EA Blames Subscriber Loss on Casual Players (TOR-Talk Editorial)

Bertolli

Today TOR-Talk Writer Sly Lasko broke down and summarized the most recent EA Conference Call with the TOR-related material. If you haven't heard the number of people playing SW:TOR has dropped 25%; 1.7 million people were known to playing SW:TOR before the most recent conference call, as of a couple days ago it is now at 1.3 million. If you want a good read I encourage you to check out this article. Shown below is a little glimpse:

Two days ago during the Electronic Arts Q4 financial report, The Old Republic active subscriber base was announced to be sitting at 1.3 million. This was a stark change from the 1.7 million that was announced a mere two months ago.

Today, Eurogamer highlighted some quotes from the investor call, in which EA attributes the loss of subscribers to the casual player base. EA labels Frank Gibeau had this to say about the significant loss.

“When we launched the product back in December, it was an event launch. We brought in a lot of users, and with a brand like Star Wars, it reaches out much past the hardcore MMO fan base into the broader market. And as the service evolves from here, what we’re seeing is that some of the initial casual customers have gone through a billing cycle and decided not to subscribe to the game.”

To continue reading the article click on this link!

• What's your take on this most recent news? Please give us your opinion.

Edited by Bertolli

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NICE maybe EA will now stop cattering to the masses and give people that actually play the game stuff they want, like more operations, more flashpoints, more warzones, dual spec, server transfers, probably missing something else :D

We will have to see. Although I don't think more Warzones, Flashpoints, Operations, etc. will bring people back. I think there needs to be more expansion on Open World-PvP (Fix and expand Illum) or perhaps "Mini-games" like Pazaak, swoop racing, etc. something to compete with WoW's *NEW* Pokemon game mechanic.

NICE maybe EA will now stop cattering to the masses and give people that actually play the game stuff they want, like more operations, more flashpoints, more warzones, dual spec, server transfers, probably missing something else :D

Nah they'll still cater to the guy who plays once a week...the guy who didn't like getting laughed at when my TA proc'd in pvp, the guy who didn't like the fact that the party instigator/bomb made him dance, the guy who doesn't know how to play his toon, but knows who at Bioware to complain to.

Well in a way the way TOR is set up almost hurts casuals.

I finally finished a year at college, didn't have that much time to grind for BM gear, although I could care less about the "OMG GET BM GEAR YOU NOOB!!!!!" comments (I just ignore and move on), for those who actually take comments like that to heart, I could imagine a "What's the point" type of feeling forming for some. Pretty much we run on a "You need gear X or Y or I won't help you!" attitude. At least we got recruit gear now.

There was also the over-hype with everyone expecting TOR ot have all the quality and skill of a 10 year old MMO :rolleyes: .

Edited by Eillack

Well in a way the way TOR is set up almost hurts casuals.

I finally finished a year at college, didn't have that much time to grind for BM gear, although I could care less about the "OMG GET BM GEAR YOU NOOB!!!!!" comments (I just ignore and move on), for those who actually take comments like that to heart, I could imagine a "What's the point" type of feeling forming for some. Pretty much we run on a "You need gear X or Y or I won't help you!" attitude. At least we got recruit gear now.

There was also the over-hype with everyone expecting TOR ot have all the quality and skill of a 10 year old MMO :rolleyes: .

I feel like BioWare has almost catered to casuals a little bit with the new system; valor rank is almost obsolete and for some odd reason "Recruit PvP' has a considerable amount of expertise.

Edited by Bertolli

I feel like BioWare has almost catered to casuals a little bit with the new system; valor rank is almost obsolete and for some odd reason "Recruit PvP' has a considerable amount of expertise.

This is what I meant for what we have now (too late for X amount of those subs). I love that BW is trying to aid pvp'ers on their way to BM, but sadly before that it was a nice grind. At least BW is loosening the grip that was on pvp gear.

You are confusing different types of casual player. The players EA mentioned are the ones who wanted to try this game because it's a new Star Wars game. That's not the same as a SWTOR subscriber who plays casually, i.e. not five hours a night every night. Same thing happens with every big new game, it will happen with Guild Wars 2, with TERA, again when WoW's expansion comes out, etc., etc.

You're really going to go with "blames?" You think that word best describes the situation?

I guess it's better than "blasts" or "destroys" or whatever other egregious buzz words the media loves to use to stir up trouble.

aint gona happen on there budget. As is they are allready claiming to pump out 2 expasnions within the next couple months..more promising things they dont deliver. This is their track record to date. Tell people all this stuff is going into the next patch and only 1/3 actualy goes in and to further look more stupid that 1/3 was to be in the game back in jan.

Im done with this game too like thousands are. Enjoy your stupid clicker game.

Edited by HumanSheild

Maybe casual players decided not to subscribe because of massive downtown. Bi weekly maint has caused a few players to leave because the times they have to play the servers are down. At this rate the only players who will be left are those who dont mind the downtime cause it gives them a chance to go eat their one meal a day and have nothing better to do than play SWTOR. And with 30 days free play time to make up for it....well i still got billed so wheres my 30 free days.

Maybe casual players decided not to subscribe because of massive downtown. Bi weekly maint has caused a few players to leave because the times they have to play the servers are down.

1) I assume you meant down-time not downtown. Also I assume you meant twice a week, not bi-weekly as that would mean every other week.

2) If 4-6 hour maintenance per week causes a player to quit the game, they are not a casual player. As a "casual" player would casually find something else to do during these times.

3) The servers generally go live well before the estimated time BioWare states. Why don't you complain they can't keep to their schedule on that?

Edited by DMuhny

SWTOR has its problems which is not helping, but I believe the problem is with MMORPGs as currently imagined and designed by the player community and developers. There needs to be a fundamental shift to bring the play back to the genre. PVP combined with PVE does not work. Serve one or the other community and do it well. You will not get the huge numbers of subscribers, but the subscribers you do get will be dedicated to the game.

I would prefer if they could make the client more stable.

Another reason some players are leaving and BW & EA won't acknowledge is due to Mass Effect 3.

Several of my freinds played SWTOR religiously but when BW screwed up ME3 they all got on the bandwagon and decided to bann BW / EA till they fixxed Mass Effect 3 and canceled their accounts and it's around 43 people I know who canceled their accounts because of ME3.

Their kinda upset with me because I didn't jump on the wagon an join them but while I believe ME3 was mostly a great game except the ending, I still love SWTOR and will continue playing it and yes I'm a casual player, I have to be I work 14 hours a day 5 days a week and on my days off I have to do chores around the house, then I can squeek in a couple hours play time.

"Casual players. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

I think within the context of the statement it's referring to people who CASUALLY picked up the game to try and found it wasn't for them. Not the diehards who rushed out to get it on day one. Nothing to do with the amount of time one has to play NOR the attitude they present when they play.

LFG system, Server transfers and rank warzones and I think they could had avoided this in my opinion , yes they are coming but with Diablo,GW2,Terra and The Secret World coming they need to add it as soon as posible or else other games are going to eat up the subs at least for a time .

I think the Legacy system wasnt as important or amazing as they think it is at least not yet , frankly I dont care about it and I have a lot of alts for me is just a pretty family tree that comes with the nice alts buff perk.

Bioware Didn't Have to Lose 400,000 Subs

I think it is not fair to blame casuals on the decline. Bioware launched an MMO that had the tools of a single player game, they haven't given us a good set of community tools to organize, and you can't enjoy the level 50 end game for PVE if you cannot regularly find quality groups to do the content.

No one is going to pay $15 a month to idle in the fleet.