In defense of Malavi Quinn *Spoilers*

collapsed

We always hear from the angry masses who hate Quinn. I for one think Quinn is a great companion. He is professional, he serves your interests well and has enough spine to (tactfully) tell you when you are messing up. He is pretty much the ultimate assistant.

Then, he betrays you to Baras...ugh...:mad:

But remember, for all of Quinn's professionalism, he is still just a human. Darth Baras is an extremely crafty and powerful Dark Lord! You know, the kind of sith who excels at controlling and manipulating those around him. He's the kind of sith who gets inside someone's head and makes them believe the choices he is making for them are their own.

So, you all hate Quinn for being manipulated and coerced by the same Dark Lord that MANIPULATED YOU for 3/4 of your story? The same guy who had you running around the galaxy doing his dirty work, while all the while having you convinced that you were his most trusted apprentice before he tried to have you killed? :rolleyes:

That said, I understand why everyone is mad about the way Quinn turns on you...but I still like him and value him as a companion. If you still support Quinn, post here!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is, I knew from the 1st time I met him, that I'd end up clashing with Baras later on. He's a dark lord and been around a while; what happened to his previous apprentice, that makes him want to start anew with a random sithling with his nose still wet? The impression that you're going to have a conflict with him only gets reinforced during the first story arc. Like, when everyone on your side that you kill says "poor sith, Baras will betray you too".

Quinn on the other hand, is like the ultimate empire supporter, yet he betrays you for Baras, who claims to be the Voice. Thing is, he knows that Baras is lying and that he is, in fact, not the Voice: you just killed the real Voice on Voss at that point, and you serve the Emperor directly. It couldn't get more Empire supporting than that, really. Then he goes around and says that the Emperor is distant and that Baras is a patriot - like if we were not going to fix this mess because the Emperor directly took interest in Baras treachery (proving Quinn's pov ultimately false).

Edited by Vetril

Well i see it as this, Quinn is just doing his job...if he didn't he would be killed by him.

Do you really think he could say no to Darth Baras? When you first meet Quinn, Darth Baras says that he placed Quinn so he owns him.

Sucks i know, but thats how it is in the Sith Empire, almost evryone is power hungry....

And since Quinn is agent, if you rolled agent you would see its not good to say NO to a Darth, on my agent i didn't want to kneel to Darth Jadus and he "killed" me...from that point on my sniper i left Sith alone and do what they wanted and just watched them how they killed/choked and didn't even think about trying to help.

Edited by Sevonn

I don't understand all the people complaining that he's the only rom option, last I heard Pierce was DS romance option.

Plus Quinn is too cute, maybe a little insecure but that comes with the territory he's been in. Haven't gotten to the big B yet but I'm fairly sure I'll keep loving Quinn almost as much as I love Corso. Because **** yeah, CORSO RIGGS~!

People do not hate Quinn (well, I do but not for betraying alone). What people do hate is inability to punish a betrayer accordingly. You can not kill him, you can not give him a shock collar - nothing. For the game where "YOU make a choice and it matters!" it's pretty much choice-less.

As for hatred toward Quinn's personality - I confess, I have it. Not only this definition of nazy-officer with his sleeky voice makes me sick but he is whiny like a spoiled baby. He complains about every companion on board, almost every NPC we meet, his formal superiors and every planet we visit. God, what a creep!

P.S. And Pierce is not really romancable - just once scene, that's it.

Edited by Mirandel

The thing is, I knew from the 1st time I met him, that I'd end up clashing with Baras later on. He's a dark lord and been around a while; what happened to his previous apprentice, that makes him want to start anew with a random sithling with his nose still wet? The impression that you're going to have a conflict with him only gets reinforced during the first story arc. Like, when everyone on your side that you kill says "poor sith, Baras will betray you too".

Quinn on the other hand, is like the ultimate empire supporter, yet he betrays you for Baras, who claims to be the Voice. Thing is, he knows that Baras is lying and that he is, in fact, not the Voice: you just killed the real Voice on Voss at that point, and you serve the Emperor directly. It couldn't get more Empire supporting than that, really. Then he goes around and says that the Emperor is distant and that Baras is a patriot - like if we were not going to fix this mess because the Emperor directly took interest in Baras treachery (proving Quinn's pov ultimately false).

