Bioware why the ninja nerf to death from above?

Galvatron

<snip> quit. I really don't care. .

I think you will care when he quits because I doubt you want to see the SWTOR population fall off anymore then it already has.....

This isn't about one player quitting it's about people leaving in Exodus Age of Conan style.

Almost every PvP server out there was a ghost town aside from Fatman.

If 1.2 stays how it is now you can bet in 30 days it's going to be incredibly worse.

Edited by TheNinjaboy

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a purely PVE standpoint, this hurts significantly. The best way to kill the little robot adds on karagga fight was just to pop DFA. With this change you'll be lucky to hit one of them.

As far as PVP it's just LOL-bad. No one is gonna stand in this unless they're afk. Yet on my concealment Op I can pop out of stealth, lay down orbital strike, re-stealth, and then go faceplant someone in my AoE with an almost guaranteed kill.

I think you will care when he quits because you'll realize that it's not just him quitting it's EVERYONE but you.

I doubt you want to see the SWTOR population fall off anymore then it already has.....

Almost every PvP server out there is a ghost town aside from Fatman.

Nope don't care. Cause if that many quit, they will just consolodate servers. I just need what enough for BW to justify continued development, which I think they said 100k-250k?

So yeah don't care.

Anyways, everyone thinks I'm lying. So it doesn't matter what I say.

however, I'm not the only one who has said DFA is fine. I agree radius nerf sux, but eh it's really not a deal breaker.

Yay at last a thread that isn't closed by bioware , i honestly don't think they get it at all to be honest guys and us moaning goes no where at all, accept it that Americans as general think they are right and are arrogant people, the US servers are all already on light usage along with the majority of ours except of course the Germans who for some reason put up with any crap bless them and their crusades.

My PVP experiences on this game are dire no matter what char i build as the survivability of all of them are useless, you may think your mercs nerfed ( I have one btw and play as pyro merc side) but on the other end when he is bombing the crap out of you as say a consular gay side, sorry i meant jedi side (just a joke) and you have a warrior at your *** your meat on the dance floor swearing because your cooldowns are gone and did zero to help you, fact is they really didn't think about pvp that much and probably counted on people being more sociable and going for the pve side when its a generation that sit on trains not talking with their heads in iphones..Big derrrrr,,Hey! do you live in reality as people need a tool for anything to be social to the devs there. Anywhores to create a good pvp environment we would all need better survivability skills to make it more fun and have the chance to do more damage and a total lack of some turd wanting to put a version of american football on their as he has a total lack of imagination, i friggin hate huttball, thats not pvp thats some ******** spending too much time working in EA sports devision being let on this game, never had crappy sports like that in star wars especially when hutts are about smuggling and shipping arms etc, should have been pod racing against other onlines or something..bloody morons.

You reduced the radius of Death form Above which was fine but now you ninja nerfed the damage by 30-40%. PLEASE EXPLAIN YOURSELF.

I don't think the radius reduction was fine at all. They made death from above a useless aoe now. It does not even hit a normal circle of mobs anymore.

There is noway to hit all the mobs in your normal set up of mobs BioWare. What was the reasoning to that?

What good is an aoe that does not aoe? Your version of a merc for this game is more and more disappointing me.

I came into this game wanting to be a Bounty Hunter like Boba Fett.

There is no Boba fett in this game at all. Boba fett had 2 balsters, a bladed gauntlet, a rocket pack he could jump and or fly with, a grapple hook.

Neither the power tech or the merc gets all of these. You split these things up and made Merc suck ***.

A Merc can not beat or even make a challenging fight to any class out there with anyone similarly geared.

Merc is only good for healing. Not what I had in mind as a merc.

Power techs get all the same abilities as merc and more accept the 2 blasters. Power tech is the better of the 2 but, It's not the fantasy created by Star Wars that I was looking for.

There is a definite imbalance in pvp being a merc. You will never win a 1 vs 1 fight against any class unless your heals, then you wont win but you wont die.

I'm losing faith in you BioWare. I for 1 am starting to entertain the idea of moving on due to no jet pack for mercs, pvp imbalance, and constantly screwing up on patches.

