Happy 9th anniversary to SWTOR!

JackieKo

• Dev Post

Hello everyone!

Today marks SWTOR’s 9th anniversary! Since SWTOR launched on December 20th, 2011, each year has brought new memories and accomplishments to players and devs alike. And this year will certainly be one that stands out for everyone. As we continue through our 9th year, we would love to hear from you, our community, on what you are most proud of and/or grateful for whether that be in-game or IRL.

I’m happy to start this train! I feel very fortunate for having the opportunity to join this wonderful team! I had no idea how this year would turn out, but I made it here and I am going to make the absolute best of it. I am over the moon, and very much looking forward to what all of us can create together in the coming year. On a more personal note, I managed to cook my very first turkey this past holiday on my own without burning down my kitchen, so I have that going for me as well.

Edited by CommunityTeam

Ty for this awesome game I was just wondering when we get Hutt mounts I would love for this feature as we need more meme mounts also would love to do another story chapter more long like kotet and kotfe were I know a lot has been difficult this year with the virus and would like to thank you for persevering and hopefully more content is to come :)

First of all I would like to thank you for being active in these forums, Jackie, I know it isn't an easy job especially with how discourse can be here sometimes. But thank you very much for doing such an excellent joke, looking forward to seeing you around in 2021!

As for SWTOR itself I'm glad the game is still going even after 9 years (though I've only been here since 2013 but still, 7 years out of 9 isn't so bad) I'm really grateful it released on steam, it makes it easier for people whose currencies aren't supported by the site's store, what I mean by this is I can go purchase a subscription for a set price of reais (Brazilian curreny) and not having to worry about what the current exchange rate is. Some of my friends don't have that luxury and the game releasing on steam made it easier for them to acquire a subscription since they could get a steam gift card and I want to thank the developers for that! Still on SWTOR itself, I really loved the 6.2 patch. Despite some bugginess here and there the story is absolutely amazing, of course I won't go into detail so as to not ruin it for anyone who hasn't played it but Echoes of Oblivion felt truly like an epic end to Tenebrae's era, and as a huge fan of the character I would like to thank the devs, especially the writers and Charles, for their excellent work on that mission. But Spirit of Vengeance isn't far behind either, once again without going into spoilers I love its central discussion and I look forward to finding out more about that story. Plus I'm a huge fan of Mandalorians so what's not to love about this.

As for IRL stuff I'm grateful I was able to purchase a new GPU (still pretty basic, its just an AMD RX 550 4GB) in order to run a game I required a new GPU for, as well as being able to enter university and learn a lot of new things about literature and linguistics. Other stuff that I'm grateful for this year is the newly released teasers for Dragon Age 4 and Mass Effect, two sagas that are near and dear to my heart (I'm even replaying the latter). With all of that said I wish all the developers and my fellow forum posters happy holidays!

Most definitely the original class storylines. Each of them is almost an entire separate game's worth of single-player RPG experience, in addition to SWTOR's mmo aspects. Even compared to some 'triple-A' titles, the freedom of player choice is impressively extensive, and not in any way detrimental to storyline coherency. The 'good old Star Wars' spirit is very well maintained.

I would add that this major chunk of content, an incredible and in some sense defining asset of the game, is not quite getting the treatment it deserves nowadays. Fixing the numerous storyline bugs and adding replayability similarly to KotFE/KotET chapters would be steps in the right direction. Very wide and arduous steps, yes, but just as rewarding.

I lost my Mother this year and a few long-time in game friends. The latter had more to do with personal issues. But regardless of that-- I have maintained some friends out of game game that I made in game. Even looking back to earlier mmorpgs like SWG; that seems like one of the coolest things we can walk away from with these mmorpgs with. Memories, most certainly (good and bad). But the friends we make sometimes can last a life time.

On a more personal note, I'm just happy to still be getting on with Life after spending nearly a decade taking care of Mom. We all handle this stuff in very different ways-- and I'm very aware time since this past August for me could have gone very differently without my support net with me in game and out.

Wishing all of you Players a very Happy Life Day and whatever Holiday you celebrate. In a not so hot year, try and hold on to those good thoughts all the more.

Edited by LunaticFringer

Happy Anniversary! I can't believe I've been playing this game for so long.

