Was KOTET the last story driven expansion for SWTOR?

MrBorsh

Title.

SPOILER!!!!!!!

.. So after you deliver your final speech, the classic Star Wars outro appears. What I noticed here is that it doesn't state "Star Wars The Old Republic - Knights of the Eternal Throne" but only "Star Wars The Old Republic".

Is this the end of the road?

It did feel that way.

Vitiate also appeared to finally die permanently, something I was surprised at. I just assumed that KOTET would deal with Vaylin and Arcann but save Vitiate's death for the game's finale.

I wonder if perhaps there is no additional story content planned at all right now, and KOTET's ending could serve as the story's finale, if all additional content from now is focused towards group PVE or PVP.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

SPOILER!!!

Do you not listen to cutscenes...? They clearly say more than once that both the Empire and Republic are re-arming and preparing for war. I think this is an obvious hint that they are, hopefully, intending to go back to Empire vs. Republic, possibly with the Alliance as a third faction that you command.

MMO's that have a final end game are MMO's ready to close down, and I do not see SWTOR going anywhere anytime soon, regardless of what the rumor mongers say.

I do hope that we see more PVP and Events, along with FP's, OP's and more non story content before we get more story content.

Edited by Fallahmain

SPOILER!!!

Do you not listen to cutscenes...? They clearly say more than once that both the Empire and Republic are re-arming and preparing for war. I think this is an obvious hint that they are, hopefully, intending to go back to Empire vs. Republic, possibly with the Alliance as a third faction that you command.

MMO's that have a final end game are MMO's ready to close down, and I do not see SWTOR going anywhere anytime soon, regardless of what the rumor mongers say.

Yep, it was very clear about that. A lot of people complained about the whole teaming up thing. All the way back as far as SoR. Maybe they are going to sorta listen and go back to Empire vs Republic somehow.

Edited by GelstonJ

Yep, it was very clear about that. A lot of people complained about the whole teaming up thing. All the way back as far as SoR. Maybe they are going to sorta listen and go back to Empire vs Republic somehow.

A much greater number than those that complained about teaming up have reached the point where they want cross-faction activities, including grouping, to be enabled. Of course, it's possible this is primarily driven by the diminished size of the playerbase.

I said this in a other thread, might as well copy pasta,

I never understood why people think this is the last expansion or feels like it.

There's still malgus who was cut out of the sacrifice trailer, well probably see him again. And the ending of kotet didn't exactly make it seem there wasn't going to be anything else.

Then when they answered my question if we'll get to kiss Arcann's kissable lips someday,:rak_03:

They said not in this expansion but maybe in the future.

Kind of seems like there will be a future.

Not saying that things can't go sour, but nothing exactly points to a complete ending as of now. Certainly not the story.

Edited by Eshvara

My money is on this being the last expansion before they shut the game down. I hope I'm wrong--I still enjoy several aspects of this game. But EAWare's actions and attitude have led me to conclude we're just in maintenance mode now.

I think the game will make one more xpac but I would be shocked if it made 2/3. More.. way to many whales dropping dat $$$ on the cartel market but I could be wrong. It's a pretty underwhelming xpac imo but but than again that's nothing new for this game sadly...maybe it will be the last xpac who knows the bio dev team seemed pretty fired up about this xpac and a return focus on group content (all be it a too little to late return to group content focus:rolleyes:) but that's bioware for you lol always to late. I could live with this xpac being the last games been a pretty big disappointment for me over the last 5 years with bioware and EA in the driver seat.

I could live with this xpac being the last games been a pretty big disappointment for me over the last 5 years with bioware and EA in the driver seat.

Which begs the question of why you're actually here if your experience has been so underwhelming...

To the topic at hand, I think it'll be the last story expansion for a little while, but not the last. There's still a lot more to do and KotET leaves things open for more story, so I doubt it's the end of the line. What we may see is some more group stuff in the interlude (there's loads of ripe territory for it after all), but who knows. I don't see there being another story-driven expansion for a few months, though.

Edited by TrueBritannia

Well the last speech where you introduce the beginning of the "Eternal Alliance" was just utterly lame. An Empress or Emperor doesn't lead an Alliance but an Empire. Also, what Alliance exactly? It's basically Zakuul because the Sith Empire and Republic still exist and presumably keep their original territories.

I did like the story as such but that last bit just didn't make any sense.

Also I'm rather upset I can't have Acina as a companion later on and continue with the romance options that started there (flirting). Of course it's all academic since I won't resub just for the story when my sub runs out but it just seems that other than the story, which I think was pretty good, 5.0 just doesn't really have much to offer.

And here's the thing. If I were to plan to put an MMO in maintenance mode, the GC system would be a very fitting system for maintenance mode and becoming Empress/Emperor of some shoddy alliance with a big fleet could very well be the end of the line.

