Is SWTOR Failing?

reaperkeepet

Alexa is horrible at rankings when they are +100,000 but below that, they are a good indicator.

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/swtor.com#

You will see huge traffic to the site on days something happened. Beta, release, 1.1, and so on but you can see it's declining every day

Then for kicks, do battle.net and you will see steady which is kind of shocking but that's what you want, not swtor's graph.

Swtor will jump up on 1.2 again but you can tell it's going down and they need to act pretty fast.

Alot of people brought the game and had totally unreal expectations of it.

Once they realised this they dropped it.

Also alot of the ADHD crowd had to get into the FOTM before crawling back to what they know.

Its no suprise that numbers have dropped.

Its my hope that the numbers actually stabilise,they merge or crunch down some servers and that they keep it up.

I like this game.

93% of those here in the forum and everywhere rate the game 8-10. They just are not as vocal. The beta forums looked the same with the haters posting a lot. But we could do polls in the beta forums. Polls showed out the members really felt.

The haters hate polls because they only get one vote. I wish BW would let us do them again here because it would show just how popular the game is .... even here.

It's way too early to form an educated opinion on the health of the game long term. Plus forums like this are a notoriously bad place to go if you want an honest opinion on an MMO. Are you having fun? That should be the real question.

If you are having fun then keep playing, and you need not worry about if the game is "failing" or not, because you can be absolutely positive that it will not be disappearing anytime in the near future.

-- edit, spelling.

Edited by MarmicMocius

Same deal for every game in existence, ever.

WoW was WAY worse at launch, and there were hundreds of 'WoW will die' threads on the WoW forums after launch, and on the EQ forums before launch.

It's the norm, and it doesn't represent anything.

What does represent something is the fact that TOR has the highest retention rate of any MMO in the first two months (85%), and has the second largest subscriber base.

Frankly, just from my point of view.

There is no alternative game of similar genre available right now.

Diablo 3, GW2, Tera aren't out yet.

So you are either stuck with this game till those come out or go back to wow/lotr/any old mmo that you quit for this, which I assume most people don't want to.

Since the only game with a release date announced is Tera (May 1st), I expect my subscription to last till then.

Things that annoy me (that I'm certain will be added sometime in the future but no soon):

1) want to recustomize my character's looks (don't want to relevel 50 levels just because I don't really like her look).

2) server transfer (rerolling just flat out sucks).

3) do something about crew skills, because right now its just flat out pointless aside from biochem

4) im not going to go into specifics about class balance, but right now they are NOT balanced (3 healing classes perspective).

Frankly I don't have much faith in this game, it will have a loyal playerbase because of the star wars franchise but I don't see it beyond the old SWG once there is competition.

And to those of you who say we expected too much. We got told we we're going to be HEROIC and NOT have multiple chars bashing down on one mob. We got told that the story line would "make a difference". They also said questing was going to be different, its not. We got told countless lies to keep the hype going. I played WoW for a week and I disliked it. I subbed for the storys only but only afew are good (imo) This should be KOTOR 3. Not WoW with sabers and voice actors. Sigh.

Ive been sinking massive amounts of time into this game since early access, its a good game.. but im bored of it. which is my fault for overplaying it. My main has like 20 days /played time on him.. and i also have a 45 and a lvl 30 alt.

In my opinion, all the gamers like me are currently leaving out of boredom. We've been here since early-access, cleared most, if not all end-game content on nightmare, and have nothing to do but jump into a warzone, level an alt, or try and get rare schematics and ****.

All in all.. I'm bored of the game.

Thats not to say I don't/didn't like it.

There is no alternative game of similar genre available right now.

Diablo 3, GW2, Tera aren't out yet.

I tried the Tera closed beta last weekend, it was fun and all, but they had it capped at 22 with no PvP allowed. They had 2 servers up with a limit of 1 character per server. Hard to say if I'll like it or not.

I've beaten the D3 beta on every character class, it's fun for a bit but I'm looking for a new MMO home, so I don't think I'll be buying that one.

I'm really interested to see how GW2 pans out, it looks good, but looks can be deceiving.

Edited by Stevoli

The problem with graphs like these are that this soon after the release of the game, the data is very misleading. Yes, you want to see a fairly straight line of activity/population, but that is not a realistic goal in any game so soon after release. Population levels are always going to be more erratic early on, and baseline subscription values (which will translate into server population as well) are going to stabilize well under the maximum subscriptions seen.

We are still well within the trial days of the game. Not only the free trial, but I also mean the volume of people who either subscribed or paid ahead and are still ultimately deciding if they will stay or go.

Realistically, population graphs are not going to provide strong statistically useful data for 3-6 months.