Have an idea for a Warzone? Share it with a Dev!

AlexModny

Going to copy paste some ideas I posted in another thread some time ago

New Assault (Voidstar) type map: Yavin 4 – Sith Tomb

ScenarioAnyone familiar with Star Wars lore will know that the ruins used by the Rebel Alliance in Episode 4 are of ancient Sith origin. Imagine then if those ruins contained powerful Sith holocrons that both the Republic and Empire desired, sending forces to claim them.

The map would be set out much like Voidstar, with 3 big rooms, plus the final room, all separated by large doors as well as other traps. Unlike in Voidstar the doors are too heavy to safely blow open so instead the attackers need to power up the door servos using portable power cells (that like the bombs in VS take 8 seconds to plant, 20 seconds to charge the servos and 6 seconds to deactivate). Unlike VS however, you don't plant the power cells on the doors themselves but at the sevor junction stations located on the far sides of the area away from the actual doors.

First area, is actually outside the ruins in the jungle, with dense foliage, fallen trees and rocky outcrops. Charge up one of the servo stations on the far left or far right to open the main entrance to the ruin.

Second area, is like VS in that it is split by a giant pit. In the middle of the pit are two small islands. Activating one of the control consoles raises the bridges between the corresponding island and both sides of the pit. In addition the islands themselves have small fire traps on them (like the ones in huttball). On the far side are two doors opened in the same way as the first doors.

Third area, again like VS is split, however this time it is by 3 Lightning Obelisks that project a field of force lighting across the room, contact with this an insta-kill. In order to lower the field the attackers must use on of the weapon emplacements left behind by a previous explorer team to blast down one of the Obelisks. Once of the otherside again there are 2 more doors to open.

Final room, nothing special just pick up the holocron :

New Huttball Maps – Hoth and Tatooine

The more Huttball the better IMO . Each map should have it's own dangers, Hoth could have a blizzard that suddenly blows in reducing visibility, iced walkway that you can slip off and Ice Gysers that freeze players solid. Tatooine could have quick sand traps, a sand storm, womp rats running around the field and Sandpeople sniping at players from the sides.

New variations of Novarre Coast and Civil War

One of the good things about Hypergate is the way every 2 mins the pylons reset, this prevent sit from becoming just a turtle and zerg fest. The same could be used to liven up NC and CW. However make the resets more random. When the WZ starts the system randomly selects 3 points at which to trigger the reset. These points would be based on damage done during the WZ (I.e. when a certain amount of damage had been inflicted to both ships in CWor to both bunkers in NC, for example if the first reset point in CW was 100 points damage, the reset would trigger when the combined damage inflicted on both ships was 100, so if ship A had taken 60 damage and Ship B has taken 40 damage then the reset happens).

Each WZ would have a different reset mechanic. For CW it would be that the power supply for the guns overloads causing them to shut down and reset. In addition a large electrical AOE would surround the turret consoles for a short period after the overload to prevent instant recapping. In NC it would be that one side fires off an EMP device that disables the turrets for a short period of time.

New Game Type, Capture the Flag – Paragus II

Set on the last surviving large asteroid in the Paragus II system (destroyed in KOTOR 2).

After the destruction of Paragus II, the Exchange moved in and began to mine the debris for fuel. They converted the last remaining Asteroid into a base and installed two massive defence sonic cannons to protect it from the Hutt Cartel who tried to destroy a potential rival. Now the Exchange has abandoned the facility and both the Republic and the Empire want the remaining stocks of fuel buried in the asteroid belt. However the Exchange sabotaged the facility defences, each cannon only has 50% of the 10 power cores it needs to fire. With the Republic holding 1 canon and the Empire the other, both sides must steal the required power cores from the enemies canon to gain control of the asteroid.

New Game type, Team Deathmatch – Battle of Darvanis

Following the defeat of Dread Master Styrak and the Legions of Scum & Villainy, both Republic and Imperial Forces moved into to take control of Darvanis and it's stockpiles of mercenary weapons. This has lead to an all out war on the planets surface for control of the main city.

This would basically be a standard old fashioned TDM where the first team to score a certain number of kills wins. To spice things up the battle field would also feature packs of vermin (Womp Rats), Sand Storms, quick sand traps, a Sarlac and abandoned gun, shield and medical emplacements.