Doesn't mean that it is maintenance mode, but I cannot escape the notion that this could very well be the beginning of that maintenance mode.

Edited by Tsillah

I said this in a other thread, might as well copy pasta,

I never understood why people think this is the last expansion or feels like it.

There's still malgus who was cut out of the sacrifice trailer, well probably see him again. And the ending of kotet didn't exactly make it seem there wasn't going to be anything else.

Then when they answered my question if we'll get to kiss Arcann's kissable lips someday,:rak_03:

They said not in this expansion but maybe in the future.

Kind of seems like there will be a future.

Not saying that things can't go sour, but nothing exactly points to a complete ending as of now. Certainly not the story.

Now, I haven't played much of Ilum because I hated the Empire side storyline and I haven't gotten that far on any Republic characters, but I'm pretty sure the Republic kills Malgus... But other than that, I do agree. This seems very far from a final expansion. In fact, I do recall hearing at one point that they were going to hold off on any more story content for the foreseeable future and instead focus on revamping the PvP/PvE content. I'm not sure if that's still the plan, but I can't see them ending it here. If Cryptic is managing to pull storylines out of their arse for STO, I think EA and Bioware can do the same, but of obviously better quality than Cryptic lol.

Now, I haven't played much of Ilum because I hated the Empire side storyline and I haven't gotten that far on any Republic characters, but I'm pretty sure the Republic kills Malgus...

Both sides *kill Malgus, actually. He was a threat to both the Republic as well as the Empire and thought that any and all Imperials who didn't agree with him were traitors; no better than the "Republic Dogs" so they also needed to die.

That your PC doesn't have the choice to join Malgus...well that's a different complaint.

*ETA: "Kill" would be a more appropriate way of saying it. He, in the original flashpoint, gets knocked down a huge shaft (that was the only way to defeat him). But because he'd bug out, they changed it where his corpse fell to the ground; you didn't need to knock him down the shaft. Just needed to murder his face off. But canonically he was knocked down the shaft. Leaving room for him to actually survive.

Edited by AngFour

Now, I haven't played much of Ilum because I hated the Empire side storyline and I haven't gotten that far on any Republic characters, but I'm pretty sure the Republic kills Malgus... But other than that, I do agree. This seems very far from a final expansion. In fact, I do recall hearing at one point that they were going to hold off on any more story content for the foreseeable future and instead focus on revamping the PvP/PvE content. I'm not sure if that's still the plan, but I can't see them ending it here. If Cryptic is managing to pull storylines out of their arse for STO, I think EA and Bioware can do the same, but of obviously better quality than Cryptic lol.

We never saw malgus die. And even if he did, Darth maul(spelling?) Died in a much more horrible way, he managed.:rak_03:

Darth Malgus fell off the bridge, that isn't death, that's subject for continuation.

It's probably not. After Chapter IX of KotET, you receive a mail from your old friends, the Scions who tell you that while destroying Vitiate/Valkorion was a big success for you, you're not finished yet and they still haven't returned to your side to die, as Heskall promised. They, in fact, specifically state: "You stand guard at the gates of madness, at the center of the Maelstrom. It is there we will meet again, in your hour of need. Brace yourself, Outlander.

Basically, something bad is coming, something that could finally cause the Scions to meet their doom and the Eternal Throne to be destroyed. Heskal clearly says "You will destroy the Eternal Throne", of course he could simply mean that you'd destroy Zakuul's Royal Family but I somehow doubt it.

I think they left it open enough that they could either end the storyline or continue with more adventures. I really hope they make more, I thought KotET was great, a big improvement on KotFE and I would love more like that!

I don't think this is the last pack. I hope there are more but right now some of the PC voice actors are still on strike so who knows.

I think they'll probably focus on multiplayer content for a while, uprisings, new OPS, new FPS, and new PVP focus. I hope they do for the sake of the players that like that sort of thing (you guys have been sorely neglected.) even if I don't do that stuff.

I want to go back to the empire v Republic type deal but with the alliance as a third party and you getting to choose where you stand. I play LS even on the imperial side and I'm pretty sick of the whole "everyone in the empire is eeeevvviiiilll" thing that makes it seem like such a shallow and 2-dimensional conflict. With the opportunity to choose I could make my characters choose to fight for peace rather than fighting to just support the republic or just support the empire. Meanwhile people who've hated the alliance could go back to the side of their choice.

I wish with the Alliance thing they'd let us join guilds that are on the other side. I love my imperial guild despite not liking the imperial storylines and I spend the majority of my time there since my republic guild just...isn't as fun...If my pub characters could join my imp guild I'd be stoked.