Forcing Advance Classes?

Renata_Roselli

Upon logging in on my level 65 Sith Warrior, the window to choose an Advance Class popped up and you could not bypass it. You can not do anything except choose one. I shut the game down because I didn't want to pick one. Is BioWare now forcing people to choose an Advance class so they can get access to the rest of the game?

Upon logging in on my level 65 Sith Warrior, the window to choose an Advance Class popped up and you could not bypass it. You can not do anything except choose one. I shut the game down because I didn't want to pick one. Is BioWare now forcing people to choose an Advance class so they can get access to the rest of the game?

Yes, it's one of my pet peeves about KotET, but you have to choose one - it's an extension of the change where ACs are now part of character creation, the basic classes no longer really exist in-game. :rolleyes:

Classes + Combat

General

• Players now choose their Advanced Class at Character Creation, beginning their SWTOR adventures as an Advanced Class from Level 1. Ability grants for the Level 1-10 experience have been adjusted to familiarize players with fantasy-defining abilities early.

Edited by DarthDymond

I don't personally think you should be forced to choose as long as you're doing SP only. The minute a character like that joins PVP or ops/fp , though, my tolerance goes out the window.

Given that there were people who were using this to troll, I'm not sorry they shut the idea down. And to be perfectly honest there should have never been such a thing as 'base' classes to begin with.

I don't personally think you should be forced to choose as long as you're doing SP only. The minute a character like that joins PVP or ops/fp , though, my tolerance goes out the window.

Given that there were people who were using this to troll, I'm not sorry they shut the idea down. And to be perfectly honest there should have never been such a thing as 'base' classes to begin with.

That's pretty much my thoughts on this as well.

That's pretty much my thoughts on this as well.

I agree with his statement, too. people were trolling WZ's with their bs base classes and gimping things up. one chuckle@#$ was wunning around with a training saber. I could have strangled him.

What reasons that do not involve trolling other players is there really for refusing to pick an AC?

There have been some that just do the story or the planet missions to see if they can level them up without an advance class but they were not doing group activities. They were just doing solo activities.

I agree, I don't think existing characters, especially those at 50 or higher, should have been forced to choose at all. I understand and often opined that we should start at level 1 with our ACs. BUt for those who went the distance without it and found it to be enjoyable, they should not have been forced to accept an AC. It should have been optional.

I agree with his statement, too. people were trolling WZ's with their bs base classes and gimping things up. one chuckle@#$ was wunning around with a training saber. I could have strangled him.

To be fair, when I did it, I was in full PVP gear (which I got from other characters that did pick their AC) and I kept track of wins. Ended with 34 wins and 8 losses. I was normally in the middle for damage and kills. While yes, I was not as effective as I could have been, I was far from gimping things, but some of the reactions were priceless.

Edited by HelinCarnate

There have been some that just do the story or the planet missions to see if they can level them up without an advance class but they were not doing group activities. They were just doing solo activities.

And it's not just about seeing whether or not you're able to do it. It's also about showing off to other players that you did. I leveled a Jedi Knight to 65 for the DvL event, and I had several strangers salute me when they saw me running around solo in Heroic areas without an advanced class.

While I sympathize with the concerns about trolling in PvP and other group content, forcing an advanced class is hardly going to change that behavior - a troll is still free to be an utterly incompetent or even an actively detrimental member of the team. Some of the best abilities for trolling teammates in the game require an advanced class, or even a specialization, such as Rescue/Extricate or Translocate/Transpose. On the other hand, with forced advanced classes, it's going to be a lot less obvious when you're getting grouped up with a fresh new player who needs to be taught about the game.

Wow I must be really old. Somebody please explain to me why you would want to run around with only half your skills and half your abilities? To what advantage is there to NOT choosing your Advance Class?

I just do not understand that logic.

Edited by denavin

What reasons that do not involve trolling other players is there really for refusing to pick an AC?

Wow I must be really old. Somebody please explain to me why you would want to run around with only half your skills and half your abilities? To what advantage is there to NOT choosing your Advance Class?

It's a different playstyle. Don't forget some classes had slightly different abiltiies in the base class which got changed by some advanced classes. Removing the ability to play with a base class only took away an option, some may even say a third way to play each class. Taking away the ability to do so is basically taking away some of the content for those players that enjoy it (mostly those with 30+ ~max level characters, I'd guess). Due to the limitations of the current shoehorned class system without much variety (remember, whent he game first launched you could mix and match skill trees as you pleased, allowing more options to create characters of the same class that felt and played differently - I miss those days).

Also, the base class icons above the head are different and often better looking/resembling the class better, like the Mandalorian Mythosaur icon for Bounty Hunters or the nicer lightsaber icon for Jedi Knights, etc.. Some prefer that for flavour. The latter could be fixed if they added an option to freely change the icon between advanced and base class, similar to the "Character flair" option or whatever. It's also been more of a challenge to play with the base class only.