Edited by Kelenan

I had no problems with DFA while leveling on Nar Shaddaa yesterday. I was able to drop 3 & 4 mob groups with intelligent reticle placement. I admit the mobs are lower level than me (20/21 vs 23/24) so any damage nerf might not be observed.

Luckily, as a level 24 powertech, I do not notice any of these nerfs that have so many up in arms. DFA was the only one that affected me, and as I said above, I didn't notice any difference. When I get a skill that was nerfed, it will be new to me and I will still be more powerful than I was before when I did not have the skill. I won't be aware of what I could do in the past.

I'm sorry, you veterans are burdened with knowledge.

Yep I ride in there on my bike, get the melee to follow me group up on 1 gunner, grapple the other, DFA, only loose 5-8% of my HP and they all die.

Again learn to use the lower radius. Again same exact damage is outputed total by DFA just in a smaller circle. Learn to adjust.

Or qq more and quit. I really don't care. I like the changes esp in PvP because of quicker activation.

Being a squishy Arsenal Merc, I find this hard to replicate :(

I have to say though, I love the new patch, and I'm fine with all the dmg changes. But I don't like the radius reduction. I understand this was a problem for pvping which I haven't gotten into yet. All I want is that the radius got increased again. Not necessarily back to what it was before, but bigger than it is now. And if that means a reduction in the overall damage it can deal, then fine by me, but I want it to be an AOE again, since grouping up enemies that are not just some weak trash is too risky for a character like mine

Alright, seems I was out a bit too quick. Got all worked up by the negative energy, and didn't do good enough research myself. So yes, you can still use to target and hit multiple targets over the full duration. You can't hit as wide spread groups as before, but it's definitely still an AOE attack. The damage is pretty much the same as before, and there are 6 ticks not just 3. The knockback is not too bad. So basically you can still use this attack. I guess it depends on the planet/area you're in. On my first test I was on Belsalvis where now, most of the groups are to wide spread for DFA to have any effect. But now on Voss, I use it a lot with great results.

Edited by nikoinlc

Get something..>ANYTHING mezzed/stunned by elct. dart and then drop DoA on them...Booooom 6 ticks now....6 ticks = the same dmg I use to do on 3 ticks before patch. IF and ONLY IF I hit hit all 6...but DMG per Cast/use is the same as before...they really didnt nerf the damge total...GO Bcck AND TEST IT AGAIN! Its the radius that sux now...cuz they left knockback the same and now even if you knock weak mob down they end up blowing out of radius and not taking but one or two maybe three ticks max...

Also its alot eaiser to move out of the range in PVP....Just skip right to edge of the reticle and poof you dont take but one or two ticks...

Like others have said Id rather have seen DMG reduced and radius the same or Radius reduced but also kick the knockback down a bit so you dont blow even lowly trash mobs outta your own attack...That all being said We will see if they adjust it at all....For know Ill use it sparingly when I want to throw it at a few NPC mobs or else Ill run in and just blow up flame sweep people..

I gotta say DoA was more widely used for me for weak mobs as an opening attack....Now Ill just have to switch strats a bit...Its not the END of DAYS as some would say though...you have tons of skills...some just now got to move up on your use more often now list and others move down the list. You have alot of other skills to do dmg. We will see if they adjust the DoA at all after alot of data is collected....But there was no dmg nerf...its just the overall usefulness of this skill is reduced now as an AOE opener...you can still use it in situations if the right conditions are there but now there are other skills that can be used as effectively if you have them.

Thats my thoughts at least....All that being said I would like to see the knockback lessend or the radius put back out and the DMG lessend...or crit reduced or what have you. If they do tweak it at all...rrather throw a lil dmg a long way across alot of folks than alot of dmg in one tiny bucket with a skill like that. ;)

Hmm, death from above was pretty much a fluff PVE skill, but it was one of the few non-farting skill in my rotation (face the missile shooting animation is er quite poor). If all I'm left with is farting off missiles it is time to shelve this game. The Bounty Hunter already suffers a little from being a gun guy in a force game, so nerfing his coolest looking ability is the nail in the coffin for me. I really don't feel like building up an alt either because as a casual player by the time I get anywhere with it the class will probably have all of its fun abilities nerfed into the ground.