Listed some other (non new Warzone) ideas/improvements I'd like to see, for full list see here :http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=726424

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here's what I would like to see:

Players are divided into two teams: attackers and defenders. The object for the attackers is to capture various capture points spread throughout the map. The objective for the defenders is to defend those points. Once a point is captured (takes 6-8 seconds) the objective is considered permanently capped. The round is over when either the attackers capture all the capture points or when the rounds timer runs out, in which case the Defenders win. After the first round the attack/defend teams are switched. In the event of a tie, the team who could capture the objectives the quickest wins.

The spawn point for the attackers will allow for instant respawns while the defenders have a 10-15sec cooldown before they can respawn. Spawn locations will be arranged in such a way so that the attackers spawn close to an initial objective and the defenders will have an objective close to their spawn.

Before each round the defenders will have 30 seconds to get into position anywhere on the map. The attackers will be locked in a room during this time. Once the 30 seconds are up the attacking team doors open and the round begins.

Here is a basic sketch of a map:

http://i.imgur.com/BEnCuoI.png

The grey boxes are buildings and the red stars are capture point objectives.

Edited by Fellow-Canadian

One Flag Capture the Flag

This is essentially a mix of Voidstar and Huttball. Huttball is neutral flag Capture the Flag. In One Flag, one team is on defense, the other on offense. There is a flag located in or right next to the spawn of the defenders. The attackers have a limited amount of time to grab the flag and bring it back to their spawn. On time limit or successful flag capture, the game ends. Tie breakers could be determined in kills. I don't really like that method, but it could work. Another option is to have four rounds instead of two.

Agreed. As I stated earlier, TOO LITTLE, WAY TOO LATE. Classes are still horribly unbalanced, and the next patch is just going to make things worse, or at the very least, shake up what is OP and underpowered, there hasn't been a single point in this game short of maybe 2.0 where I felt the game was fairly balanced and every class had a role in pvp.

1.1.5 was hands down the best version of pvp in swtor.

I am not too keen on scenarios (king of the hill, turrets, etc.) but I would love to see fights that correspond with the conflict between the factions. We have moved past discovering the Voidstar, fighting for some fleet over Alderaan, securing the Hypergate and securing Denova while our PVE friends get Kephess.

That was the fun part about Denova was that in my mind we are securing this for our PVE friends as they assault on Kephess. I think that is the direction it should take. . .

The idea above about fighting in the orbital satellite above Denon is brilliant because we have GSF happening outside. My idea would have PvP that makes sense with the current scenario in the galaxy. Corellia was a good idea at first because that was the major battle (even if it was an Imperial loss). Regardless, it should correspond with what is happening now.

I think a lot of people expect an open battle that involves armies and what not, which would be cool, but unlikely. Our characters are the select heroes of our respective faction and should have battles that pertain to that. Securing the satellite above Denon is a great idea and could be expanded with the battles above Tython and Korriban...

Tython and Korriban both have to have a hyperspace route, this could be similar to a Voidstar encounter. Each faction would be trying to defend/secure the hyperspace route computer (something). Same thing for a battle above Denon.

That is my mess, just make PvP make sense with the problems we are having in the current galaxy.

Since snipers get a nice new huttball WZ where they can camp out on a pipe and easily pick people off all day, we need a WZ where melee can LoS and easily sneak up on snipers and spank them. It would also need to favour operatives so they can have a WZ where they feel more useful considering how squishy they are and how they are losing their knock down.

On a more serious note: We need more WZs that don't penalize us with a rather long time out when we die like AH does. This is why I prefer hutt ball and VS...

Basically, more non stop action and less time outs.

More death style type matches would be a good idea...Mostly because most people don't know how in the **** to focus on objectives.

Oh and, nice attempt at trying to appease all the people you angered with your lack of plans. This thread still does nothing to solve the issues and I'm guessing it will be what, over a year before we even see this new WZs...

I've also seen a ton of WZ suggestions over the past 2 years and now you want to start a brainstorming thread? :/

Face it, you guys ****ed up...Until you get some real plans for PvP expect more and more people to unsub.

I agree. Nobody who is good at this game cares about a new WZ, we just want this game to be fixed first.

List of things that need to be fixed:

Bolster

Population issues(Cross-server)

WPvP

Poor Balancing methods

The addition of 8v8

Fix bugs with Arena

I think that you get the point.

^^^^^

Mix of GSF/land where two squads of fighters have to protect a capital ship. The capital ship can be destroyed by ship's fire, or by a boarding party bypassing defenses and taking into internal systems on the ship. I get the scale of GSF makes this difficult would load screens, but load screens and multiple maps could make this possible.

Rakghoul Infection. You take turns trying to infect others while the other team attempts to survive without infection.

I also really like NickM's suggestion of a mode with turrets and tanks. I was going to suggest something similar.

