So how is slicing?

Aniaden

My guild is rerolling a new server lower pop so we can avoid the crazy Q times on our current server. And since I've never tried slicing but heard it makes a ton of cash I thought I would try it. Is it really a huge money maker? Or was it nerfed yet? Edited by Aniaden

it gives a good early game cred boost, and will help you and 2 friends buy mounts at 25 (through 1 char with slicing)

Especially if you are going to be running content with a group, just keep your companion(s) out on slicing missions. Rush through class quest content to get companions as early as possible.

Good for buying skill training and speeders as you level to 50. Really great for giving you money for anything that has a static price. Drop it then and pick up some sort of craft. In less than a month's time, slicing rewards will be unable to compare to the going prices of materials.

If it gets nerfed it will be a knee-jerk response to an imaginary problem. Like many MMO "fixes". So yeah, it will probably happen.

Edited by AsinineTangent

Good for buying skill training and speeders as you level to 50. Drop it then and pick up some sort of craft. In less than a month's time, slicing rewards will be unable to compare to the going prices of materials.

Yea I'm just looking to build up quick surplus. Then switch it to something more beneficial to whatever I decide to craft.

I have been slicing since early access began. I can tell you slicing isn't near what it was. As of right now, I'm lvl 30, using mako, with 350 slicing, and I rarely get more than what I spent to send her. Missions cost ~1400 credits atm, doing abundant runs, and I usually get 12-1500 credits, with a rare case that has 3k+ in it. Most of the money I make from slicing comes from the "real world" deposits, and only because they don't cost me anything to begin with.

Slicing is over-hyped. It is good for short-term investment. But in the long-haul those who went with missions and crafting will have more money than the slicers.

This.

Peeps are getting all wrapped around the axle by their panty knots because slicing gives credits outright without realizing that selling the gathered mats from other gathering skills would in most cases yield more credits.

This.

Peeps are getting all wrapped around the axle by their panty knots because slicing gives credits outright without realizing that selling the gathered mats from other gathering skills would in most cases yield more credits.

Have you tried this? Are you just a complete moron spouting off stuff you have no idea about? I assume your slicing and havnt tried to sell mats from other professions

Gathered mats do not sell for close to what the cost of the mission is vendor wise, and they do not sell to players at the moment either..

Until crafted items are in demand, they wont sell for profit on the GTN either

As of last night, I was level 23, had 120K credits in bank account.

Today I am level 26, speeder training paid off, one DDE speeder and one purchased speeder and fully upgraded starship for my level, as well as unlocked my first extra inventory slot and am back to 105K. Granted I was sending companions off quite a bit yesterday evening and early this morning.

If you want money in a hurry, then slicing is the way to go. I suspect that once the economy takes off and people start buying and crafting more, mats will sell more and more on Galatic Trade and people will also earn decent money doing this.

But I wanted a quick and dirty way to make money, and I certainly don't regret taking slicing.

Have you tried this? Are you just a complete moron spouting off stuff you have no idea about? I assume your slicing and havnt tried to sell mats from other professions

Gathered mats do not sell for close to what the cost of the mission is vendor wise, and they do not sell to players at the moment either..

+1

i got my UT and scav to about 150 before I dropped UT for slicing... I'll tell you one thing... my bank roll has never been so high. I tried selling mats and eventually resorted to crafting the items and selling them.

I have seen no other skill that you can spend 1k to go on a mission and come back 20 min later with 4-5k (non crit).

Its good. Use it until they nerf it then switch back.

I have seen no other skill that you can spend 1k to go on a mission and come back 20 min later with 4-5k (non crit).

This is a flat out lie. Anything above a white box is a crit. Green boxes are crits. A white box will give you a small +/- of the mission cost. And you have a lot more money after going from UT to slicing because you're no longer flushing money down the drain with UT.

Even a 3k profit after a 30m mission by getting a green box isn't amazing, sorry. And this is what you're looking at with grade 5-6 missions. Hell, a wealthy return unlocked mission (2h30m) will only give you about 8-9k. Not profit, total. This is nothing to a level 40-50.

Edited by AsinineTangent

Yes I do.

But I have done most of the crafting profs (long time beta)

but then again i am selling most of my gathered mats from my other gathering skills -- new MMO new economy credits > all at this point. Once raiding credits and drops dominate the market then the perceived "OPness" of slicing will diminish.

I also buy UT mats, rather than run missions for the rare metals for Cyber.

I am Cyber/Slice/Scavanging. I sell the scavage mats that I no longer can level up with on the market, slice for some cash reinvest that money into UT metals to make blue/purple mods for use and sell. The folks getting 200-500 credit a pop for one blue metal right now are not complaining i have slicing (i hope)

This is how an economy gets started on a server.

Stop trying to be self sufficient, depend on others in the game to go and get things too. Most folks are probably using their mats to level crafting and not selling them leading them to be broke because they are relying solely on vendor trash, quest rewards, and mob credits for income.

Edited by Racheakt

Most people overlook the gathering nodes from slicing as you're questing. On Taaris (Level ~35) They hold roughly 800-1200 credits each with 4-5k mediums once in a while. These are pure profit. The credits off gathering nodes dwarf running missions. At least if you spend most of your time questing. If you're leveling equally via space combat, pvp, and flashpoints, slicing may not be as worthwhile.

But yes, at 50 most will be more focused on pvp and flashpoints, so it makes sense at that point to drop slicing for a tertiary gathering skill.

Edited by Liquidhal

Most people overlook the gathering nodes from slicing as you're questing. On Taaris (Level ~35) They hold roughly 800-1200 credits each with 4-5k mediums once in a while. These are pure profit. The credits off gathering nodes dwarf running missions. At least if you spend most of your time questing. If you're leveling equally via space combat, pvp, and flashpoints, slicing may not be as worthwhile.

But yes, at 50 most will be more focused on pvp and flashpoints, so it makes sense at that point to drop slicing for a tertiary gathering skill.

Correct the real money in slicing is the world nodes, not the crew missions. I do the crew missions while in an instance or PvPing.

But world nodes has its own issues, like demand, if there is another slicer around they tend to nab the node while you stand on the node.

Off-topic but related to gathering nodes, they can be gathering from a range longer than you'd expect (much longer than interacting with quest objects). And they aren't effected by line of site. So, for example, I've nabbed slicing terminals while standing under the bridge it's on, or behind a tent when the tent occupied by mobs I didn't feel like fighting (that one was tricky, had to zoom out and turn the camera at the right angle to see inside the tent).