Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Juggernaut or Marauder

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Juggernaut or Marauder

yodajinn
05.17.2012 , 06:01 AM | #1
Looking at the skill trees for the advanced classes marauder is all about damage but it seems a juggernaut can inflict more damage and have better armour
Which one deals more damage and which skill tree would be better

rasputein
05.17.2012 , 10:08 AM | #2
Marauder will deal more damage but imho a jugg is better for the team, the tools a jugg has> damage a marauder has imo.

Pouty
05.17.2012 , 12:11 PM | #3
It really depends on a lot of factors. Do you enjoy survivability, do you want to pve, pvp, both? Do you want to be able to back up tank if needed? Do you prefer heavy over medium armor? The dps argument is highly debatable and anyone that says that one flat down is better than the other is just being extremly subjective and probably demonstrating some confirmation bias in their opinions. Be a little more specific, give us some detail.

I've played both to 50 and happy to provide a better answer based on what you want.
Pouty. Fits. Period.

GregMD
05.17.2012 , 01:56 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by rasputein View Post
Marauder will deal more damage but imho a jugg is better for the team, the tools a jugg has> damage a marauder has imo.
Yeah and shadows and PTs do everything a jugg does but better, only advantage juggs have over them is force leap -> force push -> force leap in huttball.

i_am_sancho
05.17.2012 , 06:24 PM | #5
If you're just going to do damage, choose Marauder. If you want a bit of survivability and flexibility as well, choose Jugg.
Basically, Juggernauts have the capability to only do damage (Vengeance & Focus specs) or be a tank (Immortal). Within that, Focus and Vengeance specs can also use Soresu Form (tank form) and gain the 60% armor bonus and the ability to guard, effectively making them mini off-tanks in a way. Plus, being able to guard opens you up to 4 extra warzone medals.

yodajinn
05.18.2012 , 02:29 AM | #6
I will start with PVE as well as do some flashpoints then do some PVP later. I don't want to have any troubles defeating bosses in the game. Is a tank better for this or a DPS. Keep in mind this is my first MMO and second toon. My first toon I was a DPS. I have heard that a tank is harder to play and not good for noobs

Pouty
05.18.2012 , 11:02 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by yodajinn View Post
I will start with PVE as well as do some flashpoints then do some PVP later. I don't want to have any troubles defeating bosses in the game. Is a tank better for this or a DPS. Keep in mind this is my first MMO and second toon. My first toon I was a DPS. I have heard that a tank is harder to play and not good for noobs
Tanks will kill slower, but have a much easier time doing it generally. You'll get flashpoint groups a lot easier, but keep in mind being a good tank isn't just rolling a tank class and smashing buttons. It's harder to play in flashpoints yes if you aren't an experienced MMO'er, but in questing it's fine.
Pouty. Fits. Period.

NasherUK
05.20.2012 , 06:14 AM | #8
In Ops jugg has the advantage of being able to tank for a while (even in DPS gear) if something happens to the main tank, which can save you from a wipe. It also means you can often get away with just 1 tank on bosses that normaly need 2, because a DPS jugg can do the job if their gear is good enough or they use tank gear with a DPS build (my guild does this).

So basically the jugg is more versatile, at the cost of some personal DPS. But if you use the method I mentioned above, your ops will do more dps as a whole.