Replay story arc.

ChrisRedmond

Anyone else like the idea of replaying the class story in the same manner as replaying KotFE and KotET? I hate making a new character just to replay a class story. Most of them are pretty awesome.

Meh. Really. I'm totally indifferent to the idea. But then again, I like creating characters. The only games where I've stayed any length of time and not created dozen of characters were:

* Dofus: the default limit is five across all servers and it doesn't have enough story that I could justify it.

* The Secret World: the default limit is three across all servers and that gives you one per faction, and it's not cheap to create additional slots.

* Runes of Magic: the experience progression curve is actively hostile to having multiple characters.

But the big thing about class story replays is the same thing that eventually (like, before you even leave Istan) makes replaying the Chabek Village mission in Guild Wars: Nightfall seriously boring. A mission in Guild Wars 1 is approximately the equivalent of a class story chapter final boss sub-mission in SWTOR, and Chabek Village is the very first one you encounter, almost immediately after you begin the Nightfall campaign with a new character, so you are normally only level 3-4. When you come back to replay it at level 20 (max level in GW1), about the only way to get hurt is if you trip over an NPC's corpse.

Level Sync does not suffice to make that less impactful. GW2 level scaling does not prevent an Exotic-wearing, Ascended-wielding level 80 character from sleepwalking through low-level content.(1) (GW2 has had the equivalent of the upcoming Master's Datacron since before the Heart of Thorns expansion, and that allows you to do the "base game" personal story at level 80. The final mission, Victory or Death, was meant for level 80 anyway, but the very first part is scaled to 10, and level 80s crush it.)

Hmm. Conclusion: I'm actually somewhat opposed to this, mitigated by a certain dose of "well, if you don't care about that, OK, I guess."

(1) World Bosses are another matter. Even the strongest of SWTOR world bosses isn't strong enough to count as a hopelessly pathetic wuss compared to Tequatl the Sunless or The Shatterer. Heck, even the Behemoth in the swamp in Queensdale (human Noob Island zone) makes most SWTOR world bosses look like pushovers.

Yes, definitely! We need 1-50 Veteran / Master version. Or some kind of replay.

But we will get it. Some year or two from now. Once they see the sterling reception of WoW classic server(like it was with EQ Progression / Time Locked servers etc)...they'll copy that right over. Just like they are doing with Master's Datacron. Just like they did with a LOT of things.

Meh. Really. I'm totally indifferent to the idea. But then again, I like creating characters. The only games where I've stayed any length of time and not created dozen of characters were:

* Dofus: the default limit is five across all servers and it doesn't have enough story that I could justify it.

* The Secret World: the default limit is three across all servers and that gives you one per faction, and it's not cheap to create additional slots.

* Runes of Magic: the experience progression curve is actively hostile to having multiple characters.

But the big thing about class story replays is the same thing that eventually (like, before you even leave Istan) makes replaying the Chabek Village mission in Guild Wars: Nightfall seriously boring. A mission in Guild Wars 1 is approximately the equivalent of a class story chapter final boss sub-mission in SWTOR, and Chabek Village is the very first one you encounter, almost immediately after you begin the Nightfall campaign with a new character, so you are normally only level 3-4. When you come back to replay it at level 20 (max level in GW1), about the only way to get hurt is if you trip over an NPC's corpse.

Level Sync does not suffice to make that less impactful. GW2 level scaling does not prevent an Exotic-wearing, Ascended-wielding level 80 character from sleepwalking through low-level content.(1) (GW2 has had the equivalent of the upcoming Master's Datacron since before the Heart of Thorns expansion, and that allows you to do the "base game" personal story at level 80. The final mission, Victory or Death, was meant for level 80 anyway, but the very first part is scaled to 10, and level 80s crush it.)

Hmm. Conclusion: I'm actually somewhat opposed to this, mitigated by a certain dose of "well, if you don't care about that, OK, I guess."

(1) World Bosses are another matter. Even the strongest of SWTOR world bosses isn't strong enough to count as a hopelessly pathetic wuss compared to Tequatl the Sunless or The Shatterer. Heck, even the Behemoth in the swamp in Queensdale (human Noob Island zone) makes most SWTOR world bosses look like pushovers.

Ever heard about a thing called "HARD MODE"? Where every enemy became lvl 28(iirc).

Oh, Chabek is not so easy anymore ;)

Ever heard about a thing called "HARD MODE"? Where every enemy became lvl 28(iirc).

Oh, Chabek is not so easy anymore ;)

I came to GW1 a bit late, and I never actually finished Nightfall to activate Hard Mode there (but I did finish GW:EN and Factions). But that would be replay in harder difficulties. Replay in baseline difficulty would go exactly as I described it.

Being the alt whore I am, I don't mind playing the main stories again with a new toon. In fact, I wind up deleting some characters because I like the new ones I made more. I usually decide by level 50 if I am going to keep a character or not. For me the choices I make play a big part. With male characters my romance choices with who and why impact me greatly, with female characters there are so few romance options I like, I generally go either Theron or Lana. For some reason I am that weird person that likes making new characters and getting invested in them. As for taking the older characters through the story again, I m not sure i would do it with some classes. I had real issues with how the trooper plays combat wise and the story for the Jedi Consular after chapter one was very blah for me.

While I would like that I think it would even be better if we could change our decisions and not have it locked the first time. I guess they want us to have many different characters but this would allow us to reshape our character without having to give up all time and effort invested in this character.

