Where can I find orange items?

Zarram

You can get some from coms vendors, some are random drops in FP's and some are given out at the end of quests (heroics and class quests normally)
This. The really cool ones (imho) come from FP boss drops and planet Heroic 4 quest rewards.

http://www.galactickegger.com/SWTOR/Screenshot_2012-04-07_22_27_25_625000.jpg

Edited by GalacticKegger

On all planets and normally in corner areas of maps or places you wouldn't normally need to go, you will find the odd elite enemy. These will drop anything from green to purple (seems to be random), the items will be relative to the level of the planet your on, but if your picking up purple kit at your current level your laughing - if you can defeat them of course...

The vast majority of them can be found earlier in the game from using your tokens you earn from each planet. Not every planet has orange items availible but most do then you can use tokens from new planets for mods instead.

On all planets and normally in corner areas of maps or places you wouldn't normally need to go, you will find the odd elite enemy. These will drop anything from green to purple (seems to be random), the items will be relative to the level of the planet your on, but if your picking up purple kit at your current level your laughing - if you can defeat them of course...
My main's server (Mask of Nihilus) throws pug world boss op parties a lot and they are a great way to get purples. As with any other party you have to win the roll, but each boss usually drops 2 or 3 class-specific gear or weapon items, a purple slot mod and the occasional rare/epic crafting recipe. Edited by GalacticKegger

Can they be crafted?
Yes, there are a selection of orange items that can be produced by Synthweavers and Armormechs. The available schematics will be increased in 1.2, and likely continue to increase over time.

Additionally, as of 1.2 critically-crafted orange items will include an augment slot in addition to the general modification slots for that item.

Lots of good answers here, just want to add that I got Inquisitor bracers from a strong robot in that tunnel on Quesh where the datacron is and I know there's another one or two I got that were drops from a non-elite but I don't recall the items or the mobs.

Chest & legs can be had just about anywhere. Esseles Flashpoint, Specialty Goods vendors on just about any world.

I got my gloves from the Specialty Goods vendor on Taris, and my head band from the Specialty Goods vendot on Nar Shaada. Got my boots from the Light Side vendor in Fleet. Requiored Light II.

No idea where to get orange belts, bracers, or anything else.

Oh, my female republic Sage was rickin' the Coruscant formalwear, but it is by far the Ugliest prom dress you'll ever see. Ditched it and got the Salve Girl outfit.

A lot of orange gear is actually "world drops"- a few are on the same chart as green items, but most are on the same chart as a "blue" drop.

Now, this also means that if a mob auto-drops blues, it's going to usually have orange items on it's charts as well in some form. Of course, the ones that do are usually pretty tough customers, but it can be handy to go back a planet or so and rip up some Boss for interesting bits, if you can.

The problem with the orange quality gear is that, it is very, VERY difficult to keep the mods on it, up to date, the amount of commendations you get, don't even give you enough to update your own orange gear, which means, you are forced to either gimp yourself or your companion.

Hence why i avoid orange quality gear, the orange quality weapon is enough, sometimes you can't even keep your weapon and your companions' weapon(s) updated, such a pity really.

Are security keys still available? If so can, I still get the slave girl garments at a security key vendor? :D

Security keys are available. The 'dancer' outfits from the security vendors are a bit different than the slave girl outfit. But if your goal is to dress up your character or your companion like a prostitute, they work equally well.

Orange gear (other than the slave girl outfit) is available from other Social vendors. I think they are rewards from some, if not all, of the Bonus Series on each planet.

The problem with the orange quality gear is that, it is very, VERY difficult to keep the mods on it, up to date, the amount of commendations you get, don't even give you enough to update your own orange gear, which means, you are forced to either gimp yourself or your companion.

Hence why i avoid orange quality gear, the orange quality weapon is enough, sometimes you can't even keep your weapon and your companions' weapon(s) updated, such a pity really.

I don't find this to be true at all. Just remember that the green mods that a world's Mods vendor sells are the appropriate mods for that world, while the blue mods that the Commendation Mods vendor sells are the appropriate mods for the next world.

I'm a Jedi and I have 5 orange armor pieces, plus my orange lightsaber. I've got my favorite companion Kira kitted out with an orange double blade and the 5 piece orange Slave Girl outfit (yeah, I know, I'm a pervo).

Whenever I land on a new world I find the mods vendor and kit out Kira with fresh green Armorings & Hilt. By the time I've finished my class quest, all the side quests I can find, the Bonus Series and the Heroic quests then I find I have no problems buying myself new blue Armorings, Mods, Enhancements and a Hilt. Then it's on to the next world.

By keeping up this pattern I find that Kirs's gear is always at least as good as the Kira-specific quest rewards, and my gear is always better than the quest rewards. Since I don't need the quest rewards then I just take the offered Commendation unless the quest reward is actually a blue Mod, Enhancement, Armoring or Hilt (which it often is).

And since I don't waste money in the GTM trying to buy mods or crafting mats to craft mods, then I can trippel gather, sell everything I find, and I always have plenty of credits to buy Kira her new green mods on the next world.

Seriously, guys, the game's easy if you know how to play.

Orange legs can be found as a quest reward for completing the Balmorra Bonus Quests.

2 questions: 1)do these have a Social Rank restriction? 2) what are these "bonus quests" people talk about? Are those just the extra quest objective some quests give? I've only completed tython and Coruscant, and still working my way through Taris so maybe I just haven't found the planets that award bonus quests yet.

I've been going nuts trying to find some orange pants that don't have a social rank (still too low a social rank level) but I truly hate the "lower robes" Consulars are stuck with.

Once you finish your calss quste line on a world, as you're heading to the spaceport, you'll see a quest giver in the spaceport. He gives you the first quest in that world's Bonus Quest series.

FYI Not all bonus quests start at the space port. Some planets require you to come back later when you have leveled up more or have completed another planet. The Imperial Alderaan bonus starts on Fleet.

Edited by Owsley