Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Side Strats Suck


BlissDivine's Avatar


BlissDivine
09.13.2018 , 05:51 AM | #1
On the maps Alderaan Civil War and Yavin Ruins I see way too many teams starting out using "Side Strats". This is where the team tries to get the two side nodes which are farthest apart.

The average player in regs is not good at rotating to defend the node that's being attacked. They are either too slow to rotate or over-rotate. This is why this strategy usually fails.

Now some players might be thinking, "I've used side strats and won before". . . this is because you had the superior team in damage, heals and rotations. Which means if you have the superior team it would have been easier to win by getting MID and the node where your re-spawn is.

The only time I think Side Strats are valid is if you have multiple stealth.

DavidAtkinson's Avatar


DavidAtkinson
09.13.2018 , 06:06 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by BlissDivine View Post
On the maps Alderaan Civil War and Yavin Ruins I see way too many teams starting out using "Side Strats". This is where the team tries to get the two side nodes which are farthest apart.

The average player in regs is not good at rotating to defend the node that's being attacked. They are either too slow to rotate or over-rotate. This is why this strategy usually fails.

Now some players might be thinking, "I've used side strats and won before". . . this is because you had the superior team in damage, heals and rotations. Which means if you have the superior team it would have been easier to win by getting MID and the node where your re-spawn is.

The only time I think Side Strats are valid is if you have multiple stealth.
Umm.... yes, death matching mid for 10 minutes even if it's clear as day team will never cap it is a better strategy, yes ? And the brag in chat '' look at my macho dps"...

The avarage player is not good at many things. but you, who are above average, have to cap a side node most of time alone, because they will never do it. Or at least you have to try... It's up to you to make the difference for them.

Zurules's Avatar


Zurules
09.13.2018 , 07:12 AM | #3
the whole point of side strats is just to get YOUR side first. in map like civil war, who ever gets their own side node first should win the game a vast majority of the time if they know what they are doing. you only need 1 node to win civil war. sadly I think most people believe that you need to have two to win that map, but winning with just 1 node is so much easier.


just yesterday in a voidstar, my team managed to win a game with "side strats" because they let me solo sap cap one side while they rest of them stayed on the other side. my team managed to have I think 3 kills in total, the other team had around 55 kills at the end of the match, but we won because of side strats superiority instead of deathmatching.
All Galaxy Hybrid-Clicker Shadow

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
09.13.2018 , 08:25 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by BlissDivine View Post
On the maps Alderaan Civil War and Yavin Ruins I see way too many teams starting out using "Side Strats". This is where the team tries to get the two side nodes which are farthest apart.

The average player in regs is not good at rotating to defend the node that's being attacked. They are either too slow to rotate or over-rotate. This is why this strategy usually fails.

Now some players might be thinking, "I've used side strats and won before". . . this is because you had the superior team in damage, heals and rotations. Which means if you have the superior team it would have been easier to win by getting MID and the node where your re-spawn is.

The only time I think Side Strats are valid is if you have multiple stealth.
You must realise that 80% of players think like you do and go mid. Why do you think there is always a stalemate at mid?
When the other guys are going to always do the same thing, itís best to not be as predictable.
Every tactic is viable and you should be flexible and not say itís only valid if there are stealth.
The trick is being able to read the game and see what will and wonít work. Thatís where the problem is. Itís not the side strats, itís people who canít read the play and use the appropriate tactics needed to win the match.
I often let my team go left and centre and I go right 90% of the time because the other side either sends no one to cap it or I can kill who ever they send.
If they send more than 2, then I play delaying tactics as long as I can so my team can have a numbers advantage to take the other 2 nodes.
If I take the node and my team canít cap mid or the other side quickly, at least we get a head start in the points count down.
Side strats actually work better in Yavin than civil war.

Banderal's Avatar


Banderal
09.13.2018 , 08:50 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
The trick is being able to read the game and see what will and wonít work.
This. IMO.

Too many people try the same thing over and over and over. I realize that sometimes they just don't care, and keep going mid because that's where the fight is and they just want to fight. But to that guy that kept trying to ninja-cap the voidstar door I was solo guarding the other day... and my team was responding to my inc calls fast and appropriately... maybe after the 4th try, do something different for the 5th? (To be fair, he was trying different ways of knocking me out of stealth before trying to cap... but still.)

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF

LD_Little_Dragon's Avatar


LD_Little_Dragon
09.13.2018 , 09:11 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
The trick is being able to read the game and see what will and wonít work.
The trick is communication let people know before the match starts if you want to try splitting 4 and 4 to each node. Side splits will work if done right, but mostly they work if the 2 (sometimes 3 if you're lucky) guys that go mid can hold off the cap long enough for the sides to be taken. It just sucks big time to be one of the few that go mid.

