I Hate Mako....

AhsokaTanorules

Kind of a nod to the I Hate Kaliyo Post but...

Yea. This character seems just about as OOC with the BH as Kaliyo is to the IA. I would definitely want these two to switch classes. MY BH would totally romance Kaliyo while my IA who I rp as resourceful would see Mako as an asset.

Mako is too much of a pacifist. You are expected to kill a lot of people early in the game, particularly with the Great Hunt tournament and she is pretty much preaching that we shouldn't hurt anyone. She is kind of whiiny too (the Meg Griffin of SWTor)) and I think my BH, the way I rp him, might have even killed her by now. You would expect an orphan like her who grew up rough with hunters would have more of an attitude. Even Kira Carsen for the JK is more tough and attitudinal.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mako has a problem with cruelty, bullying, and UNECESSARY killing... She's no pacifist but she is definitely a lightside alignment character. Worked out fine for my Powertech who was also lightside. ;)

My merc is a professional, honorable, and all around pretty decent guy so Mako absolutely loves me. :cool:

So yea, she is definitely LS aligned so DS bounty hunters won't like her very much.

What I have noticed so far (my merc is lvl 29) is that Mako has a bit of vicious streak in her, at least when it comes to things regarding Tarro. So she isn't a complete goody-goody, compared to someone like Vette anyway. :rolleyes:

My merc is a professional, honorable, and all around pretty decent guy so Mako absolutely loves me. :cool:

So yea, she is definitely LS aligned so DS bounty hunters won't like her very much.

What I have noticed so far (my merc is lvl 29) is that Mako has a bit of vicious streak in her, at least when it comes to things regarding Tarro. So she isn't a complete goody-goody, compared to someone like Vette anyway. :rolleyes:

I've finished all of Vette's story as a Sith Warrior... she has a dark streak too. Not much of one, but one that you can definitely provoke her into expressing later on.

I think Mako is a great addition the the BH's companions. Sure she doesn't like unnececarly killing She doesn't mind if you kill who you have too but if you don't have to kill them she dosen't like it. Example a person helps you but they could tell someone about your mission kill them (it was unnececary instead of telling them not to talk)

I hate Mako just as much as you do, but I think she fits extremely well with the BH. She's always surfing the holonet from her implant to tell you all the latest targets. And any time you say any response even remotely along the lines of "what's in it for me" or wanting more money for taking out a target she'll give +affection.

Also,

Some of her companion quests later on are hilarious, like when she says that there's a fan site for the BH and checks in occasionally to ruin the hopes and dreams of the fangirls

All in all, I thought she fit very well as a companion and as a romance. Even though I hated everything about her.

My biggest problem with Mako is that she comes off as though she's about 12. She's cute and sweet. But between the type one body type and endless fan girling, I feel like I have a teeny bopper as my side kick.

Now I'm playing female, so the romance itself doesn't squick me out. (Although I suspect it would - highly - if I were playing a male BH.) But...it's hard for me to see this squeeling teenager working at all with my tough, brutal mercenary.

My biggest problem with Mako is that she comes off as though she's about 12. She's cute and sweet. But between the type one body type and endless fan girling, I feel like I have a teeny bopper as my side kick.

Now I'm playing female, so the romance itself doesn't squick me out. (Although I suspect it would - highly - if I were playing a male BH.) But...it's hard for me to see this squeeling teenager working at all with my tough, brutal mercenary.

I don't know, I never got the "fangirl" vibe from her. Is she young and somewhat naive? Definitely. But she always comes off (to me) as very business-like.

I don't know, I never got the "fangirl" vibe from her. Is she young and somewhat naive? Definitely. But she always comes off (to me) as very business-like.

Mako is a sweetheart who loves her close friends as family. Braden and Jory were her family, and after their deaths, she transfers her attachment to the Hunter. She starts off as businesslike, with a lightsided streak to her. She doesn't like random cruelty, or cruelty to those who don't deserve it. She also has a bit of a mean streak when it comes to those who mess with her family. The more she likes you, the more she opens up. Also, she's not quite as naive as you might think. She only seems that way at first. Not on the same kink scale as Vette, though. lol

Mako love the mandalorian attitude. That's why she like Torian so much, and she is almost a fangirl of mandalore.

If you target a weak prey, she will disapprove, but if you follow the mandalorian code (for example kill the rodian on tatoine because he left the big hunt for money), she'll be happy.

