Canada vs. USA GSF match

Lavaar

Title says it all, I have been pondering about this for awhile, is there any interest in some fun matchups such as this, or maybe create the teams in some other way that would mix things up a bit?

Could be a fun idea for a new periodic event which would be different, yet still retain the competitive aspect, in addition to bringing people together who may not normally fly as a group.

Que syncing would probably be required, so this could be a foray onto a new "tournament server" where everyone who wants to compete in the events transfers a mastered toon there (all same faction?) to be able to compete.

I want to hear your thoughts and opinions, GSF community!

Canada could field a pretty solid lineup, probably wouldn't need any international players, provided the Canadians play nice with one another :p.

Verain, breaking up the normal teams is the point of something like this, it would just be for one night, and would be more of a fun way to practice strategies with new people.

Another one for Team Canuck! Where are the Americans?? Will it be a forfeit??

Well obviously we're sitting around in sugar shacks watching sap boil. Where else would we be at this time of year?

I suppose I could sign up for team USA if it's a time I can make.

Are you going to open up for UK, German, French, and misc. EU/Schengen teams too? You'd probably have to advertise on their forums and think about viable servers in terms of ping if you wanted to open it up and have a GSF Cup or something like that.

Well obviously we're sitting around in sugar shacks watching sap boil. Where else would we be at this time of year?.

Would you believe I have actually been doing that lately? I am making some beer out of maple sap as well. Are we really so predictable?

ANYWAY

Teams for any country are welcome if we want to extend this but I didn't want to be too ambitious out the gate! I was pretty sure we would have enough Americans around and it kept the time zones simpler this way, that being said, if interest is high and this seems actually viable, it would be a GREAT way to get everybody established on a new server.

It would work like this:

Let's say we decide on the tournament server to be POT5, since I believe it is east cost? So the lag would ideally affect everyone the least. It is also quite underpopulated so we wouldn't have much issue with interference. Which server to choose is certainly up for debate.

And let's say for the sake of simplicity that we decide to go Imp side only. While that may make it more difficult to arrange 8v8's (someones one half will get with the other half, etc.) it would also allow for simplicity when trying to arrange different kinds of matches and the ability to have people with whoever they want to be with to mix things up now and again. It also wouldn't affect us if we wanted to roll in 4man teams for most of the time, rolling the dice for which premade we will be with and which ones we will be against. For 8v8's, with (ideally) only us queing, it should be a simple matter to trial-and-error until we get the matches we want (nobody will care about statistics on this server so quitting a bad matchup wont hurt).

Everyone who agrees to participate would have to level a toon to a competitive level (should be easy right now) and transfer to POT5 when they feel prepared (prior to any events). The transfer cost should be thought of as the price of admission, not much I can do about that. With this cost of admission however comes a free name change (do we all know this trick?) so we should ideally all identify ourselves as our most common name, and have only one toon on that server per human. Whether or not we should have some sort of tag on our names (guild, tournament, country?) or not could be discussed too since that would be an option with the name changes!

When we have at least 16 people present and available on that server, we can arrange, though this forum as well as discord, competitive and event matchups for both fun as well as tournament style events, without ever negatively affecting new players getting caught in the crossfire and buggering up the balance.

Ideally we would have 16 people closely co-ordinating so that waiting for a que pop wouldn't be an issue for the streamers out there.

These "Olympic" style events could be held here as well as premade vs. premade matchups and whatever else kinds of games we want to try out.

I think now is a great time to try to get this going due to how easy it is to req up alts at the moment, so if you feel like this appeals to you, then think of an alt that could work or start a new one! Depending on interest and what people's alt situation is like it is open for debate which faction to focus on, and we should do whatever works best for the largest amount of people.

Am I crazy here or could this work?

I'm not a fan of an idea that makes us take sides by nation, and I sorta tried to point out that many of the players aren't from Canada or America anyway, and I definitely doubt you could meaningfully make two 4 men teams for nations that aren't Canada, America, or Germany anyway (you could probably get one good four man team for Australia and UK each). Playing on the same side would mean that your nation-split thing wouldn't even happen most games: you'd pretty much need to queue on opposite factions for a Canada versus America game.

However, much of your post brings up something that is damned interesting: novel teams. Teams determined randomly for some span of games. That doesn't give you the same type of team play or cooperation that you see on super serious nights, but it does give you something reasonably fresh, which is interesting. You could, for instance, dice for teams for a span of time or games, and then re-dice for teams at the termination of that. Those would probably be pretty novel. It would also be more consistent with the teams than a solo queue night tends to produce.

I don't know if they are still flying. I just know that the German population was pretty big for quite a long time, and many of them were good. If you're over there now, you'd know better than me, sorry :(