Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The portrayal of the Sith: Wasted potential

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
The portrayal of the Sith: Wasted potential

MikeCobalt
08.17.2018 , 10:25 PM | #11
The Nazi's, The Roman Empire and Persian Empire before them did not see themselves as "Evil" Per Se as the Sith and Empire here neither. They all considered themselves as "Bringing Order to a Chaotic Environment" Everybody else see's, judges this as Oppressive. Too much Order can seem like Oppression and Too Much Freedom can lead to Anarchy. Both sides do have merit and both sides in excess can spoil everything. Oppression and Freedom are both Relative terms and depend entirely on who's speaking at that moment. I like freedom very much, but if somebody smash's my car I want to know the system will make sure it doesn't happen again and again. The Sith seem to drive themselves to their potential and acts in attaining that that most would not. Even Vader knew when making a deal would lead to more then simply killing everybody around. Somebody that seemed a Mindless Killer I wouldn't think would live very long as nobody would trust them and around the other Sith, that person would be judged as unpredictable and dangerous.

Spetulhu
08.18.2018 , 08:05 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeCobalt View Post
Somebody that seemed a Mindless Killer I wouldn't think would live very long as nobody would trust them and around the other Sith, that person would be judged as unpredictable and dangerous.
A mindless killer would forever be limited to a few choices.

He could serve someone who needs an attack dog, gaining some protection from enemies through the political power of his master. He could get ganged up on, and eventually put down, by those who think he's too unstable to have in the same neighborhood. He could also go into exile somewhere he doesn't encounter other Sith (or Jedi) who care what he's doing.

Whatever "freedom" he thinks there is in killing everyone who looks funny at him will imprison him even worse than before.

Celise
08.19.2018 , 02:31 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Xqirrel View Post
Yo guys, this is my first post on the forums, so be gentle

I recently started playing the SW story, and the way my character developed led me to realize how much potential is constantly being wasted in how the Sith, and the dark side in general, is portrayed in Star Wars.

My Sith is not some crazy, charicature, she is not some lunatic that goes around killing puppies - she basically is Daenerys Targaryen, just evil

Imagine a world where the Sith are not constantly portrayed as this ridiculous, over the top interpretation of space Nazis - instead they are the powerful, merciless rulers of a powerful, authoritarian interstellar empire, almost worshipped like demigods by their subjects.

Which villain actually portrays themselves as evil? Nobody does, including the Sith! The sith don't see themselves as evil, in their minds they are the good guys - and the Jedi are nothing but a perversion of nature, an affront to the natural order.

When i think of a sith lord in my head i don't think of Darth Sidious, or Snoke - I'm thinking of Tywin Lannister, of Julius Caesar, of Darken Rahl (if anybody read the sword of truth)!

I actually think that is what they tried to do with Valkorion - who is a better, and more intimidating Sith that Vitiate ever was, imo!
I'm tired of the same, rehearsed version of space Nazis in every new Star Wars film - who in their right mind would actually fight for these idiots?

Disclaimer: this post has no point, i just was bored and felt like rambling
Daenerys only goes for the major dark side points if there is no other option on the table, she values the council she gets and won't disregard it when there are potentially better options on the table. she accepted advice from Tyrion Lannister and even trusted her potential rival to the iron throne in Jon Snow who leads the forces in the north. Even though her alliances start out on a rocky path, it gets better as it goes along.

Unlike your Sith character, you only got a smart mouth twi'lek and a fat sith at the start as your only source of understanding and then you get a bootlicker imperial captain who will keep you firmly in the dark side camp and none of them really offer their advice to you. then you get jaesa and depending on the side chosen you will be giving her advice instead of the other way around. At least Pierce offers a few bits of wisdom, but otherwise he remains hands off and finally you get a 4 eyed carpet following you around who wants to kill everything he sees.

bad example you got there.

Quote: Originally Posted by OldVengeance View Post
People fought for the actual Nazis in real life. Sith aren't that ridiculous. Besides, its not as if Game of Thrones doesn't have it's own share of "puppy kicking" characters.
Roose Bolton only allied with who was strongest and those willing to advance the Bolton cause.
Then Ramsey Bolton came along and he showed us what a true Human being is capable of without the ethics and rules to get in the way, he is the perfect embodiment of a Sith. a depraved lunatic who is capable of seperating his "work" from his free time like it was a switch that can be flipped at any moment.