If you ever roll another warrior, watch the story closely as Quin begins working with you. There is definitely some foreshadowing there.

So, you all hate Quinn for being manipulated and coerced by the same Dark Lord that MANIPULATED YOU for 3/4 of your story? The same guy who had you running around the galaxy doing his dirty work, while all the while having you convinced that you were his most trusted apprentice before he tried to have you killed? :rolleyes:

I got betrayed by Baras and killed him for it.

I got betrayed by Quinn in favor of Baras AFTER Baras betrayed me and I can't kill him?

Yeah, sense is strong in this one.

As for hatred toward Quinn's personality - I confess, I have it. Not only this definition of nazy-officer with his sleeky voice makes me sick but he is whiny like a spoiled baby. He complains about every companion on board, almost every NPC we meet, his formal superiors and every planet we visit. God, what a creep!

This is SO TRUE.

Every single thing he says is either ***-kissing towards you or whining about everything else. He's uptight, overzealous boy scout that treats everyone who isn't by all accounts perfect, like dirt. Sure he is competent as far as tactics go but his personality is absolutely atrocious and other than said tactical skills, there is NOTHING likeable about him for me.

I'd settle for fitting him with a shock collar but no, I guess my berserker SW who killed people because he didn't like their face, is suddenly stricken with mercy and can't bring himself to kill a traitor because "he's useful". I'd like to see a single thing that I absolutely require Quinn for cause my character can't handle it himself.

Edited by gibmachine

OK, I understand people are upset that they can't punish Quinn appropriately for his betrayal. I don't want to kill him, oh no... that'd be too easy. Torture, shock collar, all good options.

But, if you actually read those posts, you'd know, a good portion of people are genuinely pissed that Quinn actually betrayed them, and add to that they can't vent their anger by killing the dude... thus the endless "why can't I kill quinn" rant.

Like I said before in those posts (and often get ignored), You're a freaking Sith, betraying people and being schemed by people is an occupational hazard. That's what you sign up on when you first becoming a sith. I never for one second believe Baras will keep me around unless I'm useful to him. When I saw Baras is a level 50 boss when I first met him on Koroban, I thought "So I get to fight him at the end of the game".

And if you actually pay attention to Quinn's conversation and what he likes, you'd know his loyalty lies with the Empire, never to you personally. If I have to put him into AD&D alignment, he's strictly Lawful Evil.

But I am a bit disappointed that the game won't allow me to scheme against Baras... That'd be fun, and more inclined with the Sith tradition.

I wasn't annoyed at Quinn for betraying me - in hindsight, this was a very real possibility - he is the kind of person that is honorbound (with no regard for himself or anyone else) to repay his debts (in casu to Baras).

(In relation to this, I personally very much enjoyed the conversation with General Monk on Quesh, who pointed out Baras would betray me, his apprentice, too at some point or another. Upon which I simply answered something like 'I know, it's part of the game'.)

What IS annoying, is the fact BW took away my chance at revenge. Nothing wrong with Quinn, he's just being himself. BW just didn't give ME the option to be MYself. Even if I had ended up without a healer, I still would've send him to an early grave, if only because I have been constantly killing people for MUCH smaller offenses.

Quinn's betrayal is fine. Of course he's loyal to Baras before you; he's known Baras, been under Baras' thumb, for years if not decades. You're an (admittedly kickass) new guy who was given him. He's loyal to you too, yes, because that's his personality, loyalty to superiors. But Baras was his superior and savior / controller first.

Your options to respond to it are less than fine. There should absolutely be an in-story way to punish him for his transgression against you. While my character would forgive him because he's useful, he would not do so without instructing Quinn on where his loyalties will forevermore lie.

And if people want to kill him? Just make a replacement healer bot. Hell, use the one that comes with the ship.

I knew he would betray me at some point for some reason or backstab me otherwise the moment I've met him... same goes for Baras. What upset me more was the incredible amount of stupidity Quinn has. He is not a genius in any way and he is certainly not an expert @ combat. He is just an asskissing guy who follows orders and can't think for himself, he is everything that's bad about the empire. I would trade him in an instant for Dr. Lokin or Talos and even Mako or just a second shipdroid so I get twice as much annoyed by the constant "hail to you master" crap. This guy literally has no personality at all and he surely has absolutely no balls. So far he is the worst and most boring companion ever I've encountered personally having played a IA and SI to 50 besides my SW.

