Fun To Play Scoundrel?

HonorThyGamer

Not too long ago I posted a thread over in the Merc forum asking if the class was fun to play. Well now I'm planning ahead and looking for a stealth class to play on the Republic side, which narrows it down to Scoundrel and Shadow, so I checked both forums and now I'm torn.

From a numbers point of view, everything says to go Shadow, but I've been a Sage in the past and played through a fairly large chunk of that storyline. It was SO boring. I barely cared about what was going on in the Consular story, and that's what usually drives me forward in this game more than anything else.

For the Scoundrel, people are constantly complaining about the stealth not being as good as the Shadow. But the thought of playing a character that isn't really all that involved in the war, and just keeps getting drawn into it from the sidelines while they do their own thing, is very appealing to me.

For most of my other characters, I solo almost all the time, but with this new character I want to do a lot more flashpoints and PVP etc. I've been ignoring a pretty sizable chunk of the game and I want to fix that. So my question is: can I play a stealth Scoundrel through the PVE without getting annoyed by the faults too much, and can I at least be competitive in a PVP setting? I want to be useful to groups in Ops and Flashpoints as well.

Also, I want to know if I can respec over to a proficient healer when I need to, without needing to maintain two separate armor sets. I'm actually a very terrible tank, but a good healer, which is also why I'm considering this class over the Shadow.

Ideally I'd want to be stealth focused while soloing PVE content, and healing focused when I'm in a group.

And please don't show me the numbers. I just want to know if it's fun and viable.

From your description it sounds like scoundrel would really suit.

For DPS, Shadow is easier in PvP, though I don't think there's anything to separate them on their Stealth abilities. They mirror pretty closely.

I enjoyed the story a a lot. If you're into wisecracking and laughing at the pompous idiots trying to kill you, you'll enjoy it, plus you start off with a great opponent.

As DPS, you get some important abilites relatively late - Shoot First at 36, Flechette Round at 40. You'll be pretty good in lowbie warzones from there until 50. At 50 you need to get geared before really taking the measure. I didn't have a problem levelling as DPS in PvE, just remember to use your CC.

I'm PvP, so I don't know about Ops or FPs. I've heard some complain that DPS scrappers are poor relatives, but if you're good and part of a decent guild I think you'd be fine.

Scoundrels are the favoured healers for PvP, and DPS gear is supposed to stand you in pretty good stead if you respec. The only stat difference is that Alacrity is of use to healers while useless to DPS (cast times on heals) , but not so much that the DPS set's higher other stats don't pretty much make it up.

Have fun whatever you go for.

Edited by Wainamoinen

Scrappers are awesome in the right hands and are fun to play. I've leveled 4 of the AC to 50 and they are quite capable of soloing most heroic missions along the way. Swapping to Sawbones when you need to is good too.

If you're looking for more all-around fun though, you might want to go for a Shadow. Even though they can't heal, they are way less gear-dependent. As the previous poster stated, when you hit 50 you need gear. Even with full EWH gear you still have 2 lame cooldowns and won't take that many hits (esp if you're a scrapper) so you're more of a glass cannon.

All-in-all, very fun to play though. Story is very good too.

I love playing my sawbones, I have played it as a healer from the start and it has been alot of fun. The first chapter of the SL is pretty good, the 2nd chapter ok. I think if you are playing them darksided in for the money, the 3rd chapter doesn't really seem to fit the character well IMO. I played light side and the SL felt better.

Competitive, sure especially with the stealth ability and can just avoid some mobs. I love it, it;s my main and @ 50 there is always a need for Heals.

I've played all the classes, and tinkered with most of the builds. All i can really say is this:

"Scoundrel>Scrapper is probably the most awesome game play in an MMO I've ever experienced." <---- no BS.

It won't "feel" very fluid until maybe about lvl 33-ish or so. And even then, I think it isn't until you hit lvl 40 that you understand what the build is supposed to do exactly. But once you hit it.... you'll never play a smoother class. It just flows together like water and ice.

Out of all the companions you have access to, as a Scrapper, you'll get the most out of either Risha, Guss, or Akavi. Risha is good when you want to do a lot of focus DPS, and is a god-send when you get her. Corso and Bowdarr are cool and all... but they aren't really useful to a Scrapper at low levels. Guss is great when you are grouped with someone, or just in general because he's such a great character (he's the best Companion in the game as far as I'm concerned.) Akavi will change your entire world. I don't want to spoil it, but I nearly passed out the first time I used her. She destroys everything in your path. Use her for large groups of trash mobs, and just kill, kill, kill. Later on, you will have minimal downtime with her.

Story-wise... ehhh... let me just say this - there are some really great high-points. I mean really great. The best parts are in Act 2, though I think. I have trouble remembering exactly, but Act 3 was a little disappointing, and the ending was... it was just lame. That's all there is to it. But the journey to it was awesome!

PvP..... ehhhh... news is Scrappers are good in 2.0. We shall see. Generally speaking, it is unwise to do a purely Scrapper PvP build -at least I don't recommend it. They just don't perform. Your best bet is to make a Sawbones/Scrapper hybrid.

Stack all the Crit Rating and Surge you can get your hands on - Crit Damage is your bread and butter. Don't waste any Talents or Gear Mods on Alacrity - it's a useless stat for Scrappers. But, like I always say - "When it comes to armor.... you're a Scoundrel. Always go for form over function." Basically, how well you do something is not nearly as important as how good you look while you're doing it :p

For me its fun but also all the time a bit *** play style...

I mean shotgun that magically appears, has no range and can only be fired at the back of target, whats the point of shotgun here? Why not just give us option for knife?

First major letdown for me is Quickshot, what is thge logic that gun has different range for different shots. Quickshot is almost point blank.

I love the survivability on PVE with yank companion but i usually find myself just boringly heaöomh ,u companion due to lack of gun abilities. I hate hand to hand battle with class that is clearly equipped with gun to use.

For me its fun but also all the time a bit *** play style...

I mean shotgun that magically appears, has no range and can only be fired at the back of target, whats the point of shotgun here? Why not just give us option for knife?

First major letdown for me is Quickshot, what is thge logic that gun has different range for different shots. Quickshot is almost point blank.

I love the survivability on PVE with yank companion but i usually find myself just boringly heaöomh ,u companion due to lack of gun abilities. I hate hand to hand battle with class that is clearly equipped with gun to use.

What, an invisible shotgun is less believable compared to choking someone with the Force, magically hiding your lightsaber/gun when you throw a grenade/choke someone/shoot lightning whatever. It's a game. We have enough gun abilities. If you want to be a garbage shooter, go play a Gunslinger or something.