Xqirrel
08.19.2018 , 06:13 PM | #14
I might actually upload my playthrough with her, as I'm recording the dialogues anyway, you'll know what i mean

Also keep in mind that the SW comes from a Sith family, he/she is basically nobility... It makes sense to know a bit or two about the Sith way of thinking. My Sith is basically a "moral" person... It's just that because of how she grew up and was educated, her definition of "right and wring" are fundamentally different from the Jedi, or people in the republic. It's actually pretty nice, I'm going through the effort of actually going through every dialogue choice and then doing what "feels" right.
If i have the time i'll upload it, everyone needs a hobby

MikeCobalt
08.20.2018 , 05:17 PM | #15
Something I just found.
https://imgur.com/xAY2AHG

fovzwk
09.04.2018 , 09:43 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by FlameYOL View Post
Pretty much. The Sith aren't always puppy kicking lunatics, although it is the stereotype many Sith portray themselves as. This game has lots of examples of Sith who aren't that stereotype,Darth Vowrawn, Darth Malgus, Darth Marr, Empress Acina, Lana Beniko and even to an extent Darth Jadus I would say.
Now with most of these exmaples I will agree. However Darth Jadus is exactly the puppy kicking montrous variety of Sith. The only difference between him and the usual Sith of the sort is that he kicks puppy in a creepy soft-spoken sadist kind of way instead of in a burning rage. After all his end goal is to have everyone in the empire live in "fear and degradation" and his favorite pastimes include torturing ships full of civilians to madness and being an absuive father. Pretty much the only worse sith lords are the dread master, who are ******* crazy due to being mindr*ped by dark side atefacts themselves and the Sith emperor himself who made crossing the moral event horizon his daily workout routine.

FlameYOL
09.05.2018 , 03:14 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by fovzwk View Post
Now with most of these exmaples I will agree. However Darth Jadus is exactly the puppy kicking montrous variety of Sith. The only difference between him and the usual Sith of the sort is that he kicks puppy in a creepy soft-spoken sadist kind of way instead of in a burning rage. After all his end goal is to have everyone in the empire live in "fear and degradation" and his favorite pastimes include torturing ships full of civilians to madness and being an absuive father. Pretty much the only worse sith lords are the dread master, who are ******* crazy due to being mindr*ped by dark side atefacts themselves and the Sith emperor himself who made crossing the moral event horizon his daily workout routine.
Mostly Darth Jadus does things with a purpose, I am by no means condoning his actions, however his actions are done with purpose despite being extremely twisted. He isn't merely kicking puppies for the sake of kicking puppies. Dread Masters are indeed stereotypical which is why I dislike them, and that comment about Tenebrae had me genuinely chuckled, I think he's a very cool villain but "crossing the moral horizon his daily workout rotine" is the most accurate description I've ever heard.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

cool-dude
10.24.2018 , 02:24 AM | #18
They are only portrayed as evil from the republic perspective, while they aren't in the Empires perspective. I think the game does a decent Job at establishing that republic and empire are two very different cultures.
I'm a cool dude

Myrmicus
10.24.2018 , 05:37 PM | #19
Siths aren't necessarily "space nazis", but they are fueled by their passions and focus on the most negative ones. Of course there will be some puppy kicking at some point... But, as others said, most of them have a purpose : Darth Jadus plan to make averyone fall into fear and degradation. He doesn't do this for the evuls, but because it will make him more powerful. The Emperor is similar in that regard, as he fed on the fear of others during his early life, before starting to feed off people souls. The sad truth is, the corruption of the Dark Side is not needed for amoral and sadist people to exist... but the Dark Side do corrupt people into amoral and selfish monsters. At best, a Darksider is a well intentionned monster, but he is a monster still.

My main character, the Sith Inquisitor, is a pragmatic, sympathetic monster : she wants to power (both political an through the Force), can and will do anything to achieve this goal. She has some sadist streaks, where she can torture people just because it's fun (or because they pissed her off)... but she will also try to avoid unnecessary casualties and wishes to achieve peace and become a benevolent ruler.

Aeneas_Falco
10.24.2018 , 07:31 PM | #20
The Sith pretty much are mustache-twirling villains in the Star Wars universe, which is why they are portrayed that way in SWTOR. Think Vader in the original films, ordering Alderaan destroyed or choking out Admirals that have failed him for the last time.

It is part and parcel to the nature of the dark side.