KOTOR on Windows 8

Colton_

I recently bought a new Windows 8 computer and bought KOTOR Collection with KOTOR and KOTOR II. I was very excited to play it, and when I clicked "PLAY" after installing it started up fine. About 10 seconds into it I get a "KOTOR has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution", and(of course) it closes the program unable to find a solution. I searched about it and found out about "Compatibility Mode" for Windows 8, to run programs on Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP instead of 8. I followed all of the instructions but when it says there is to be a "Compatible" tab after selecting "Properties" when right-clicking the setup, I see just a "security" tab. Is there any other way I can enjoy this awesome game on my new computer?

Well your problem isn't specific to Windows 8, as I have both KOTOR games and they run fine for me without any Compatibility Setting changes. Which game is it that your are having issues starting up? KOTOR I or II? The second has many more issues than the first due to LucasArts rushing the game development. So first thing before you start each game make sure you have all the proper patches downloaded. Second if the Compatibility Tab is not appearing it's possible that you are not using an Administrator account. Make sure when you install the games that you do so on an Administrator's account. Any more details you could provide on your system setup would be helpful. Such as your RAM, graphics card, etc.... Edited by ObsidianVashti

Well your problem isn't specific to Windows 8, as I have both KOTOR games and they run fine for me without any Compatibility Setting changes. Which game is it that your are having issues starting up? KOTOR I or II? The second has many more issues than the first due to LucasArts rushing the game development. So first thing before you start each game make sure you have all the proper patches downloaded. Second if the Compatibility Tab is not appearing it's possible that you are not using an Administrator account. Make sure when you install the games that you do so on an Administrator's account. Any more details you could provide on your system setup would be helpful. Such as your RAM, graphics card, etc....

It kind of is specific to Windows 8, the Steam version of Kotor and Kotor2 supports Windows 7 and Vista, it might not be universal with Windows 8 but thats slightly different.

Also there are several other threads on other forums (Community and General Discussion) with other people having the same problem.

Edited by AlexDougherty

It kind of is specific to Windows 8, the Steam version of Kotor and Kotor2 supports Windows 7 and Vista, it might not be universal with Windows 8 but thats slightly different.

Also there are several other threads on other forums (Community and General Discussion) with other people having the same problem.

Perhaps I'll explore more, see if there are particular issues with Windows 8, but I've have a few friends who also have the Steam version with the KOTOR pack and they have no issues with Windows 8, so overall I wasn't aware of any major problem. If anything the KOTOR games for my friends have been even more stable on Windows 8. So I don't believe it is anything specifically with WIndows 8 alone, as it "can" work on WIndows 8. So I think it is one's particular setup and hardware related configuration that might be causing the problems. However neither KOTOR was designed even for Windows 7 (not sure if they even changed anything with the Steam versions), and especially the second game can have quite a few issues for many on Windows 7.

Well I'm pretty sure it's a Windows 8 issue, as KOTOR and KOTOR II both worked excellent on my old Windows 7 computer. Also, KOTOR was designed for Windows 7, the box says for XP, Vista, and 7. Edited by Colton_

NEW UPDATE: After all of the cinematics before the actually game but after the character creation, the screen goes black and says that Windows stuff and closes it. BUT, a new tab was there when it closed labeled "CyberLink Power2Go" and said "CyberLink Power2Go does not support the current screen resolution and DPI setting.

NEW UPDATE: After all of the cinematics before the actually game but after the character creation, the screen goes black and says that Windows stuff and closes it. BUT, a new tab was there when it closed labeled "CyberLink Power2Go" and said "CyberLink Power2Go does not support the current screen resolution and DPI setting.

I recommend trying to see if you can try starting the game in windowed mode instead of full screen. In general this can solve many stability/resolution issues. Also try and adjust the settings for resolution and such at the kotor launch pane before the game launches. Also is this KOTOR 1 or 2 as there are some different steps to try depending on which game it is.

It's KOTOR I, I haven't tried KOTOR II yet. And how would I change it to windowed?

How do you launch the game? Unfortunately I don't know the Steam version. In the CD version I have there's options on the launch pop up window before the game is launched. I believe you can still access those settings by going to the file directory under program files and accessing your Steam directory. Under the file for KOTOR. There should be a config .ini I believe. As soon as I'm able I'll see if I can pull it up on my own laptop to give more detailed directions.

Here is a link about it.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1275279

Edited by ObsidianVashti

I have a shortcut but I would pop in the disc and click PLAY. But it is not the Steam version. I have KOTOR Collection.