As far as in-game things I'm happy for, there's really so much, but I figured I'd mention the random Mercenary at launch who was way too king to my eleven year old self (who was probably trying way too hard to sound older) who was playing a BT3 blueberry named Jacco. I probably wouldn't have kept playing then if he hadn't helped me learn the basics of gearing, of how to actually play my class, and if he hadn't given me those 50,000 credits for training. I don't really know what happened to him -- it was on Rubat Crystal I think, and almost a decade ago now, but he was very kind to a (probably) annoying kid, and I wish I'd managed to stay in touch with him.

IRL, I'm just grateful to have the health of my family and my loved ones.

Also, if it counts, I have a very fond memory of first hearing about this game in 2010, going to Target, and being stunned that a sequel to SWTOR was somehow already out, in spite of the game still being in development. Long story short, 10 year old me didn't get to enjoy the MMO out a year early, but they did get to enjoy one of the best single player RPGs of all time.

Edited by jedimasterjac

• Dev Post

Looking back at 2020, makes me ask myself how did we make it through the year? But, we all did it!

Despite the worldwide situation, this year has been a great year for me. Joining the SWTOR family and building relationships with players during this particular year was a great and challenging adventure for me. I want to thank the SWTOR team and the community for their support.

On a personal note, I've started running on a daily basis and I'm now able to run 5k every day. Funny thing, I hated running before.

I'm looking forward to seeing what next year brings!

-Natha, Associate Community Manager

I can remember the day in 2011 when I got to download the game from a CD disk on my old laptop.

Thinking now that 9 years has passed since that day: wow! Just :D:):D

The community has always been supportive (most of it?) within this game and the content that the team delivers always has kept me hooked to this game. ( There is a reason why I tell friends that I'm unofficially married to SWTOR :cool::rolleyes: )

With that said I cannot wait what all is in store for SWTOR in the upcoming year(s)!

As for the question: What my proudest/ most grateful moments are within SWTOR / IRL with SWTOR:

- SWTOR showed me that friendship knows no borders.

- Meeting lots of awesome people who share the same swtor passion. (Onl & IRL comic cons/cantina tours/ fan meetups.)

- SWTOR has been my main game for almost 1/3rd of my life. ( Idk where and how I’d be without it. )

- I would not be creating content without SWTOR! Let alone being able to join the amazing Content Creators team back in 2017!

- And with that said the game also has given me a place on where I could show my creativity as a Roleplay Guildmaster and back in the day (i feel old now..) as PvE and PvP officer in endgame content guilds.

The amount of days that we all sat on teamspeak and that we all were on the point to pull or hairs out with our 10th wipe on a NiM boss or that we kept losing against the same Ranked 8v8 team. Those are always the most memorable moments of the game where I look back onto and start to feel nostalgic as it was the community who stood together and supported another and eachother through no matter what.

SWTOR always has been a game where I felt that I could pour my soul into and login and get a "Im home" type of feeling with the amazing communities that I've been in throughout the 9 years that I've been playing the game.

Witht hat said am I looking forward to see what 2021 has in store for us al!

It's been a difficult year for most of us and both my partner and I are exceptionally glad to have had SWTOR to retreat to during the various lockdowns, particularly those that resulted in us being apart from each other for a few months. Personally, I've never grown tired of spending some time on your game each night after work. Your continued efforts to engage the community and support the game in general are greatly appreciated and we look forward to everything that's to come in the next year. :)

Happy birthday SWTOR! SWTOR means more to me than I can describe. I love the game so, so much.

However, one thing I clearly put into words: SWTOR has been of great importance during my teenager years. I grew into adulthood with it.

Most importantly, as a non-native English speaker, it taught me advanced English and even got me two Certificates.

I started playing in 2015. Back then, practically all the English I learnt was through study books. As a teenager, SWTOR introduced me to a very rich vocabulary -- in the first year I definitely looked up words including 'unauthorized', 'eligible', 'queue'...! Even 'melee', haha.

It taught me English in the most fun way possible, at a high level too. I took two big exams for English Certificates and I got a great score on both of them. That would have never been possible without SWTOR.

Here's to many more years!

Happy Anniversary SWTOR! I've been with this game since the start, even though it doesn't quite feel like it's been nine years?!

