Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Now that EA has lost the exclusivity deal with Disney, what is gonna happen next.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Now that EA has lost the exclusivity deal with Disney, what is gonna happen next.

JediQuaker
01.14.2021 , 08:26 AM | #11
Um, did EA ever have an "exclusive" deal with Disney? 🤔
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

Saregon
01.14.2021 , 09:01 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by SoontirMorillo View Post
I think, this is really really bad news. I'm on my last day of subscription and i will not renew it. I believe, we will not see the 10 year anniversary expansion anymore. It will only be a very small story update and servers will close shortly after. We always knew, that EA has a deal with Star Wars till 2022.
The sky is not falling, renew your sub if you want to support this game and ensure its continued development.
Never . Forget
RIP Orange Pixel of Doom
"Talent without training is nothing." - Luke Skywalker
Referral Link -
http://www.swtor.com/r/R8kSmL - Click for Free Stuff!

Phazonfreak
01.14.2021 , 10:13 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
Um, did EA ever have an "exclusive" deal with Disney? 🤔
Yes, they have. Since 2013 they were the only company that had the license to release games under the Star Wars brand.

Which is later than the deal that was made for Swtor and therefore not directly affected by this decision.

OlBuzzard
01.14.2021 , 10:16 AM | #14
What will happen next ??

Good question !!

Unlikely we'll see anything major ???

Again that's a good question.

Potential ???

The POTENTIAL is unquestionably there. The people who actually ... you know .. do the WORK .. they are very capable !! We've seen the good .. the bad and the ugly right here (well in game at least).

** New story ??
** Fun with companions ??
** Crafted armor that actually means something ??
** Loads of fun in new content ??
** New: FP's / WZ's / OPs ??
** New Strong Hold(s)
** New class (yeah ... try not to laugh too hard. Could bust a blood vessel in a critical place)

However, one thing most defiantly for certain:

BUGS !!! LOTS AND LOTS OF BUGS !!!
I sense a disturbance in the force ....
What was ... is no longer
"Tear down this wall"

DuchessKristania
01.14.2021 , 10:41 AM | #15
Even if Ubisoft creates an mmo, SWTOR is an already established game with an established player base. SWTOR also has things that make it different from other mmo's. I can't say I've played every mmo out there, but I've played enough to say that the story element in SWTOR is much more expansive and immersive than your general mmo.

Other companies being able to make Star Wars games isn't a death sentence for SWTOR. May cause some bumps now and again, but it may also bring some good things. Competition can be an excellent motivator.
#SaveSWTOR

♥Death Should Never Silence Love♥

RameiArashi
01.14.2021 , 10:52 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Redlotusx View Post
Does this mean they are gonna work on it or its gonna get shut down.
So you assume every one knows this is a fact without providing the proof of it?

SteveTheCynic
01.14.2021 , 11:15 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Redlotusx View Post
Does this mean they are gonna work on it or its gonna get shut down.
One of those, or maybe something else.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
?REDO FROM START
Latest patch notes at http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes

Nightblazer
01.14.2021 , 01:56 PM | #18
If you read the article it means that they will no longer have exclusivity. Meaning they aren't renewing there exclusivity deal. The deal ends in 2023 so that means even if Ubisoft is working on a Star wars game, the soonest it would come out would be 2023 when the current exclusivity deal ends. The current contract isn't being cancelled, just that it won't be renewed.

Also don't forget any ideas or games that want to be made still have to go through Lucas film for approval. They can't just do or write any story they want.
“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE my young padawan”

– Yoda

Get 7 days free game time plus several unlocks by clicking here

Mournblood
01.14.2021 , 02:43 PM | #19
I think the other thread does a much better job of explaining this.

TL;DR version....

2023 ends the exclusivity of EA developing games for the IP. It does not necessarily mean that SWTOR will be shut down in 2023. What it does mean is that other studios will be able to develop games for the IP as of 2023, with approval from Disney. The inevitable competition opens the possibility for a SWTOR vs SWG situation, where one game essentially usurps the market of the other.

Personally, I think this is a VERY good thing for this game. It will force EA to either dedicate more resources to making this game better toward attracting and retaining more players, or face the possibility of losing us to a competitor studio/publisher that makes an even better SWTOR 2.0 (or whatever it ends up being called). Essentially, EA can no longer afford to keep this game on the backburner while it funnels resources and revenue to other projects, assuming they want to keep this game active and profitable.
Mourne, Founder

Tashia
01.14.2021 , 06:08 PM | #20
It could bring in competition -- which is good -- very good
Everquest to Star Wars Old Republic .....
from Swords and Shields to Blasters and Rockets .......