Huttball is already a form of CTF, but with only one flag. What about traditional CTF with both teams having a flag?

And a second map for every existing WZ like the new Huttball map.

[Removed] - the playerbase is a bit jaded and the ones who are most apt to contribute aren't going to because they've been yanked around so much already.

My only input which I'm saying again is to simply make more maps of the existing styles. MAYBE add capture the flag, that's IT. Just give us more maps with new landscape features to work with but don't change up the mechanics - it's not worth the development time. Just give us more of what we've got so we don't burn out.

And go light on the introductory cinematics please...watching them or having to load them up so we can spacebar them every warzone is frickin' OLD.

Edited by Uber_the_Goober
You edit me, I edit you. Circle of life.

While not exactly WZ-like, having some a Consolation tournament for those who sign up. Have a best of 3 duel with two players scheduled for a particular time. The winner moves on.

Another not so WZey idea I have is like the BH event, that you can place a bounty on someone and someone else can go collect it. Being on the fleet would be considered amnesty, but any other PVP area would be fair game for a player to easily find and target the player that has a bounty set on them.

As for another WZ idea, it could be like arenas, except that it's 4 rounds of 1vs1s. A two minute battle takes place as the computer matches up two opposing players while the rest of the team watches.

Ok that's enough meta. How about An Actual Epic WarZone Idea:

You spawn into the Epic WarZone as a member of one of 3 factions: Jawa, Ortolan, or Ewok*. What follows is no holds barred objective-based combat. You play as a member of one of these races and have a stock generated NPC appearance. Much like in Huttball, you get a special ability to further the WZ objective, but here it's tied to your faction. Jawas can scavenge junk and resell droids on the gray market, Ewoks have mastery of armor-penetrating slings and hoopaks which totally devastate conventional military technology, and Ortolans play the xylophone. (I don't want to stereotype but according to a Hoth side quest Ortolans are also pretty good at maintaining machinery). Each faction has its own base and will attempt to overrun the others, or whatever else sounds good, you guys have all played more PVP than me. I can't wait to play this in 3.2!

Some notes:

1. 3 factions = win
  2. Restrict everyone to faction abilities only and remove their PC skills. Separate PVP and PVE skill trees = win
  3. Jawa vs Ortolan vs Ewok arenas? = EPIC WIN
  4. PVPers need to smile more

* If you want to substitute some other tiny NPC race that's cool too. But no Urgnaghts.

** I can't claim full credit for this idea. It was originally suggested a couple of weeks after launch by someone on reddit whose name I've long forgotten. In the original version the warzone involved objective play between 3 distinct factions, hence the different races. But if it would take too much development effort to do a scenario with 3 factions, you could have 2 teams but assign people to each team as follows: 2x Jawa, 2x Ortolan, 4x Ewok. OMG look, no more griping about "their team has more healers!".

*** I like the idea of an objective where your base has a droid or turret you can repair or guard while other people try to destroy it. That's not my original idea either and it could probably be done without Jawas or Ortolans, but it would be nowhere near as epic.

wz that incorporates npcs in one way or another i.e. malgus joins for imps once you accomplish some goal and wrecks ppl

wz that allows the usage of your speeder to cover larger distances

no guarding

changing map i.e fighting on lawa on platform having to jump from rock - rock to get to new platform (EV)

I'm missing the "win condition" if neither gets the holocron and manages to escape... I don't think a draw is very much fun so maybe points for unlocking terminals or something. Maybe someone else can come up win conditions in case of a draw. It's just a framework with a mixture of huttball, capture the flag, attack/defend. So anyone please feel free to chime in to flesh it out.

The match is set in a temple/ruins (whatever matches up with the game story at the time). The teams have been sent to recon a newly discovered ancient location that is believed to have information of strategic importance for whichever faction can control it. Upon arrival, the teams find themselves trapped inside and must escape with a holocron containing vital information.

To get the holocron and escape, they must unlock 3 terminals, each of which has a unique key. Each key is guarded by an NPC in a closed container. Keys work like Huttballs in that they can be passed, dropped (spiked), or stolen if the person carrying it is killed. This creates strategic gameplay opportunity as the NPCs break the channel and prevent the player from opening the container. Teams will have to either kill the NPCs or let the other team do it and then try to steal the key. Or they can try to hold the NPCs with a tank while another player does the channel, etc. When they pick up the key they have to match the color (the buff they receive, also can use a pillar of light marker like in Huttball) to a terminal. Key color is randomized and hidden until it is picked up. This changes up the strategy a bit because they don't know which terminal they need until they have the key.

