I don't know what to think about this

NeroTethras

Not an actual spoiler, just a huge block of text.

Beginning September 12, 2013, active Subscribers will receive the first Digital Expansion: Rise of the Hutt Cartel free of charge as a newly added benefit to the Subscriber Rewards Program! Rise of the Hutt Cartel offers the breathtaking planet of Makeb, five new levels of story-driven missions increasing the level cap to 55, and exciting technology devices which unlock valuable rewards.

Additionally, players who have already purchased Rise of the Hutt Cartel and are an active Subscriber on September 12 at 4:00AM PDT / 11:00AM GMT will receive a new title, “The Risen,” via in-game mail on or before September 25, 2013 as our appreciation for the purchase.

Finally, Subscribers who purchase Rise of the Hutt Cartel between August 11, 2013 and September 12, 2013 at 9:00AM PDT / 4:00PM GMT will be granted 1050 Bonus Cartel Coins in appreciation for their recent purchase of Rise of the Hutt Cartel. The 1050 Bonus Cartel Coins will be granted by September 13, 2013 at 9:00AM PDT / 4:00PM GMT.

Seriously, people who supported you and bought it at release get a title? People who buy it right before you make it completely free get a 1k CC coin grant?

Making it free for subs wouldn't really be as much of a slap in the face if you promised to give subs who bought it at release a refund or the same CC grant subs are getting on 11-12 for buying it. I really don't like making complete complain threads like this, but this is absolutely ridiculous.

Guess the message here is; don't support us at release, wait a few months and you'll get it completely free.

Total agreement here. If they're going to grant 1050 cartel coins to people who purchase it now, they should also retroactively grant those coins to subscribers who previously purchased it, too. I preordered Makeb, but all I get is a stupid title? I guess I'll wait before making rash decisions like that in the future.

Total agreement here. If they're going to grant 1050 cartel coins to people who purchase it now, they should also retroactively grant those coins to subscribers who previously purchased it, too. I preordered Makeb, but all I get is a stupid title? I guess I'll wait before making rash decisions like that in the future.

Actually, if you pre-ordered you get 2 titles (you already have Scourge of the Hutts), plus a crappy looking pet, and what is likely a now obsolete portable trainer. Let's not forget months of access to content before others who didn't purchase it.

All sarcasm aside, like you my first reaction was to be a bit upset over it. However, as I've read through mulitple threads of the same ranting, I've decided I'll likely not pre-order the next expansion and wait for them to make an announcement like the one today. I'll probably even cancel my sub for a few months so I don't feel like I'm being "left out" of content, save the month, come back when the expansion is free or I get a CC grant offer (basically making it free), then enjoy it until next expansion.

Actually, if you pre-ordered you get 2 titles (you already have Scourge of the Hutts), plus a crappy looking pet, and what is likely a now obsolete portable trainer. Let's not forget months of access to content before others who didn't purchase it.

It's not obsolete to me.

But then, I play a lot of alts. So I guess it's meant to encourage people to make lots of new characters and play through them.

Posted this elsewhere, but totally relevant.

I knew as soon as I read it on the homepage. "People are going to be blowing up the forums about this."

This isn't a new, uncommon, or even ground-breaking marketing tactic. You ever pay for cable service? sure you have. We all have. after a couple years, your special introductory rates expire, and you're left paying 30-40% more than you did for the first year because of that, but you're still content enough to keep paying. Then it happens. You see a big deal from your cable provider offering the same bundle you got, for $20-$30 less than you bought it for years ago, AND they're throwing in a $300 gift card to -wheverthehellmart-. Big deal. This is just another way for Bioware to look beyond the price tag of an expansion, and look to make more money in the future. A lot of F2P players at this point have hit 50, done a few operations, shelled out cash for artifact gear authorization, and for weekly passes to content they don't get otherwise, and are starting to wonder if it's really worth the cash they're shelling out every week.

Then BAM! They log in and see "subscribe today and get the expansion FREE!" So, they get all the bonuses they may not have already purchased from the market, more FREE character slots, so they can play those classes they've desperately wanted to, but not wanted to splurge on a new character slot, AND they get to experience makeb in it's full glory, and get those next 5 levels. I also forgot to mention that if they're starting new characters, and don't want to take forver, they're buying things like the going places bundle, ($20 The original price of the X-pac! THE IRONY!) or several packs of experience boosts, roughly $3-4 each. What does that do? It breathes new life into the F2P system, and encourages them to SPEND MONEY! This isn't about slapping loyal subscribers in the face. It's about marketing, and how best to push the game forward, and make money at the same time. Feeling cheated by this marketing tactic is selfish. In my opinion anyway. I know I don't feel cheated one bit. I applaud EA/Bio for finding a way to expand their game for everyone, not just a select number.

I don't know, maybe I'm just too much of a market focused consumer. That's just how I see. +1 Bioware for making a great game more accessible to everyone.

Edited by Noodlegotagun
posting error

It's not obsolete to me.

But then, I play a lot of alts. So I guess it's meant to encourage people to make lots of new characters and play through them.

Noticed that about this game it really, really, really encourages altitus!

Heck, take the Legacy system, I played and played and played my main at max level for weeks and seemed to get almost nowhere on my Legacy Level but the moment I got tired of the same character and started rolling a couple alts, my Legacy Level just shot through the roof. Not sure how that works but the beloved who kept his main and started 6 months before me and spent all that time still playing his main is now a lower Legacy Level then I am. And, that's not even going into the various bonuses that you accumulate for leveling the different classes.

Personally, I think it's because they want you to go through all of their content but, I could be wrong. :cool:

Back to topic though, I love the holo-trainer and frankly, I think that the QoL improvement of having it was worth a ten-er in and of itself but that's just me I guess. :) And, that being said, I thought that was pretty much just the way that MMOs run, they release some super-cool expansion for a price, let it hang for a while, knock down the price, then make it free just before they release a new super-cool expansion for a price.....

Granted, the time-frame seems to be a little on the quick side to me, but then again, so has just about everything that they've been releasing so maybe this is just their update schedule.

Edited by Dallayna

Isn't he able to do repairs as well ?

No, sadly not. The only holo-statue to allow you to repair with is the Revan one. He is a vendor, not a trainer.

The Satele and Malgus statues are also trainers, not vendors so no repairs.

I agree the holo-trainer from pre-order of Makeb is nice for alts, and I have used the heck out of it, even though its only for class skills, not crafter skills. However, once hitting 55 its just a cargo hold space waster thus it will become obsolete eventually unless all you do is level a toon to 55, let it sit (or delete it) and start anew. That gets old after a while. :D