I was just about to start a thread asking this question when I thought to myself: "there just HAS to be one already" took me a bit of sifting to find but here it is! I can't for the life of me understand why they haven't done this yet. The ability is there. It's on KOTFE/ET already. I get what some of the other posters are saying about it "being too easy" once lvl.50-70 but who really plays the class STORY for it's difficulty anyway besides a new player (who obviously isn't restarting ANYTHING)? It's the story. I personally wouldn't go back to try and change decisions necessarily but even if you did again what difference would it make ultimately?

Likely none. Some of the class stories I enjoyed tremendously and it's kinda sad to never be able to see some of those cutscenes again. Others were meh and felt grindish so I wouldn't. Now that there's the "Master Datacron" the devs realize there is value in class story with or without the difficulty of gear. So give me that pink (LAUNCH) button for class stories! :D

I was just about to start a thread asking this question when I thought to myself: "there just HAS to be one already" took me a bit of sifting to find but here it is! I can't for the life of me understand why they haven't done this yet. The ability is there. It's on KOTFE/ET already. I get what some of the other posters are saying about it "being too easy" once lvl.50-70 but who really plays the class STORY for it's difficulty anyway besides a new player (who obviously isn't restarting ANYTHING)? It's the story. I personally wouldn't go back to try and change decisions necessarily but even if you did again what difference would it make ultimately?

Likely none. Some of the class stories I enjoyed tremendously and it's kinda sad to never be able to see some of those cutscenes again. Others were meh and felt grindish so I wouldn't. Now that there's the "Master Datacron" the devs realize there is value in class story with or without the difficulty of gear. So give me that pink (LAUNCH) button for class stories! :D

On the question of "baseline" difficulty. Out of curiosity (what gear does it actually give you?) I sprung for a Master's Datacron. I've been playing since 2013, so I think I can justify satisfying my curiosity without adding to the ranks of the inept 70s.

(The answer to my curiosity is: it gives you a full set of Purple 230 T1 gear. I don't remember (because I was dumb and didn't look) which relic types you get, nor if the gear has the set bonus.)

And yes, it does become ridiculous running around Hutta when you are already level 70 and have T1 end-game gear.

And there is part of the problem. There is plenty of stuff that requires you to run around the open (non-instanced) world while doing parts of your class story. Unless they have a special play instance (akin to PvP / PvE) specifically for people replaying in Veteran or Master difficulty, those parts will not be scalable for difficulty. (Of course it's possible. I mention it to show the sort of additional things they would have to do to make the idea work.)

• 2 years later...

I would like that too. There are some choices, that i would change, and try out for some characters. Also i hate to see all the sidequests i already done on my other characters. Currently doing my final 2 class story. I climbed both to lvl52 so i can focus entirely on main quest only without the need for leveling, or new gear.

Even if we could just reset main content entirely. With a lvl75 full geared character you can go through the story quickly, and easily. And with all sidequests already done you aren't bothered by those either. I would give 2 option for start. On character select you could reset main content, and during planet travel you could reset planetary content. Sidequests, and local story. Both would require to complete the class quest first.

Anyone else like the idea of replaying the class story in the same manner as replaying KotFE and KotET? I hate making a new character just to replay a class story. Most of them are pretty awesome.

GOD PLEASE I NEED THIS IN MY SWTOR LIFE!!!! PEEEAAASSSEEE SWTOR team!! :eek:

Ehem sorry about that, so err....YES, I would actually enjoy this very much too! God I hope they really consider implementing this at some point in the future! :D

Maybe even expand on it, like an Inquisitor or other classes interacting or playing through other Jobs stories...but from the perspective of the PC's Class you currently are in.

Ooooo I love for my Inquisitor to meet Darth Jadus!! or Wrath interacting with the Dark Council Arc and Darh Thanaton! Even a cross faction story swap would be interesting and awesome! if only *The world between worlds" existed in this era... it be a great way to have players jump to any story across time and we had an unlimited potential in story telling maybe even meeting Vader or Skywalker...face Abaloth, The Ones, The Wills, be at Zakuul and save Vaylin or Thexan! If anything it be a nice interface for unlimited chapters! Ahhh one can only dream...lol

Edited by Zehal

I'm replaying the character stories with new characters but using the other subclass. This allows me to enjoy the game using new abilities. I'll also occasionally choose different conversation choices than I did before. My new Trooper and Smuggler are more open to Dark choices, but I still haven't the heart for my Knight and Consular to choose a Dark option. I will allow for a Neutral one when a Light was available. When all are Neutral I can choose a more sarcastic or joking option. My original Dark characters were anti-heroes choosing many Light options along with Dark. My new Dark characters will be more Dark.

I'm also doing a few flashpoints I skipped mainly because I didn't understand what they were the first time playing as I was new to SWTOR, and I wanted to finish the story. Now I can take my time and play a few scenarios I hadn't before to have some new content so as not to be bored.

As far as making Veteran/Master Modes, I feel that I already DID that by having completed class-line stories back before they level-synced the planets. For instance, I would NOT look forward to having to fight Thanaton again in Master mode, I feel I've already DONE that....;) Although, I DO enjoy the cut-scenes in the class line.

What I'd like is if they revisited some of the old flashpoints and put in a story mode for them. Such as Athiss.:D I used to enjoy doing these before they put them behind the "multi-player" wall by making them all Veteran content.

My new Trooper is hostile to Aric. He didn't throw him under the bus in the Senate inquiry but otherwise they're insulting each other. It feels weird when my first Trooper and him are best buds. I'm thinking they'll patch things up when my Trooper makes him his 1st officer. Don't have to like the guy to know he's best suited for the position.