Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The difference between SS & SF is night and day

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
The difference between SS & SF is night and day

AlrikFassbauer
09.16.2018 , 05:53 AM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
The point of PVP is to dominate the enemy. That's the exact point of it. We can compartmentalize exactly what domination means to someone but let's not kid ourselves.
Well, here we have the vast difference between me and you - between me and the rest of the PvP community :
Dominating is NOT the point of doing PvP for me. It simply makes no sense for me to dominate others.
What I want is simply "a test of skill". Nothing more. No domination, because a test is not a domination-thing. If you do a test at school, is this meant for the teacher or the school to dominate you ? Not that I've heard of it.

In what different worlds we live in ! Maybe I'm just too old. Now at last I do understand this hooliganism in soccer/football : They want to dominate others. They want their own soccer/footbal team to dominate the other team. they just don't want any "may the better one win", it's everything about domination !

When I was studying at university, symposiums were not about domination. One would come up with a theory, and what followed was a thing called a discussion of things. Discussion 1 There was no domination ! This was like ... evaluating the theory. there just was no "me, I#m so much better than you, you loser ! Your theory is utter crap !" kind of argueing

Well, this once again makes me feel so old. I'm just from a different generation. It seems to far, far away, in a different galaxy, to come up with a thought like a "test of skill" and a "may the better one win". Even olympic games are not domination, at least not openly.

Well, I fear the future. Filled in RL with people who love to dominate others.

And I already got a warning regarding culture ...
Complex minds
Cope with
Complex problems.

Rafiknoll
09.16.2018 , 10:07 AM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
Well, here we have the vast difference between me and you - between me and the rest of the PvP community :
Dominating is NOT the point of doing PvP for me. It simply makes no sense for me to dominate others.
What I want is simply "a test of skill". Nothing more. No domination, because a test is not a domination-thing. If you do a test at school, is this meant for the teacher or the school to dominate you ? Not that I've heard of it.

In what different worlds we live in ! Maybe I'm just too old. Now at last I do understand this hooliganism in soccer/football : They want to dominate others. They want their own soccer/footbal team to dominate the other team. they just don't want any "may the better one win", it's everything about domination !

When I was studying at university, symposiums were not about domination. One would come up with a theory, and what followed was a thing called a discussion of things. Discussion 1 There was no domination ! This was like ... evaluating the theory. there just was no "me, I#m so much better than you, you loser ! Your theory is utter crap !" kind of argueing

Well, this once again makes me feel so old. I'm just from a different generation. It seems to far, far away, in a different galaxy, to come up with a thought like a "test of skill" and a "may the better one win". Even olympic games are not domination, at least not openly.

Well, I fear the future. Filled in RL with people who love to dominate others.

And I already got a warning regarding culture ...
I think you got overtriggered by the word ''dominate'' because of possible associations to slavery or domestic abuse. But he clearly meant ''dominate'' as ''win''.

Competitions and competitive spirit are not as barbaic as you attempt to describe them. Chess is a competitive game in which the goal of the player should be to win (=dominate the other player).

Attempting to compare a team vs team game to a test is irrational. A test could maybe be compared to PVE because its you ''vs'' a sheet. The moment there is another person on the other side whose success is exactly your failure and vise versa, there is nothing comparable.
Competition can be taken childidhly or violantly when the people concerned are childish or violent but it is not essentially so. However, atrempting to look at a competition and see no competition is ignorance at best.

According to yourself, by the way, what skill exactly are you testing if not ''the ability to dominate someone in conbat in a video game''. This isn't so much more mature than everyone else, is it?

And if you fear competitive spirit taking over the world, I will remind you that competition is the sole reason for the extreme speed of technological development these days. Mobiles are released every year because Samsung competes with Iphone. Same goes for computers. Evem MMORPG games release patches at a fast phase because they are competing over customers.

The more concering thing is that people these days still believe behaviours in videogames might foreshadow a cultural apocalypse...

[Written from a phone. Sorry if I missed any errors. No spellcheck here]

Banderal
09.16.2018 , 01:31 PM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by Rafiknoll View Post
[Written from a phone. Sorry if I missed any errors. No spellcheck here]
But which phone? Samsung or Apple?

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF

-Bob-
09.16.2018 , 03:40 PM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by taxidermis View Post
Ranked and gsf pop far more on SF. Myself and most of the 50 plp in the group's I play with have all transferred in the past 2 months to SF. Ss isn't dead but it's a lot lower pop
The population across the game is steadily declining.
There are no Victims, Only volunteers!
Der Untermensch
Referral link