Why KOTOR 3 would've been a better route than SWTOR coming after KOTOR 2..

NobleSpec

Hey Guys, just a speculation that I produced in my head. I know its opinionated, leave your comments and own opinions below.

We can all agree...KOTOR and KOTOR 2 were two great games. The storyline was supreme, the characters, the overall feel was great. We can also agree that TOR era was based around the character of Revan. A hero redeemed, blah blah blah. Ive played KOTOR 1 & 2 and I read "Revan" by my boi Drew. (Big fan of his books after Bane trilogy.) So I have some insight on the whole saga of TOR, like a lot of us do.

Now, Being a great fan of TOR, Revan, and Drew, also I have enjoyed most of the Bioware games (Mass Effect series), Id have to say the course of action they took was disappointing to me. The two-punch hitter with KOTOR 1 & 2 were argued to be the best SW game out there, if not the best Story in a rpg. But what I do not understand is why not go for the third? Where's the strike 3?

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing SWTOR, im not bashing on this game at all. I enjoyed all of these storylines, yes even the counselor. However, in my opinion, the skipping of KOTOR 3 made all the possibilities of the franchise go into the dirt, maybe to be picked up again but not likely. Why? Well..the main character...Revan.

After reading the book "Revan", SPOLIERS!, We can now agree that the book itself was a ploy to somehow get Revan into the MMO. EA move? or not. That probably wasn't a good choice. Why again? Well, just guess how much success a KOTOR 3 would've had, the closure, the finale, the last battle. Its like the last novel to a series of books, all the girls want it! TAKE MAH MONEY!

Ahem. Instead, we get...well I'm not sure what they call it at Bioware. A open ended trilogy? Maybe. It just felt like the story was rushed into the MMO, severing the nice flow the original two set forth. There was no real finale.

NOW don't get me wrong, I loved the novel "Revan". I liked how Drew continued the story of the Hero turned bad then turned good again. I loved it up to the point of.....*drumroll* The last 2 chapters. The Exile died, I wasn't to rocked by it into a rage, A good plot twist, A good shocker, I commend you Drew. T3 was destroyed, okay every book needs a tear jerker, I commend you Drew. Revan is defeated and put into prison. Okay, perfect turn of events that could lead to an awesome conclusion, Bastila and their son save the day? HK-47 saves the day? Where the hell is trust-issue Carth at? Mandalore the Preserver come save the day?.....Nice transition Drew! Now, lets schedule KOTOR 3 and get the conclusion. After that? THEN we hit the audience with an MMO, the new generation, 300 years after Revans conclusion. Leaving room for future KOTOR spin offs. SWTOR, continuing what happened after Revan. But..we didn't get that. We got a unfamiliar route, not used a lot when it comes to these vast sagas. The facts Obsidian released about the possible KOTOR 3 I thought were perfect, I thought the novel was great until it revealed its purpose of keeping Revan alive 300 years later...Another flaw, slightly, Revan is out of his time and no one can really fit Revan into the story of SWTOR, He now feels overused, and a lot of people want him dead, which is a shame, considering the legacy of the character. Enough of my rant, it will not change anything, however I wish to be a story director for video games in the future, and its just a flaw I saw, however SWTOR is a great game...The order IMO should've went KOTOR 1, KOTOR 2, KOTOR 3, then SWTOR. then IC stories would be considered SWTOR 2 SWTOR 3 SWTOR 4...so on. Instead of it being considered KOTOR 3 4 5 6 7 8. Because in my opinion SWTOR is not KOTOR..Why? lol because it is a MMO, and KOTOR wasn't an MMO.

How am I dealing with this? I literally cut out the last chapter of the novel, and am currently waiting for KOTOR 3...lol...I can be patient.

Im done!:)

Edited by NobleSpec

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason why they didn't make a third one was because they came up with eight different stories and not a single writer could decide which one was better than the rest.

Also, because Bioware doesn't want another "Retake" movement when people complained that the new hero doesn't get a happy ending.

The reason why they didn't make a third one was because they came up with eight different stories and not a single writer could decide which one was better than the rest.

Also, because Bioware doesn't want another "Retake" movement when people complained that the new hero doesn't get a happy ending.

