Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Now that EA has lost the exclusivity deal with Disney, what is gonna happen next.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Now that EA has lost the exclusivity deal with Disney, what is gonna happen next.

Redlotusx
01.13.2021 , 07:44 PM | #1
Does this mean they are gonna work on it or its gonna get shut down.

MadDutchman
01.13.2021 , 08:27 PM | #2
The only way it will affect SWTOR is if some other studio puts out a competing MMO

Otherwise EA/BW still has full rights to continue with the game until they deem it no longer worth the expense.
I Have Spoken

Use my referral link for free goodies.

xordevoreaux
01.13.2021 , 09:18 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by MadDutchman View Post
The only way it will affect SWTOR is if some other studio puts out a competing MMO

Otherwise EA/BW still has full rights to continue with the game until they deem it no longer worth the expense.
^This. Other software houses can make all the single-player and even team battle royale games they want, as long as there's no MMO announced, SWTOR isn't going anywhere.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
Play the Electronic Arts game Sims4 much? Need a new schmazzy fireplace retexture or really classy piano update?
Check out my Sims4 mods on Nexus.

Grazzt
01.14.2021 , 02:40 AM | #4
If some studio could come up with some kind of an updated version of Star Wars Galaxies, I would probably stop working and I'll spend my days playing that game
Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side ...

SoontirMorillo
01.14.2021 , 02:53 AM | #5
I think, this is really really bad news. I'm on my last day of subscription and i will not renew it. I believe, we will not see the 10 year anniversary expansion anymore. It will only be a very small story update and servers will close shortly after. We always knew, that EA has a deal with Star Wars till 2022.

KyloRNz
01.14.2021 , 03:06 AM | #6
Yeah aslong as there is no other star wars mmo, this game should be able to go on, unless EA plan to stop making more updates then it will doom to death.

DarkTergon
01.14.2021 , 03:23 AM | #7
If I had a euro for every time some idiot on these forms decried the death of swtor I'd have enough to finance swtor 2.0 with everything that's on most peoples wish lists

Ylliarus
01.14.2021 , 03:24 AM | #8
Nothing bad is going to happen. SWTOR will stay on like it always had and will not be shut down anytime soon. The game is doing well, player numbers are rising (especially since the Steam release) and we had multiple hints that something big is happening behind the scenes. I have been speculating for a while now that this behind the scenes stuff is about greater funding/revitalising the game, or even about integrating the game into the Disney canon.

In other words: stop worrying, because there's nothing to worry about. SWTOR won't be shut down for years to come. Anyone who says otherwise is fearmongering for no reason.
The One, True Lord Ryssius
Playing SWTOR since November 2012
Darth Malgus [EU]

Phazonfreak
01.14.2021 , 04:29 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by SoontirMorillo View Post
I think, this is really really bad news. I'm on my last day of subscription and i will not renew it. I believe, we will not see the 10 year anniversary expansion anymore. It will only be a very small story update and servers will close shortly after. We always knew, that EA has a deal with Star Wars till 2022.
I'm just baffled how many people don't understand how licensing deals work. The deal betwen Disney and EA is an exclusivity deal, meaning that they give EA the license to be the only company to create new games in the Star Wars universe. That has nothing to do with the existing deal that was made for this particular game between LucasArts and EA when Disney did not hold the rights to the Star Wars property. Losing that exclusivity deal has no bearing on the existing deal for this particular game that was made before Disney got the rights to the Star Wars property.

As others have said, SWTOR will only shut down if it does not make enough money anymore for EA or if a new Star Wars Mmorpg comes out.

Tsillah
01.14.2021 , 04:38 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Phazonfreak View Post
I'm just baffled how many people don't understand how licensing deals work. The deal betwen Disney and EA is an exclusivity deal, meaning that they give EA the license to be the only company to create new games in the Star Wars universe. That has nothing to do with the existing deal that was made for this particular game between LucasArts and EA when Disney did not hold the rights to the Star Wars property. Losing that exclusivity deal has no bearing on the existing deal for this particular game that was made before Disney got the rights to the Star Wars property.
Moreover, according to the same article as I read it, Lucasfilm Games also has some deals with EA to create some SW games in the future. So it may not be exclusively EA anymore but that doesn't mean that EA stops having the right to sell SW games and make new ones. Just not exclusively and not without the say-so of Lucasfilm Games.

There is the situation where Ubisoft is making an open world game. This could mean many things and it could mean that it has MMO or MMO-light ambitions, but it could also be something entirely different. What could happen is that when Ubisoft is getting near completion of their game that part of the deal could affect SWTOR... just like SWTOR affected SWG.

But that's a lot of "ifs" and it will be years before that would even happen. There is the chance, however, that if indeed that game would compete with SWTOR, meaning it has those MMO style ambitions, that SWTOR may not survive.

Time will tell.
Referral link for a week sub and some goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/jMVTyB