I would love to be able to execute him or at least put him in the cargobay in a cage with a shock collar on so the crew has some sort of amusement during travels. I just hate him, everyone of my crew hates him (ok, Broonmark hates everyone but wth)... I just don't get why I have to be stuck with Cpt. Kss-up. :mad:

We really should be able to kill Quinn as a dark side option and replace him with a diff quinn customization with a diff name or hell find his long lost twin in special quest. Something just so we can kill him, and we need options. I want to torture his sorry butt before i kill him. Need options for several bouts of torture and several ways to relieve him of his head. While we are at it i would love to send Baras a package with Quinn's head in it with a note reading your next.

We really should be able to kill Quinn as a dark side option and replace him with a diff quinn customization with a diff name or hell find his long lost twin in special quest. Something just so we can kill him, and we need options. I want to torture his sorry butt before i kill him. Need options for several bouts of torture and several ways to relieve him of his head. While we are at it i would love to send Baras a package with Quinn's head in it with a note reading your next.

I'm sure, his long lost twin will be really ok with if you killed Quinn, get rdy to get backstabbed again :p

As a Sith, you must always be rdy for thos kinds of tricks of other Siths that wants your power or just keep it from it

Thats how it is in our lovly Sith Empire :D

Edited by Sevonn

I knew he would betray me at some point for some reason or backstab me otherwise the moment I've met him... same goes for Baras. What upset me more was the incredible amount of stupidity Quinn has. He is not a genius in any way and he is certainly not an expert @ combat. He is just an asskissing guy who follows orders and can't think for himself, he is everything that's bad about the empire. I would trade him in an instant for Dr. Lokin or Talos and even Mako or just a second shipdroid so I get twice as much annoyed by the constant "hail to you master" crap. This guy literally has no personality at all and he surely has absolutely no balls. So far he is the worst and most boring companion ever I've encountered personally having played a IA and SI to 50 besides my SW.

I would love to be able to execute him or at least put him in the cargobay in a cage with a shock collar on so the crew has some sort of amusement during travels. I just hate him, everyone of my crew hates him (ok, Broonmark hates everyone but wth)... I just don't get why I have to be stuck with Cpt. Kss-up. :mad:

The way I see it, Quinn does have personality. Just because you don't like his military way doesn't mean he doesn't have a personality. He's ambitious and goal orientated. He's loyal to the empire, and will do whatever it takes to get the job done. The game doesn't give him much opportunity to speak up, but I feel that he could really raise high in military if Baras let him.

As for the punishment... would be nice if Bioware let my Marauder torture him, but I'm not going to kill him even if there is an option. I need a healer. Hell, I didn't even Kill Anders in Dragon Age 2 because he's the only healer! (I did kill him in my second run, but really regret it in DLC).

On the contrary, I don't like Dr. Lokin at all...LOL. So I guess it all boils down to personal taste here. I'd rather have Quinn instead of Lokin during my IA run.

Edited by FluorineSpark

Quinn is the reason I was ABLE to beat Darth Baras in the first place and playing a female Zabarak, he is her soulmate now. Vette is a close second friend but Quinn all the way.

So the fact he helps you beat Darth Baras is more than enough to forgive Quinn for his betrayal. I can't wait to see when they expand the SW story how your relationship with your companions turn out.

Dude if you were seriously manipulated by Baras, you can't know very much about siths :p. Personally I was just waiting for him to betray me, while learning from him and growing stronger.

What is this I don't even...

It's a story, and you were. He used you then betrayed you according to the story. Even if you the player saw it, it still happened to your character. You can get off that high horse now, thanks.

You're tripping. He often points out flaws in the plan and even suggests the course of action that you are pondering is wrong. Just because he acknowledges you as his superior does not make him an *** kisser...no more than Alfred is an *** kisser in the Batman comics. Plus, he is a military officer...he shouldn't be openly insubordinate. Ask anyone you know in the military what happens to people who openly defy their superiors. I'm guessing this is doubly so if your superior is a powerful sith.