So you're saying KOTOR 3 could've revolved around a BH or a Smuggler? Guys I'm talking about KOTOR, which remember is set 300 years before the setting we are currently in. So the eight stories we have couldn't have been really tied to the KOTOR plot, except for JK, maybe JC or SW. I believe KOTOR back 300 years ago was a time of Revan, then the Exile. Unless they planned on making KOTOR 3 a ways away chronologically from KOTOR 2, before deciding to make SWTOR

I agree with OP, there could - and should - be a KOTOR 3. They have sensibly set SWTOR a significant time after KOTOR and KOTOR 2. There could easily be a gap where they could fit in KOTOR 3.

Let's do it!

We can only hope, however, with what SWTOR showed and the novel, It will be very hard to fit a KOTOR 3 in there now. Unless they somehow drastically erase the story they made, or make a game about the novel? Unless they do it based on another character that isn't Revan or the Exile, which may be odd.

So you're saying KOTOR 3 could've revolved around a BH or a Smuggler? Guys I'm talking about KOTOR, which remember is set 300 years before the setting we are currently in. So the eight stories we have couldn't have been really tied to the KOTOR plot, except for JK, maybe JC or SW. I believe KOTOR back 300 years ago was a time of Revan, then the Exile. Unless they planned on making KOTOR 3 a ways away chronologically from KOTOR 2, before deciding to make SWTOR

Yes, A BH or Smuggler could have been the basis for KotOR 3. You do know that there are OTHER people in the Star Wars universe outside of Jedi and Sith, right? Not everything has to be Lightsabers and morality.

They coulda easily made it like Dragon Age. Have all 8 classes do a quick short opening individual story to have some background to your character then have both sides meet up in one area and area and taken the best companions from both sides and a have 2 Singular stories where your character's class wouldn't matter in the end.

They coulda easily made it like Dragon Age. Have all 8 classes do a quick short opening individual story to have some background to your character then have both sides meet up in one area and area and taken the best companions from both sides and a have 2 Singular stories where your character's class wouldn't matter in the end.

Or like Mass Effect, where your class just determines what ways of combat you do and just put you in a story alone.

Yes, A BH or Smuggler could have been the basis for KotOR 3. You do know that there are OTHER people in the Star Wars universe outside of Jedi and Sith, right? Not everything has to be Lightsabers and morality.

Haha yes I'm well aware of other people in star wars than Jedi and Sith. However....It is called "KNIGHTS" Of the Old Republic for a reason.

Its just hard to believe the 8 IC stories were meant for KOTOR 3, thus them deciding it to be SWTOR, a mmo.

KOTOR 1 & 2 were based around Revan and the Exile, and the mystery shrouding the two, as well of other characters of course. I could understand why JK would be considered KOTOR 3, because it's the only IC story that has anything to do with the KOTOR time period just because of the Novel that connected the two together. But JK story is just one storyline, justifying why people would've preferred a KOTOR 3, a single player story. Instead of 1 story out of 8 that actually kinda connects to the past KOTOR franchises. All the other stories are great, but they are in the SWTOR era, not the KOTOR era. If that makes sense.

Haha yes I'm well aware of other people in star wars than Jedi and Sith. However....It is called "KNIGHTS" Of the Old Republic for a reason.

Its just hard to believe the 8 IC stories were meant for KOTOR 3, thus them deciding it to be SWTOR, a mmo.

KOTOR 1 & 2 were based around Revan and the Exile, and the mystery shrouding the two, as well of other characters of course. I could understand why JK would be considered KOTOR 3, because it's the only IC story that has anything to do with the KOTOR time period just because of the Novel that connected the two together. But JK story is just one storyline, justifying why people would've preferred a KOTOR 3, a single player story. Instead of 1 story out of 8 that actually kinda connects to the past KOTOR franchises. All the other stories are great, but they are in the SWTOR era, not the KOTOR era. If that makes sense.

KotOR is just a title. I mean, Dragon Age has absolutely no dragons in it at all. Just one demon people mistook for a dragon. That doesn't mean the story makes no sense.

For Gods sake, you can play 8 different stories for free. A much better value than a kotor3.

Except allowing 2-3 years between games it would have been almost time for KOTOR 5 by now.

