Official Outage Timing Wrong

Lakhesis

2AM Central is now 5pm AEST.

AEDT (australian eastern daylight time) goes to AEST (australian eastern standard time) between april & october.

When y'all had the swap in american daylight savings a couple of weeks ago, it went to 6pm.

When we had daylight savings end (if you're in a state that has it anyway), it went to 5pm AEST.

I figure being out by 2 hours is significant enough that community support might want to correct it for future weeks.

This means it ends at 10pm AEST btw.

Edited by Lakhesis

I just wish there was a standard that everyone everywhere used. But no, there's GMT's, UTM's, STD's, etc.

Yeah, it can be a serious headache if you travel or interact with folk from other timezones.

I raid in another game with an american timezone group & so long ago I gave up on the +/- GMT calculations and now I just keep track of when 8pm central is and adjust from there =)

Edited by Lakhesis

Yeah, it can be a serious headache if you travel or interact with folk from other timezones.

I raid in another game with an american timezone group & so long ago I gave up on the +/- GMT calculations and now I just keep track of when 8pm central is and adjust from there =)

heh. thankfully my guild has a few international players so they usually state the GMT aswell lately. you have to teach your folks! ;D

Hey thank you for letting us know! This has now been corrected. Apologies for the confusion, but with all of the recent time adjustments, there was a risk in making a mistake >.<

Thanks again, and enjoy your day!

I love Gonzalez! He even made a >.< smilie to us!

I just wish there was a standard that everyone everywhere used. But no, there's GMT's, UTM's, STD's, etc.

Actually GMT is fixed it never changes the UK switch to BST ( brittish summer time) wich is gmt +1.

Its a common mistake to assume UK/England are always fixed to the GMT and the time in london is equal to the GMT

For most ppl using GMT should be good enough (if they know it doesnt change) as they can add the local change

while we are on the topic you guys should fix the dates also:

for example the pvp test event on the PTS was announced as :

On 3/31 from 1PM CDT (11AM PDT/ 2PM EDT/ 7PM GMT/ 8PM CEST/ 12AM AEDT) until 3PM CDT (1PM PDT/ 4PM EDT/ 9PM GMT/ 10PM CEST/ 2AM AEDT),

obviously the zone where it ends at 2 am is not on the same day :p can get quite confusing if u look at the date from the title and the time in the brackets you are interested in.

Edited by TheTitan_KoS

Well ther is one in fact. The standard has always been GMT (Greenwich Meridian Time), with every other region being GMT+1, GMT+2... GMT+-12 to the east and GMT-1, GMT-2... GMT+-12 to the west.

GMT is the time used, for example, in army comunications so that world location renders local time differences between the emitter and the receiver irrelevant. We have all heard it on movies as Zulu Time (sorry if spelling is wrong).

The use of all the other accronims is for "local" broadcasting quality-of-life and readability when your time zones are GMT-5, GMT-6, GMT-7 and GMT-8 as I believe happens in the USA.

Edited by Urkanan

I didn't realize GMT was unchanging. As stated, I too thought that London was always on GMT.

And to verify, yes, New York is GMT-5.

So basically we could always refer to times as GMT and do the math for local time. I like that. Devs could just state GMT and then put a link to a conversion page in their sig or something -- then again, we Americans don't like to do a lot of work if we can get someone else to do it for us :D

-- it was a joke! relax