I've also had a bunch of those in my stable of 30+ level 65 characters. I only logged in to collect the pre-order rewards and didn't want to choose the advanced class.

That said, it's a problem that you can't even log out the character before choosing the advanced class. Bioware should at least make the escape menu with the logout function available during this so you don't have to kill the client if you don't want to mess up your character with an advance class just yet.

Edited by Glzmo

It's an example of not understanding their own game's mechanics and systems.

The SIMPLER fix to this was to have the WZ queue button script check the exact same flag SH gathering decos do, when they inform you "Gathering from this node requires an advanced class" - and have it block you from entering the queue.

I'd put this down to perhaps devs who worked on features like this having left the game, and their replacements not knowing about this, even though it's pretty intuitive that it would be possible since WZs can block people from queueing for all sorts of reasons. It'd not have been hard to flag all people playing the solo campaign in Basic Class Challenge Mode for the prestige of having a max level base class character as unable to queue for group content.

Just for fun.

I had this entire family thing going and the youngest was a kid barely 13, i figured it was appropriate she was weaker and without AC for immersions sake. Nerd RP poop I know, but after lvling 50 characters to max level you get the silliest ideas to do for entertainment. Too bad one bit of that entertainment that had value to me just got forcefully removed...

Edited by Kiesu

Some of us did it for the little extra challenge of deliberate gimping, just like people who play without companions, or people who play in their starter gear.

Others of us did it because we could. After leveling a set of each advanced class, it seemed perfectly obvious to me that the next set of characters should be base class. I am sad that they are losing their reason to be.

I agree.

I don't think BW went through the trouble of removing base classes from the game because of multiplayer trolls. Clearly they wanted to separate the ACs from each other so that players chose a playstyle at character creation and didn't arbitrarily lose a bunch of abilities at level 10. It also allowed them to give abilities that were not gained until choosing your AC earlier in the leveling process. As with any change, there will be some scenarios where players are impacted and that's unfortunate, but there are benefits to removing the base class system.

I did it (a smuggler) for the reason it was the only real challenge at the time, before the companion change in 4.0 where they are now superpowerful and the influence up to 50. Yes it was tedious, but that is my choice to play the character, and walk about with the smuggler label.

I understand and agree with the PVP trolling, so a check to make sure you have an AC when you queue should be fair enough to do.

I do think if one gets to level 70, the command XP system would bug. The crates are based on AC's, so they would have to do some check. My solution would be simply roll a DPS set. We can make craftables anyways, so we can mod it. Granted if that person is a healer, they would have to deal. But in most cases I have tried, a NON-AC needs DPS to survive more, and the companion is the healer.

Have a button on the menu for choosing AC..labeled "Not Now", and we can choose to bypass the menu. This would be helpful to even the lvl 1 people, who may want to learn their character first and then choose later.

To the OP, I'm with you on this. There are some of us who have fun to level such toons. It's a shocker I know, I can barely believe it myself! People playing SWTOR for fun!!

For me it was for a variety of reasons, to complete the set of operative, sniper and imperial agent. Because I was sick and tired of people not playing objectives in warzones (yes it's possible to do better objective gameplay with no advanced than other people on their advanced classes!), can sometimes do more damage than someone with an advanced class (yes if you've ever pvp'd.....you've had that thought yourself.

Don't lie to yourself!). And then there's the simplest ones, quite frankly...it's a challenge.

Now I was different, I levelled mine with the imp agent class story and warzones. Had a fair few people cry out in shock...only for other players to laugh when I ended up doing better than I did. Even had a friend (well known by the TRE pvp community at the time) who was levelling his assassin at the time tell me he had more of a challenge against me on my no ac toon and those with.

When he got to max level, yes I did play with him a bit but only sparingly...very sparingly (I stopped playing him in pvp when they removed the cover protection on the imp agent base class). I never trolled ranked, I never trolled the pve queues. Ended up getting him to rank 61 over the years but the vast majority of those whilst levelling.

Had several people of my guild tell me they much preferred to play with someone with no advanced class and knew what they were doing than someone with an advanced class and not know what they were doing.

You see just because someone has such a toon, it doesn't always mean that it's a toon for trolling. Some people do care about whether they affect other peoples fun too much.

Perhaps the vid in the link below might give an idea as to why people played such toons. And yes in the pvp clips I was grouped with 3 other friends.

All this being said, I completely understand why they did it, but it's a real shame. The real trolls ended up spoiling something that was actually pretty fun and didn't impact on other players.

I leveled a knight to 65, did all the story quests, all of RoTHC, PreRevan, Revan, and all 16 chapters. I didn't troll I just wanted the challenge. It was a challenge and I enjoyed it and never bothered a soul doing so.