She is quite LS, but not so much either. I though at first she was some kind of pacifist, and I was disappointed, but I understood later she was just a mandalorian at heart.

Also, she have a high sense of family/clan. She will be happy by any decision involving protecting/avenging your crew, even if it's DS.

Also, she's not quite as naive as you might think. She only seems that way at first. Not on the same kink scale as Vette, though. lol

She's not entirely naive, no. But having gone hard core dark side, she feels like this little puppy tagging at my heels, loving me despite that my character is pretty freaking evil. It comes off as weird, childish, and naive. (Which, again, tied to that tiny little body - the only character that I think seems at all mature with it is Kaliyo, and that's mostly because she's *definitely* not a kid, so I an overlook that she's like 4 ft. tall and weighs 60 lbs.)

It's the problem that most classes have, really. If most of your companions are good, and you're evil, you wonder what they're thinking. (As honestly, they should be screaming at you and ditching you, rather than giggling and explaining how you're the most awesome partner ever - which Mako does a lot of. It's like, "Oh, hai, I just killed someone begging to surrender and you were all angry. But ten seconds later, you were telling that lady that I'm the best partner ever and that you looooove me.")

I wish that the game was willing to let your partners really go after you if you were a jerk. For instance

I endlessly respected Zenith when my JC was a jerk to him and he gave it back to her just as good as she gave it. Come to think of it, much as I mostly dislike JC, my companions so far have been pretty good about acting surly when I've abused them, which is a nice change from some classes...

But most companions seem so into you no matter what your character is like. In some cases, it makes some sense. But an awful lot of the time, I'm like, "Really? If I was Mako (or Vette), I would have ditched this evil lady as soon as I got the chance." (Or possibly killed her in her sleep - actually, I'm pretty sure my SW encouraged Vette to do just that.)

(The only real exception I've seen so far is Corso, who seems to have decided he's in love with the smuggler to the extent that he completely ignores that she's a money grubbing monster who is more than happy to kill puppies if it'll earn her a few credits.) But honestly, most of the time, the deliberate overlooking of evil PC behavior comes off as mildly psychotic on the part of the crew members.

She's not entirely naive, no. But having gone hard core dark side, she feels like this little puppy tagging at my heels, loving me despite that my character is pretty freaking evil. It comes off as weird, childish, and naive. (Which, again, tied to that tiny little body - the only character that I think seems at all mature with it is Kaliyo, and that's mostly because she's *definitely* not a kid, so I an overlook that she's like 4 ft. tall and weighs 60 lbs.)

It's the problem that most classes have, really. If most of your companions are good, and you're evil, you wonder what they're thinking. (As honestly, they should be screaming at you and ditching you, rather than giggling and explaining how you're the most awesome partner ever - which Mako does a lot of. It's like, "Oh, hai, I just killed someone begging to surrender and you were all angry. But ten seconds later, you were telling that lady that I'm the best partner ever and that you looooove me.")

I wish that the game was willing to let your partners really go after you if you were a jerk. For instance

I endlessly respected Zenith when my JC was a jerk to him and he gave it back to her just as good as she gave it. Come to think of it, much as I mostly dislike JC, my companions so far have been pretty good about acting surly when I've abused them, which is a nice change from some classes...

But most companions seem so into you no matter what your character is like. In some cases, it makes some sense. But an awful lot of the time, I'm like, "Really? If I was Mako (or Vette), I would have ditched this evil lady as soon as I got the chance." (Or possibly killed her in her sleep - actually, I'm pretty sure my SW encouraged Vette to do just that.)

(The only real exception I've seen so far is Corso, who seems to have decided he's in love with the smuggler to the extent that he completely ignores that she's a money grubbing monster who is more than happy to kill puppies if it'll earn her a few credits.) But honestly, most of the time, the deliberate overlooking of evil PC behavior comes off as mildly psychotic on the part of the crew members.

I think the main problem there is the writing. From what I've seen so far, the Bounty Hunter isn't supposed to be full on Dark Sided. He's a professional. Bring them back alive if possible, quick and painless death if not. I run my Merc off the philosophy of "WWFD?" and it works well. So far, I'm barely Light I, and that was because my finger slipped during a FP run. :p

She is what she is. Boring, codependent, whiny. But useful.