In terms of in-game content, I am forever grateful that the team opened up same-sex romance options. While I loved the game from the start, it stung a bit being excluded from those particular stories as I have always enjoyed the emotional connection they bring between characters and the story as a whole. Getting to flirt, and woo, Lana--and then other options as they opened up--rejuvenated my interest in SWTOR when Shadow of Revan dropped and was always something I looked forward to as the story progressed. It meant, and still means, a lot to be included on this front when LGBT+ representation--though it has improved over the years for sure--isn't always the greatest in video games.

In terms of real-life, this is still game related, I am grateful I was able to find a solid guild of folks to play with who I can not only run Ops with, but also share stories and enjoy the company of. :)

Stay safe and happy holidays all!

Long long time ago I have found the info that this game was in the works, so I made an account, joined Beta and been here ever since. At launch i had problems with the fact that I couldnt afford the monthly fee, but later on it was no problem.

The game has brought me a lot since I played it at times when I was alone IRL (away from family) so I didnt have to think about missing them. I got to know many great people in the game from all over the world. The game is still great even after so many years. New stuff is being made everyday, but this game feels still up to date. I would say the game was becoming better and better over the years. The Devs themselves have been discovering what they want the game be like and in the past years they have finally come with a pretty good path and I hope it will continue.

The game had its ups and downs, but luckily now we are going quite upwards so I hope it keeps on going this way!

Oh, where to start... When TOR was first announced, I never expected to play it, let alone play it for NINE YEARS! And yet... here I am!

I have plenty of good memories with the game, from getting my first character (A Smuggler/Gunslinger) to 50, finally hitting Legacy Level 50, and getting the Legendary player achievement. And last night, getting my three best friends to play TOR with me for the first time in nine years, and actually had a good time that they agreed to play again next weekend! :eek: It was a nice mix of actual teamwork (Dang Master mode Esseles), and trolling each other with snowballs.

Of course, I also have a few bad memories, well... only one (Missing out on the 5-Year Distinguished Veteran statue for the dumbest reason ever, when others were able to get it who had the same lapses. Yeah, I'm still salty about it! :p)

But my happiest memory is how playing SWTOR got me into video editing and helped me graduate college! I even made fan trailers as final projects in two of my editing classes, and while I don't know if it helped me get my job working at the same college I graduated from, I like to think it was part of the reason. :p (And that is better than any Stronghold deco that I might have missed out on... even if I still want the damn thing! haha)

PS. If you do something for the Ten Year Anniversary, please DO NOT make it have insane requirements like the 5-Year Distinguished Veteran statue. The requirements for it were insane, and doing something like that again would just be horrible. :(

HAPPY 9TH ANNIVERSARY TO SWTOR!

I was late to discovering SWTOR but the last few years have been filled with wonderful memories and experiences; ones that will remain forever! I cannot thank you enough for all that you do with SWTOR and for making all of this possible for us!

I was going through a pretty rough patch in life and SWTOR helped heal me. My partner and I both have had some pretty epic SWTOR adventures and have met some fantastic people along the way. I feel that SWTOR has had a huge impact in making each day a little brighter and life is good. I look forward to logging in each day. I look forward to interacting with guildies and friends met through SWTOR. I look forward to all that SWTOR will bring in the future.

This year, personally, has been very tough but there has been a very bright light: My partner that introduced me to SWTOR and I got engaged! <3

I had a few SWTOR-related goals/hopes at the start of the year: The goal/hope of getting a Revan HM and Monolith HM clear was achieved and now I'm very happily at 100% Temple of Sacrifice & 100% Epic Enemies!

Lately, we've been hugging so many Wookiees and tossing snowballs at anything that has a nameplate on it! I'm excited to see what the future brings; new content, raiding and more SWTOR shenanigans!

:ph_thank_you:

Happy anniversary! I can't believe I've been playing the game for 9 years now. I have lots of great memories and lots of things I'm grateful for, but in this context, I'm most grateful for the friends who persuaded me to give SWTOR a try. I was a huge Bioware fan back in 2011, but I didn't have any interest in MMOs, so I was planning to skip SWTOR completely. Luckily, two friends were playing, and they told me and my husband that the stories were great and we wouldn't need to group unless we wanted to. I started playing my Vanguard (voiced by Jennifer Hale!) on Ebon Hawk just after launch and have been playing ever since. My friends and my husband played for several years but eventually moved on to other games. They do sometimes pop in to run a few flashpoints for old times' sake, and I'm hoping we can make that happen this holiday season. Edited by Hudlar

Logged to this site 2008. :eek:

I'm not too active as a writer, but beyond any doubt swtor is the game that I've played more than any other. Turned 40 a month ago so i've played some.