Each terminal has to be channeled by the keyholder. Unlocking a terminal grants the player a stacking immunity against the radiation pool described below.

When all 3 terminals are unlocked, a pillar rises from the middle of the room, and the holocron is on top. The pillar is in a radioactive pool (like in Black Hole) and it ticks damage the same way. Put injectors (like the current PvP boosters for speed, health, etc) around the pool. If a player has immunity from unlocking a terminal they may not need an injector (depending on how many stacks they have). The holocron also works like a Huttball, so one player might chance getting to it without the injection and try to pass it to another player outside the pool. Once they have the holocron, they must carry it to the exit. The radiation puddle could expand over time until the 3 terminals are unlocked, so if nobody unlocks the doors the room floods and everyone dies.

One of the most common complaints I have (as a casual PvPer) is that everybody hates guarding nodes. It's an important part of the strategy in most matches, but nobody wants to do it (including me). So I think once the terminals are unlocked they should stay unlocked. That way everyone is always working to unlock the next terminal (both teams "attacking" at the same time. The reason you want to be the team that unlocks the terminals instead of waiting for the other team is that unlocking the doors grants immunity to the radiation pool.

Try to add NPC's to some warzones.

OC the lag will be the major issue, but a warzone about defend / assault a node from hordes of NPCs and other players can be the kind of fun this game lacks....something like "fake wpvp" warzone.

You can create 2 or 3 scenarios with that idea...

1) defending a convoy, keeping it alive reaching the other side of the map.

2) keeping a bunker from invasion defending small rooms and corridors (not like voidstar but more like AVP)

3) Survival modes with no rez ...

Hold The Crystal

Similar to the Calphayous phase 3 in HM Dread Palace, you pick up a crystal and it ticks you for damage as you hold it. You can hold it for a max of one minute, you gain points as you hold it, and you gain double the hold points if you max out the timer. Once the timer runs out, you either die, or go to 10% health and then it resets. The spawns for the crystal could be around the map, at multiple locations.

Overall Time

Around 10 minutes.

Gain 10 points per 10 second of holding

Gain 20 points if you hold it for a minute

(10 @ 10s, 20 @ 20s, 30 @ 30s, 40 @ 40s, 50 @50s, 70 @60s followed by the reset)

Score limit: 350

The fastest you could win is in 5 minutes if your team dominates and holds it for the full minute.

The Spawns

Players could have short respawns to make this a very fast pace game, it would be hard for the team that has the crystal to stay alive long.

Flaws

The one major flaw that i see with this type of gamemode is the ticks of damage while holding, This means you are not going to do well unless there is a healer in the warzone with you.

Simple tried and true ... capture the flag.

But, this WZ is big. Much bigger than the current WZs. Big enough so you can mount and it would take maybe 20-30s to go from one end to the other.

Two keeps, two flags, you have to interact with the enemy flag to grab it then you have to run it to your flag. Your flag must be on it's flagstand for you to score. First team to 3 caps wins.

I'm an old Tribes player, so CTF is my favorite game mode. :)

A moving King of the Hill is a game type we have talked about. We like the idea but one concern is that it might end up just being a moving dogpile where the whole team is fighting the entire enemy team, making the whole experience a cluster on one point. What do yall think?

I really like the moving King of the Hill idea. However, and I know this is going to sound a bit weird, it would be more interesting if there was less of an emphasis on DPS when not on the Hill. For instance, you have the Hill radius where all of the fighting is happening, and of course that would be a DPS spam fest. Understood.

But outside the radius of the Hill, make the gameplay objective focused where only CC and Snares are allowed. Any damage done to an opposing player outside the Hill radius would be reflected directly back to the player doing the damage. (I know some stuns and cc are accompanied by damage, but that damage wouldn't be so bad if reflected back as it's usually a small amount.) So the only way to obtain boosts/objectives would be to use CC, Snares or Traps.

A potential objective setup would involve boosts and other things available outside the Hill radius that would assist either team in attacking or maintaining control. Examples of boosts could be Full Team Heal boosts, Full Team Defensive boosts, even Full Resolve CC Immunity boosts that have to be carried by a player to their teammates within the Hill radius and activated there. Those boosts would last a limited duration and would need to be farmed by whomever controls the Hill to maintain their domination or by an attacker who wants to gain supremacy.

You could place the boosts and other objective items in locations surrounded by traps and other things that players could use to stimy or kill other players since they would be harmed by doing damage to a player directly. Also set up half the boosts/objectives in locations that would pop a stealthed player out of stealth, and require these objectives to be carried (like Orbs and the Huttball) out of stealth. It would therefore be just as fun acquiring the boosts and objectives as fighting for supremacy on the Hill. It would also give players respawning something fun to do aside from just running straight back to the mob.