It's kind of baffling to me how boring I find her when her character could be very interesting. She's had a rough life and ...interesting origins. But it's like the writers went to such lengths that she'd be angst-free and non-intimidating (the anti-Kaliyo, if you will), that she's colorless.

I think the main problem there is the writing. From what I've seen so far, the Bounty Hunter isn't supposed to be full on Dark Sided. He's a professional. Bring them back alive if possible, quick and painless death if not. I run my Merc off the philosophy of "WWFD?" and it works well. So far, I'm barely Light I, and that was because my finger slipped during a FP run.

Yeah, there's a few companions where this is a problem - namely that the companion makes sense for one alignment, but they made a free choice to associate with your character, so when your alignments don't mesh you have no idea why they don't choose to leave (and further) you choose to keep them around.

Having the companion stories expanded a bit would be great. So for the LS BH you'd have the current Mako relationship of partnership and friendship/romance, while a DS BH might be forcing Mako to work for him due to her usefulness, or keeping her close since she has some nasty secrets on them, and the dynamic would be of tension and (likely) abuse.

Edited by Pubsam

My hunter is lightside two. But my sith ain't. Vette does not like me as much as Jaesa wilsaam does.

She is what she is. Boring, codependent, whiny. But useful.

It's kind of baffling to me how boring I find her when her character could be very interesting. She's had a rough life and ...interesting origins. But it's like the writers went to such lengths that she'd be angst-free and non-intimidating (the anti-Kaliyo, if you will), that she's colorless.

Yeah, I agree. I'd love to see her do *something* with that whole past. But nope. She's still all cutesy. It feels like she was tailor made to cater to all the guys who loved Tali and wanted a version of her that was younger and more docile.

I think the difference between Mako and Kaliyo is that Mako can suit some BHs, professional ones who don't kill for pleasure but necessity (which the Bounty Hunter Code says you should), whereas Kaliyo doesn't really work with the Imperial Agent because the Imp. Agent is supposed to be a professional regardless of your alignment and Kaliyo is just an obstructive, chaotic element. Kaliyo would probably suit a Bounty Hunter a lot more, but I wouldn't replace Mako.

I'd gladly replace Torian with Kaliyo though. At least Kaliyo has a sense of humor and says something interesting once in a while...

I think the difference between Mako and Kaliyo is that Mako can suit some BHs, professional ones who don't kill for pleasure but necessity (which the Bounty Hunter Code says you should), whereas Kaliyo doesn't really work with the Imperial Agent because the Imp. Agent is supposed to be a professional regardless of your alignment and Kaliyo is just an obstructive, chaotic element. Kaliyo would probably suit a Bounty Hunter a lot more, but I wouldn't replace Mako.

I'd gladly replace Torian with Kaliyo though. At least Kaliyo has a sense of humor and says something interesting once in a while...

There is 2 basic way to build a BH IMO. You can be a mandalorian (more LS) or a thug/assassin (DS).

Torian/mako are the mandalorian companion. While skadge/gault are the thug companions. Blizz, is too cute to take a side and everyone loves him.

For the IA, Lokin/Temple are for the patriot AI, while Kalyio/SCORPIO are for the "opportunist" agent . Vector is for the pure LS idealist agent.

As a rogue agent you are not professional at all. You can completely screw the empire for your own profit. Being an agent is a way to have access to a lot of stuff/money and nobody mess with you except the Siths. The same way Tano Vik is in the military, to have a lot of stuff to blow, and be paid for that.

They makes sense in the crew they are in. Remove Torian for Kalyio, and I will be pissed of as a BH. And Torian have absolutely no room in the Agent crew. He have his rules, and the agent have others rules. He seek worthy prey for a great fight, while the agent is all about deception and cunning (there is nothing worthy in it).

For my LS agent, Kalyio is quite crazy, but I'm attached to her, in the end. She have crazy way to show she likes me, but you can count on her in the end. While for example SCORPIO want to kill you, from the beginning to the end.

I think I would swap Gault for Akaavi and vice versa, but it would make 2 mandalorians for the BH. Still, it would make more sense for both crew.

Besides for the fact that she can gather details on your next target, I find her to be like a little girl who is friends with a killing machine (I say this because I based my BH on Predators {The aliens}) I don't care much for Mako; considering how the story goes in the beginning, I feel like I'm almost forced to babysit her.