Edited by Sphinxes

KotOR is just a title. I mean, Dragon Age has absolutely no dragons in it at all. Just one demon people mistook for a dragon. That doesn't mean the story makes no sense.

Flemeth, the High Dragon in Haven, all the drake trash-mobs...

Flemeth, the High Dragon in Haven, all the drake trash-mobs...

I view Drakes as the Snakes of the Dragon world. They be classified by science as reptiles, but they are nowhere near true as Dragons. And Flemeth was a shape shifter, not a Dragon. It's like saying RC Cola is Pepsi.

It's not. And it never will be. :mad:

I see even in 2014 will this particular dead equine animal get its fair share of assault and battery.

Everbody grab a stick and give it a good whack. Keep whacking. We're not done done yet.

Give it another few good swings. Nope, not yet. The little blighter still looks vaguely horselike....

Anyway, the dead horse that I keep beating is: while I rather have a SWTOR than a KoTOR 3,

I'd rather have a singleplayer SWTOR than a MMORPG SWTOR. So there. That's my contribution to the

future lasagna meat / glue production.

Edited by Talahar

We can only hope, however, with what SWTOR showed and the novel, It will be very hard to fit a KOTOR 3 in there now. Unless they somehow drastically erase the story they made, or make a game about the novel? Unless they do it based on another character that isn't Revan or the Exile, which may be odd.

Knights of the Old Republic. Not Revan of the Old Republic. KOTOR was about a single Jedi Knight. KOTOR 2 was about a different Jedi. KOTOR 3 will be about a entirely different Jedi. The KOTOR era does not revolve around Revan and Meetra. It revolves around the Jedi.

The story of KOTOR 3 could easily be set anytime before or after SWTOR. Hell, it could even be a prequel and be set before the original. Revan is not the center of the era, which covers millennia. A true KOTOR 3 single player rpg can be made, not involve Revan and be a huge hit. Revan's story is finished. The novel pretty much filled in all the holes the game left open. The flashpoints in TOR add a little more to the story of Revan and Meetra but in no way were the focus of this game.

Knights of the Old Republic. Not Revan of the Old Republic. KOTOR was about a single Jedi Knight. KOTOR 2 was about a different Jedi. KOTOR 3 will be about a entirely different Jedi. The KOTOR era does not revolve around Revan and Meetra. It revolves around the Jedi.

The story of KOTOR 3 could easily be set anytime before or after SWTOR. Hell, it could even be a prequel and be set before the original. Revan is not the center of the era, which covers millennia. A true KOTOR 3 single player rpg can be made, not involve Revan and be a huge hit. Revan's story is finished. The novel pretty much filled in all the holes the game left open. The flashpoints in TOR add a little more to the story of Revan and Meetra but in no way were the focus of this game.

*clap* *clap* *clap*

First let me just say that even though this has been discussed before and is somewhat of a dead horse, it is a good conversation to have. I always find the different points of view interesting.

In my view, SWTOR is KOTOR 3, and 4 and 5 and maybe more. It may not have provided the story you are looking for OP focusing around Revan, but we have several new branches to add to the KOTOR tree as a result of it. I would love to see the Imperial Agent story continue to unfold. If the writing is as good as it was for SWTOR what a fantastic new element it would add.

As was mentioned by others and from my perspective Knights of The Old Republic is really the story of an era. Knights don't have to be and integral part of every branch. So... now we have other stories to explore. Bring on more KOTOR!

I view Drakes as the Snakes of the Dragon world. They be classified by science as reptiles, but they are nowhere near true as Dragons. And Flemeth was a shape shifter, not a Dragon. It's like saying RC Cola is Pepsi.

It's not. And it never will be. :mad:

There still is the High Dragon in Haven.

Also, the Dragons were supposed to be extinct before one was seen near the end of the prior Age, which led to naming the next age The Age of Dragon (or Dragon Age). Origins take place in 20th year of Dragon Age, I think, or something like that, and Dragons mature pretty long time from what I understand

I agree with OP, there could - and should - be a KOTOR 3. They have sensibly set SWTOR a significant time after KOTOR and KOTOR 2. There could easily be a gap where they could fit in KOTOR 3.

Let's do it!

Personally I like to look at the Jedi Knight story as what would've been KOTOR 3 had they made it instead of SWTOR.