If people think this is crying so be it -- but it can't be good if Bioware only sees positive feedback. Anyway, I'm sure these changes are probably a good thing for the more serious player, but from a very casual player's perspective it just dulls the class to a point of not wanting to log in anymore. Sometimes I think the developers forget that one of the major carrots in an MMO is that your character gets stronger the more you play it, by nerfing abilities it almost becomes the opposite.

Hmm, death from above was pretty much a fluff PVE skill, but it was one of the few non-farting skill in my rotation (face the missile shooting animation is er quite poor). If all I'm left with is farting off missiles it is time to shelve this game. The Bounty Hunter already suffers a little from being a gun guy in a force game, so nerfing his coolest looking ability is the nail in the coffin for me. I really don't feel like building up an alt either because as a casual player by the time I get anywhere with it the class will probably have all of its fun abilities nerfed into the ground.

If people think this is crying so be it -- but it can't be good if Bioware only sees positive feedback. Anyway, I'm sure these changes are probably a good thing for the more serious player, but from a very casual player's perspective it just dulls the class to a point of not wanting to log in anymore. Sometimes I think the developers forget that one of the major carrots in an MMO is that your character gets stronger the more you play it, by nerfing abilities it almost becomes the opposite.

i feel the same way---i havent even wanted to log in since this patch--now my 3-month sub is comming to an end, guess well see.

Hey BW thanks for ruining my gaming experience. I primarily play pve solo and death from above was my opening attack against mobs of low lvls. Tuesday night, pre-patch, I used it to take down a mob of 5 rakhguls, 2 instakills, 2 down 3/4 health and one untouched. Last night i used it in a similar situation against 4 raks, only hit 2 and watched them get shoved out of the radius by knockback. All 4 hit me at near full health. That i can deal with.

The problem though, is when it's 4 low levels and an elite or a boss. I counted on death from above to drop the low lvls so i could deal with the boss. Now rather than healing me during the boss fight my companion is getting wrecked by the mob, or is trying to stun them leaving meto be the punching bag for the bots.

I've never posted to this board or complained about this game, but the new patch has made changed this from an entertaining game that was somewhat challenging to a frustrating slogfest.

I'm using mortar volley on a Trooper. It seems to always ticks 6 times if i run it to the end now. So it seems unlikely that DFA is only ticking 3 times, but maybe there's a bug.

First, i will say as a trooper i very much appreciate that Mortar volley starts doing damage much faster now. The one second delay was crazy. I don't really care if it hits 3 or 6 times though. I guess theoretically, this way people get hit more times before running out of range, but i'm suspicious it that it makes pretty much zero difference in actual game play.

As far as utility though I'm in agreement with the vocal majority here. These skills are much more difficult to use and not very satisfying in their current state. If someone's not right in the circle, they don't get hit. It is very challenging to get either NPC's or players to stand in it. Despite it's relatively large damage numbers compared to our other skills, most of the utility from these skills was in their radius. So it shouldn't be a surprise that many of us find them to be considerably less useful than they were before. Having a skill that is technically capable of hitting a large number of targets hamstrung by an attack radius that is very unlikely to ever hit that number of targets is frustrating.

I've always felt that the short aoe radius of explosive burst / flame sweep made them too fidgety. It's really easy to miss someone you think you're right next to. So again, no surprise that reducing our key AOE interrupt/trash killer/puller to the same radius is frustrating.

I suspect, that reducing the damage, but keeping the radius would have been more acceptable to many of us.

Suggestion: at the very least, consider dropping the minimum range from DFA and MV (and possibly everything else). It was worth dealing with when their AOE was larger, but it's just too much trouble to be worth it most of the time now. The best way to clump things is to make them stand at my feet. If I'm only going to hit two or three things with it anyway, I'd prefer to not have to deal with the whole "too close" failure that makes using a ground-targeted skill twice as annoying.

Edited by squeg

I say this for the masses you would be misguideing:

Funny you say that about DFA. I can still use it on 3 mobs spaced apart and get 2 to so low health one rapid shot ends them. further that, by the time i am done doing DFA and moving to them they are standing up to take FB in the face...lv 50 mob(s) dead! so either your doing it wrong or exar6ggerating to the Nth degree.

