options to complete conquest objectives, but two things need to change:

1. By far most importantly, let us move, resize, and/or turn off the intrusive conquest pop-up. It may not bother people doing easy content, but in PvP and NiM ops it can mean the difference between seeing an important mechanic or targeting something quickly, and dying or wiping your group.

2. Make the new objectives reward points based on the time effort it requires to complete that objective. Giving a companion a gift shouldn't be as rewarding as a group finder op. Both are easy, but one takes significantly longer. Make it so that CP/hr are relatively constant across all activities, barring a few unintended outliers which can be fixed individually (ex: KP trash).

I'm not opposed to there being vastly more options to complete conquest objectives, but two things need to change:

1. By far most importantly, let us move, resize, and/or turn off the intrusive conquest pop-up. It may not bother people doing easy content, but in PvP and NiM ops it can mean the difference between seeing an important mechanic or targeting something quickly, and dying or wiping your group.

2. Make the new objectives reward points based on the time effort it requires to complete that objective. Giving a companion a gift shouldn't be as rewarding as a group finder op. Both are easy, but one takes significantly longer. Make it so that CP/hr are relatively constant across all activities, barring a few unintended outliers which can be fixed individually (ex: KP trash).

I think time spent is a good measure but effort not so much. Effort tolerances vary...Since that is the case you end up removing the most efficient ways to gather conquest from a large portion of the population (Average skill players myself included) and as a side effect bolstering "Elitism". AKA the rich get richer...

Yeah, it's definitely a more fairer system. The old system was weighted too much towards Operations and crafting. Some of the objectives are super simple though, such as change an amplifier, put 5 decorations down, take a taxi, give a gift to companion etc.

I'm posting this to rise above the din of a few ardent nay-sayers. The Devs need to see there's also a solid, positive response to the 6.1.1 changes.

First, the ding:

Give us an option in preferences to suppress the conquest update message. If it's felt by the devs that it's necessary for us to know on the HUD our real-time advancement of conquest points, then put a (small) progress wheel somewhere out of the way, but even that might prove too much clutter for some. It could be a third, thin progress bar beneath our renown bar.

Now the praise:

This system is by far the most generous and widely-available conquest system ever, and that's a good thing.

6.1.1 addresses many of the shortfalls and perceived sleights many players have posted on the forum.

The ease of access for conquest points ensures that soloers, role-players who don't engage in certain content, casual players with limited time to play, and members in small guilds have an abundance of choice and opportunity. Good job.

Gone is the need to follow a pre-defined sluice of just a few options to reach personal weekly conquest, a sluice which, for some, proved a hurdle to achieving personal goals because not everyone could or would jump into that sluice. Good job.

The pendulum has swung in the right direction for conquest.

Thank you, EA.

I was thinking you taught me a new word, so i had to look up "sluice." Sluice means:

1. A sliding gate or other device for controlling the flow of water, especially one in a lock gate.

2. An act of rinsing or showering with water. "A sluice with cold water."

verb: sluice; 3rd person present: sluices; past tense: sluiced; past participle: sluiced; gerund or present participle: sluicing. Wash or rinse freely with a stream or shower of water. "she sluiced her face in cold water."

Where did you get the use of this word from? I never heard the word before so I was surprised it existed lol. Kudos for using it, but I think it's not what you mean. But i still got what you meant, even though you used this alien word. :p