Saber based combat build?

SootyTX

This might sound like an odd question but....

I'm looking for some advice on building a saber-based shadow that uses as few other attack abilities as possible. I'm just returning after a year off and looking for ways to keep my interest going as I level other advanced classes to 55 (have Knights and Troopers done already). Consular is my current target so I'm going to be leveling a shadow and a sage - sage will be TK, after watching a guildie have a ton of fun with it on raids before I stopped playing.

But Shadow I'm struggling with - really don't want another Force based one so I'm looking at Infil and Kinetics, or maybe a hybrid. This is purely for PvE and not for raiding anything higher than SM when I get to that stage.

Many thanks in advance!

This might sound like an odd question but....

I'm looking for some advice on building a saber-based shadow that uses as few other attack abilities as possible. I'm just returning after a year off and looking for ways to keep my interest going as I level other advanced classes to 55 (have Knights and Troopers done already). Consular is my current target so I'm going to be leveling a shadow and a sage - sage will be TK, after watching a guildie have a ton of fun with it on raids before I stopped playing.

But Shadow I'm struggling with - really don't want another Force based one so I'm looking at Infil and Kinetics, or maybe a hybrid. This is purely for PvE and not for raiding anything higher than SM when I get to that stage.

Many thanks in advance!

mm well I can tell you this:

1. Balance as weapon abilities uses: spinning strike (cool), double strike (spamable) , other skills are all force abilities..

2. Infiltration: Clayrvoiant strike (spam, very cool), Spinning Strike, Shadow Strike (the classic backstab) and Low slash (it's a knockback,.you wont use it to minmax dps but..for SM..) (not so cool but it procs the shadow strike's proc to use it) other skills are all force etc (but u have project that it's cool to see)

3. Kinetic: double strike, shadow strike

If I get right, (counting hybrids) Infiltration is the way for your goal. Don't expect high numbers..(but high burst for sure)

Also infiltration can use spinning kick as opener if you want (it's rly cool) but it's not optimal..but again...for SM..;)

it's up to you!

Don't get your hopes too high for having a melee feel from a Shadow.

But I recommend Balance. Don't be misled by the skill tree, in the end of the day, it is the one which use the most melee hits, and is the most choreographed/aesthetic in my opinion. (Widest variety of melee hits usable, Force powers not very flashy and mostly occasional even if various...)

Deception may look like being "the melee spec" but it is an illusion.

The number of Force moves is lower, but the use is more extensive.

In addition, the melee aspect is disatisfying in my opinion. When it's not using sporadically an overly simplistic move, it is using Clairvoyant Strike. Some would praise Clairvoyant Strike as being THE melee move... But I LOATHE it :

- Firstly, it gives a "the Force again" feel as it is not performed with the body (it's a saber throw)

- Secondly, the move itself seems off, (the catch of the weapon is normally incompatible with the wielder's position)

- Thirdly, the animation looks illogical towards the mechanism (gives the feel of a ranged attack, but is not one)

- Fourthly, the animation displays a recycled move (double strike with a placeholder looking effect to replace the saber)

- Fifthly, spamming saber throws looks lame, IMO.

Edited by Altheran

Thanks for the input guys.

Yeah, the aethetics is what really matters to me at this point. After multiple 55s, I'm looking for ways to build something a bit more immersive. Quite happy with it being sub-optimal in build terms as I know I can maximise within that.

I'll take a close look at balance, as that had initially been completely off my radar. Still leaning toward infil, I just wish it wasn't a 'back-stab' type vibe to it, I've never really liked that feel. My mains have always been in-your-face type tanks or heavy melee.

And yes, I know I'm being really picky :)

Thanks again.

Edited by SootyTX