Gun guy in a force user game...i guess its not for all. BH in SWG was iconic, and it is in this game. I laugh at force users who think swinging a glow-bat was gonna make the leet beciase only a handfull (on my server) play one with deadly aspect to all classes not being good at jsut one class. takes skill to know what class is what kind of spec by the damage you take, watching debuffs and cc and then knowing how to use your rotation to end them. funny thing is BH have more ease of use for Tech abilities than do force weilders trying to use thier force powers.....grass inst greener on the other side. if you take my word on having a Sorc and Tank-assin both champ geared.

Crying, eh...disgust due to futility maybe. the combat revamp needed to happen. not everyone got to test PTS and those that did didn't take any time to fill out all the minor details due to taking them for granted. I ahvent noticed any difference in damage for pve or pvp due to BH changes and i have 500MB of screenshots to sift through to comapre. To the casual player it is overwhelming to see the changes but honestly the 'uber' players knew it was going to happen. those players knew how to max a build out and then perfect a rotation as well as identify enemy weaknesses to exploit.

Characters do get stronger as you play it. it may feel repetitive at times doing the same powers over and over, but when you get it right and know it works then you're set. i cannot say your bad or good but rather learning. as most players, especially, to pvp will come in with centurion and champ gear and get onwed by all the players that stuck out there miserable grind to BM and now we have players returning who end up wearing the new recruit gear and being beat down saying the changes were to much......they're just wrong. it is the gear grind but now it is easier to get BM suffering only 10 days of pvp pwnage rather than 3 months of it.....hopefully they can learn the class more as they get gear and see how different a game is at that point.

I know i have.

DoA is now a single target attack that maybe will hit another mob for a small amount.

I didnt use it much in PvP due to its cast time and the fact that people could see it and move out of the radius.

I used it a lot in PvE against multiple mobs. Bleh is all I can say now. Like I said a single target attack and not even a very good one.

They also gave Tracer Missile a good nerfing. 10% or so.

Tell me did the uber OP'd Consulers and Troopers get the same treatment?

I've seen a lot of really extreme reactions on here... Yes, BH got a big nerf, no it's not the end of the world, but I'm shelving my BH until there is another update because I find going from taking 5% to 10% damage per battle doing ilum dailies to taking 70% damage per battle a little extreme. Am I the only one who's seeing a huge increase in damage taken?

I've noticed that as well...

I played a BH to 50, and then promptly started in on a stealth specialized sith assassin. Being able to stealth past all the trash mobs I don't care about on the way to quest objectives is huge. It made me consider how I was able to stand doing some of the same quests on my BH.

Looking back, likely the only reason I was able to stand wading through oceans of trash mobs for quests on my BH was because I could nearly wipe out every other group with DFA. The cooldown from it alternated nicely with the cooldown of another AoE combo that was nearly as effective (if I recall right). Now that the radius of DFA has been reduced so much as to pretty much eliminate that option, I fear to consider the tedium that new BHs will have to endure while leveling on some quest chains.

Flame me all you like for this response I really dont care but I played tonight in the black hole and I was killing mobs just as efficiently as pre 1.2, I dont have all the best gear from ops but my gear isnt crap either.

So why are you all whining about some minor changes? Get used to it and learn to play again if its that bad or you could even learn to play your class properly in some cases.

I suspect alot of you rushed ahead for end game or pvp'ed your exp and avoided as much pve as you could to reach your personal goals, in doing so you missed out on a huge part of the learning curve that teaches you how to adapt as you class evolves.

Im also guessing that alot of you insist that there is an optimal spec and gear that you must wear because if you dont you wont be uber enough, tbh I and many others find your whinging tedius to say the least. Anyone who has replied to this post like me saying they dont think we have been nerfed gets flamed instantly for having a different opinion.

So if you want to go back to playing WOW with the 12 year olds then cheerio Im sure you will feel much more at home there because its such a perfect game.....NOT

they ninja nerf ALOT more then just that... Range is nerfed, jet boost is nerfed, tracer ok that we knew about... Unload nerfed, we are like walking target DUMMIES.. Time to quit the game! at least for me, we are a laughing class, i enter WZ and all i mean ALL go for me as they know i have ZERO mobility and don't have the dps anymore!!!!

Amen, I unsubbed today. It was already bad per 1.2 for an arsenal BH and now it's just terrible. See u in a few months when they actually make bh's worth playing and fun. For all those sticking around might as well role a stealther as they seem to be true dps.