Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is the Old Republic better than anything Disney has produced?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Why is the Old Republic better than anything Disney has produced?

ApollosNight
01.22.2019 , 11:02 AM | #1
Seriously: why?

VelvetSanity
01.22.2019 , 07:40 PM | #2
Because TFA and TLJ make everything look bleak, hopeless, and pointless?
Pre-CU Bria refugee
Syvari Lun - Cathar Jedi Sage
Darth Vaccina - Twi’lek Sith Sorceress

MadDutchman
01.22.2019 , 08:04 PM | #3
Because Disney is no longer concerned with telling good stories, they merely have a political agenda to fulfill
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

SteveTheCynic
01.23.2019 , 09:38 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by VelvetSanity View Post
Because TFA and TLJ make everything look bleak, hopeless, and pointless?
More bleak, hopeless and pointless than Ep3 would have been if it had been released before ANH/ESB/RotJ?
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

FlameYOL
01.23.2019 , 10:03 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
More bleak, hopeless and pointless than Ep3 would have been if it had been released before ANH/ESB/RotJ?
Imagine the outrage in regards to ROTS had been released today...
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

Yeldah_
01.25.2019 , 06:46 PM | #6
Probably because Disney is focused on the final outcome($$$) and not the product that makes it. George Lucas made Star Wars because he wanted to, not just to get rich. Wealth was just a side benefit of his creation. Disney is the other way around; they focus on the wealth and largely ignore what they are producing. At least that is what is looks like from here.

Noyjitat
01.25.2019 , 10:50 PM | #7
disney starwars = social justice politics and activist storywriters and a complete dismantling of all the old so they can move on to the new vision they have for starwars. So until they realize simply putting "starwars" in the title isnt enough... it wont improve.
Spoiler

Celise
01.26.2019 , 02:32 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Yeldah_ View Post
Probably because Disney is focused on the final outcome($$$) and not the product that makes it. George Lucas made Star Wars because he wanted to, not just to get rich. Wealth was just a side benefit of his creation. Disney is the other way around; they focus on the wealth and largely ignore what they are producing. At least that is what is looks like from here.
If George really didn't care about money he would never of sold it in the first place. Of course its about money, it always will be and that is why he created Star Wars so he could fatten it and bait it. Now he can retire happy with billions in his pockets and his family never has to work again so long as they are careful with that money. Even his great, great, great, grand children would be living it up on a cushy lifestyle.

Being the guy who created Star Wars and building a whole film industry around, it was just a job to him.

Quote: Originally Posted by ApollosNight View Post
Seriously: why?
Disney is all about childrens TV and influencing young minds about the concept of social justice and equality. It used to be just about entertainment but those days are long dead and buried.

SWTOR was released in 2011, before Disney brought Lucasfilm out in 2012. Basically SWTOR got lucky with the timing of when it was developed and released.

FlameYOL
01.26.2019 , 01:53 PM | #9
Because Star Wars has never done social commentary... ever... especially not under Lucas.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

Rebamcfan
01.26.2019 , 02:20 PM | #10
I personally enjoy both the Old Republic-era and Disney´s new era in Canon. Legends has many good stuff within it, like Thrawn, the Old Republic-era with its many interesting characters like Revan and Kreia, or the beginnings of the Sith Order and so forth. But the new Canon has amazing things too that just make me very excited for Star Wars in general: all new films, particularly Rogue One and The Last Jedi, Rebels tv-series that greatly expands upon the universe, like the World between Worlds and offers new perspectives to Rebellion. And of course on top of cake, new Thrawn-novels that expand greatly upon his character and persona, my favorite Star Wars-character ever <3
Yeah, I'm a shameless Thrawn-fanboy
But to add more into discussion, it's a matter of taste and opinion in the end. I see why some people may not like the new things, but that's fine, each to their own opinion.
http://www.swtor.com/r/3d6ZQg Many thanks for those who have clicked my Referral link, I've been able to unlock many things. ^_^
"To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, arts." -Grand Admiral Thrawn