So happy birthday Swtor... you are my mindscape. :)

Fazaani aka Firecam

• Dev Post

Nine years is an incredible run for any game, but to see SWTOR still delivering original Star Wars stories set in the Old Republic era the entire time is truly something special. It takes a passionate team, incredible players and fans, and support from too many people to name to accomplish such a feat.

I’ve enjoyed so many lasting memories through the years as both a player and a developer: The Orange Pixel (RIP), double Kephess, light sword in box, dance parties on the fleet, walker parades...the list goes on and on. Some say there’s even an NPC golfing somewhere on every planet. Who can say?

And yet, after all of these years, we find ourselves looking forward still. There are so many more stories to tell...so many more experiences we want to deliver and share with the community. What could be next? We dream big in Texas, so buckle up y’all!

I don't post very often, but I have been with this game since Beta and continue to find myself coming back. SWTOR has gotten me through a lot in my life and most recently an escape from the real world. This year I returned from my second deployment and was able to have stable enough internet to play during my time overseas. 2020 has been a real kick in the face, and on top of that, I have two employers that demand my utmost attention working in the Army and Law Enforcement. Thank you SWTOR for being my escape and allowing me to harness my inner Sith Lord. I look forward to what 2021 will bring us!

Wish List- Idle stances/animation

Edited by Tekeshi

• Dev Post

This year has certainly had its challenges! Adjusting to working from home during a global pandemic and becoming a dad. You know, I wanted to keep things light this year…

2020 has been an incredible journey and I am so proud to be a part of a team that gets to deliver amazing Star Wars content to players year after year. It’s incredible to think we are only one year away from a decade!

Another one in the bag and I am so excited to continue to be a part of this awesome community for many more years to come.

-eric

• Dev Post

Hi all, I'm Caitlin! For me--and probably a lot of other people, too--2020 felt a lot like the movie Groundhog Day. I’d wake up every morning feeling almost exactly like I did the day before.

But, with everything going on in the world, including going almost a year without seeing my friends and family in person, working on SWTOR was one consistent bright spot I had to look forward to. Talking with the team about all the exciting things we had planned and seeing our amazing community’s reception of that content got me through a lot. I LOVED everyone's reactions to the All Worlds Ultimate Swoop Rally, which was my first major writing contribution to SWTOR! Seeing so many players enjoy the Echoes of Oblivion story meant so much as well.

With another year in the books for SWTOR, and an end to the not-so-great 2020, I'm so looking forward to sharing more with you all!

I have been playing this game since it has been live, and even spent some time in the Beta. In the past 9 years I have had some fun times, and also noticed a few bits where there were bugs, still from beat, in the game. I think I was in the first testing group that was said could finish the Chapter 1 Story, and therefore go all the way to Alderaan. Over the years I have made plenty of friends, and seen plenty of changes. I still laugh about all the things that used to be here, and aren't anymore (Speech bubbles briefly, and then the orange pixel.) Some things I miss, getting people to stand on a piece of purple ground so they fell through the world on Belsavis comes to mind, and other things I don't Being locked inside Esseles for a few days on my character when nobody could figure out how to get me out of there. Here is hoping for more time to enjoy this game, and hopefully the rest of the world calms down, and 2021 ends up being better.

I am grateful for this game which has been my escape from the real world a little every day for the last nine years and which has continued and enhanced my love of Star Wars which I've had since 1977.

I'm very grateful that we don't have to walk the first 14 levels any more and that we can colour match and design or own outfits.

I long for the day where we get a new chapter individual to each class once again (you never know....they said there would never be EP VII - iX)

IRL I'm grateful for my wife and kids who allow me to be a kid for an hour or two each day with all of you guys and girls and for all they do with me when they can get me away from my computer too.

Heres to the 10th anniversary and beyond.

I like HK-55, HK-47, HK-51an T7 very much.

I like much that the Devs added this year HK-55 restoration quest in Cartel market.

I hope that they will add once T7 - ability to have this wonderful companion from the beginning of the storyline. And may be add some new quests about HK-47.

I also hope that the Devs add ability to play as a companion - as it was possible in KotOR 1 and 2.