I've been in games where I'm the only one to go mid - fun times. Then some twit yells at you when mid gets taken. Well duh.

Most games, unless you're up against a really bad team, then the split just lets the other team take mid fast, and then go get their side node next. Easy peasy - for them.
Stealthy heals, stealthy dps, stealthy tank.

Lhancelot's Avatar


Lhancelot
09.13.2018 , 09:32 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Banderal View Post

Too many people try the same thing over and over and over.
Yeah this drives me crazy. if you find no one can seem to take mid, then that's when someone needs to communicate that some ought to hit a side that is not controlled. Mid is good to control for obvious reasons, it's the closest and easiest point to control besides the one side which we usually call "our side."

If I am on my healer, I will often say "hey, will a dps go with me let's hit a side." Sometimes, someone joins me, other times, I go to the side and no one comes... And mid gets taken because I left mid and stopped healing them.

A lot of times I have proposed hitting a side, and someone will say "No! Stay mid." I have had that said, and the match lasts an eternity and eventually someone does get mid, but so much time was wasted doing so.
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
09.13.2018 , 09:32 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by LD_Little_Dragon View Post
The trick is communication let people know before the match starts if you want to try splitting 4 and 4 to each node. Side splits will work if done right, but mostly they work if the 2 (sometimes 3 if you're lucky) guys that go mid can hold off the cap long enough for the sides to be taken. It just sucks big time to be one of the few that go mid.

I've been in games where I'm the only one to go mid - fun times. Then some twit yells at you when mid gets taken. Well duh.

Most games, unless you're up against a really bad team, then the split just lets the other team take mid fast, and then go get their side node next. Easy peasy - for them.
I always disagree with the 4/4 split at the start. Itís a free mid cap for them if you do that and no guarantee youíll get both sides because they only need to send one person to cap it and the rest can split.
If taking both sides is the idea, then you need someone to distract at mid or be the sacrificial lamb(s). Preferably someone(s) who can tie enough of them up while your guys take the sides.

I agree that more communication would be great at the start. But most people just ignore it or ruin the strategy regardless.
I know if I say Iím going right at the start and not to follow me, half the damn team will follow me and completely ruin the tactic. So I donít tell them Iím doing it and hope they all run mid instead.

Itís the same as when mid is a stalemate or my team canít take it from them, so I head to their other node to ďpullĒ defenders from mid when their guy calls inc.
What astounds me is when my idiot teamís follow them instead of pushing the advantage. They see half their team running to the other node and as they respawn, they follow them?? I feel like bashing my head on the desk because theyíve totally negated the reason I went there in the first place.
I can be yelling in chat, over and over, donít follow me, just push the other node. But no, I look to see Iíve pull half the enemy team and my guys are following them to where Iím in a 1v3 delaying pattern,
I donít mind my suicide runs, which is what that tactic is 50% of the time. But I do mind dying for no reason because my team is as dumb as dirty and wonít follow directions.

The issue isnít communication, itís people who donít listen, donít care to listen, donít look at the chat or those that think they know best and troll.
Iíve given up giving directions now. I play the tactics I think will win.

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
09.13.2018 , 09:40 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Banderal View Post
This. IMO.

Too many people try the same thing over and over and over. I realize that sometimes they just don't care, and keep going mid because that's where the fight is and they just want to fight. But to that guy that kept trying to ninja-cap the voidstar door I was solo guarding the other day... and my team was responding to my inc calls fast and appropriately... maybe after the 4th try, do something different for the 5th? (To be fair, he was trying different ways of knocking me out of stealth before trying to cap... but still.)
LoL, hit and run. Thatís my tactic. Make you fight me and call inc, then run like hell so my team has the numbers on the other side,
Of course if you have a team who has a brain, they will see there is only one person and some will quickly turn around and run back. Sadly that is rarely the case and 3-4 of them will spend too much time trying to chase me down to kill me, which is my goal. So it works a lot.

Aeneas_Falco's Avatar


Aeneas_Falco
09.13.2018 , 02:13 PM | #10
There are always exceptions but I agree for the most part. It's usually better to go heavy to mid when the match starts.

That isn't to say that you shouldn't send someone at their side note at the start, but it's best to keep it small if you do. Going heavy to their side node usually just results in mid being lost early, and mid is always the best node to own as it is easiest to defend.

Yavin you can sometimes get away with going a little heavier to theirs (with three for example) since it is easy to rotate on that map, but at least one of the three should immediately change direction and go up the side stairs to mid if they only see one enemy headed toward that side's node.

The only times I've seen going heavy to the sides payoff has been when one team was clearly a lot stronger than the other, in which case like the OP stated, they'd have probably won if they went mid too.