Ok, so in the window where you click play can you not click a button for options or settings anywhere? Otherwise follow my previous link on how to force some settings which should possibly solve your problem. Since it is not Steam merely go to your directory location for KOTOR, most likely LucasArts folder instead of Steam.

Ok, so in the window where you click play can you not click a button for options or settings anywhere? Otherwise follow my previous link on how to force some settings which should possibly solve your problem. Since it is not Steam merely go to your directory location for KOTOR, most likely LucasArts folder instead of Steam.

I don't believe so there is play, uninstall, website, read me, and exit. But the thread was of no help, as it helped with the Steam version with different files than the one I have.

Edited by Colton_

None of that worked. :(

Ok so from what I gather you have found your main file directory location? (If not navigate to the below directory using My Computer)

Open the folder 'C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR\'

Check out this video link on YouTube, it has directions for how to install it on Windows 7, but the steps are no different. The only difference is, I do not believe you need to download and replace the .dll file they mention in movie, and additionally since they appear to be running a different version of the game, the options screen that he shows by clicking settings in the launcher is available to you under the LucasArts file directory and double-clicking the file "swconfig". As they do, I recommend also un-installing and then re-installing the game from scratch just to make sure we follow all the steps right.

Hopefully after all this it will just work for you. Many claim that both KOTOR games will simply not work for Windows 8, however that is not true. Depending on your setup it just requires quite a few work arounds. It's been a while since I've had to install either game on my system, as they are already working for me. So if you're patient I'm sure we can eventually help you to get this working! Best of luck! :rak_03:

Edited by ObsidianVashti

Ok so from what I gather you have found your main file directory location? (If not navigate to the below directory using My Computer)

Open the folder 'C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR\'

Check out this video link on YouTube, it has directions for how to install it on Windows 7, but the steps are no different. The only difference is, I do not believe you need to download and replace the .dll file they mention in movie, and additionally since they appear to be running a different version of the game, the options screen that he shows by clicking settings in the launcher is available to you under the LucasArts file directory and double-clicking the file "swconfig". As they do, I recommend also un-installing and then re-installing the game from scratch just to make sure we follow all the steps right.

Hopefully after all this it will just work for you. Many claim that both KOTOR games will simply not work for Windows 8, however that is not true. Depending on your setup it just requires quite a few work arounds. It's been a while since I've had to install either game on my system, as they are already working for me. So if you're patient I'm sure we can eventually help you to get this working! Best of luck! :rak_03:

It did not work. I got to the step where he said to click Compatibility, and there was no Compatibility tab.

It did not work. I got to the step where he said to click Compatibility, and there was no Compatibility tab.

Try going to the LucasArts folder directory and locate the game execution file. (Most likely titled kotor.exe) Right click that icon and select "Properties". Is there a Compatibility Tab in this instance? If so set the proper settings as previously mentioned in the YouTube video and use this icon to launch the game.

KOTOR was optimized for Windows XP, I believe... It doesn't work well in Vista, 7 or 8.

Best solution is to either ask EA to authorize Bioware to make a 10th anniversary celebration patch that brings it to Windows 7/8.

But for now, the best solution is to use Windows compatibility. Set it to XP.

KOTOR was optimized for Windows XP, I believe... It doesn't work well in Vista, 7 or 8.

Best solution is to either ask EA to authorize Bioware to make a 10th anniversary celebration patch that brings it to Windows 7/8.

But for now, the best solution is to use Windows compatibility. Set it to XP.

They already did that for Vista and windows 7, both in Disc form and Steam download, it's just Windows 8 that isn't supported now, which kind of sucks for some people.

About the compatability mode issue from other posts, that might depend on which version of Windows 8 it is, if it's like Windows 7 then only the ultimate edition has the compatability mode, and it probably costs in the £800 or more to upgrade.

• 1 month later...

I am having an issue where KOTOR crashes after playing it for a few minutes. I have tried running in compatibility mode for XP SP2 and am running as admin. I installed the game through my Star Wars Best of PC collection. System specs are as follows

WIndows 8

Intel Quad Core i7 4700HQ 2.4 GHz (Auto clocks up to 3.2 GHz)

Nvidea Geforce GTX 765M 2 GB GDDR5 Memory

12 GB RAM DDR3

Any help would be appreciated.

Hate to say it, but the best way to play these games is on Steam, they're both a few $, really cheap, and I've never had bugs with the steam versions.

The Kotor 2 disked didn't work, even with the modders online than made files to fix it ( though it worked with the first game) but steam worked immediately...

• 3 weeks later...