• Dev Post
Isnt it a shame, that the PvP community is so morose, that they cant even take it seriously, when the devs want their thoughts?

However, this is my Idea:

MOBA style map, with the same objective: "The objective is to destroy the opponents' main structure with the assistance of periodically spawned computer-controlled units that march towards the enemy's main structure via paths referred to as "lanes" (wikipedia). While the classic moba consists of creeps and a jungle with mobs and both the PvPers and probably the engine wont like the, my suggestion would be to reduce it to just 1 lane with no NPCs, while still keeping the defending turrets. Question would be, if you actually had to destroy the turrets or cap them, since you need to cap everything in this game.

It would basically be like a Voidstar, where attacking and defending rounds are happening at the same time.

Now I wrote my suggestion. Guess I just waisted 15 minutes of my life for this, since this post wont matter anyway.

Interesting! Always liked the idea of a MOBA and MMO genre teaming up, it would be fun if done right I think. Would the turrets fire at attackers? If so how would the damage 'decrease' over the course of the warzone like they do in most MOBAs (via characters getting stronger items as the game goes on)? What would prevent players from avoiding each other to get to the last turret/final objective as fast as possible/before the other team?

• Dev Post
Hold The Crystal

Similar to the Calphayous phase 3 in HM Dread Palace, you pick up a crystal and it ticks you for damage as you hold it. You can hold it for a max of one minute, you gain points as you hold it, and you gain double the hold points if you max out the timer. Once the timer runs out, you either die, or go to 10% health and then it resets. The spawns for the crystal could be around the map, at multiple locations.

Overall Time

Around 10 minutes.

Gain 10 points per 10 second of holding

Gain 20 points if you hold it for a minute

(10 @ 10s, 20 @ 20s, 30 @ 30s, 40 @ 40s, 50 @50s, 70 @60s followed by the reset)

Score limit: 350

The fastest you could win is in 5 minutes if your team dominates and holds it for the full minute.

The Spawns

Players could have short respawns to make this a very fast pace game, it would be hard for the team that has the crystal to stay alive long.

Flaws

The one major flaw that i see with this type of gamemode is the ticks of damage while holding, This means you are not going to do well unless there is a healer in the warzone with you.

Ah yes Murderball! I like this game mode but as you alluded to it suffers from the whole team pocket healing one person and turtling.

How would turtling be prevented? How do we keep the crystal moving around? How do we make healers not OP in this game mode? For example, what if you couldn't be healed (like when you are in the Arena sudden death Acid Cloud) while you carried the crystal, good idea? Bad idea?

Something without the need to have a guard. Huttball is probably one of the most engaging WZ's you guys have created and I believe that's because it doesn't require a quarter of them team to be standing around doing nothing for 15 minutes like in NC, AC and AH (AH is the worst because you're instantly flamed for losing the node to a double sap cap). I don't really have anything specific in mind but I would like to see more WZ's that don't require a chunk of the team to just stand around doing nothing.

King of the hill type matches would be nice using the mechanics from AHG where kills charge a pylon or whatever except there is one neutral pylon that charges from both teams kills. Once your team has X amounts of kill you win the point and the hill moves.

Another feature I would like to see in a WZ is the removal of the guaranteed loss. In a few of the WZ's there is a point where no matter what you do a loss is inevitable or would be extremely unlikely to come back from. In AC once the score is n to (n/2-10) the game is pretty much over. A triple cap is needed at that point but if it's 450 - 215 it's very unlikely that a team would be able to maintain a trip cap that long to come back. If a stealther gets past you quickly in the first round of VS it puts you in a really bad spot.

So my ideal new WZ would be one where combat is the focus not who has more CC to cap a node, there isn't really a point where it's mathematically impossible to win and to not have it be requirement that 1-3 people on the team stand around away from the action doing nothing. King of the Hill and multi-flag CTF with the ability to steal flags back form the enemy team would be ideal.

Note: This is a serious, yet radical and open minded idea. You might not like it as a DEV, but as a long term player, you will greatly enjoy this one.

The Idea: Instead of a huttball, I want to use the lead manager at EA / BW head to toss around, why their heads specifically? Because they are in charge of letting this game die, and I think it's only fair to make things interesting.

The Game Mode: Swtor Forceball, similar to american football. 3 abilities per player, any class: force push the ball (aka long pass or kick), sprint, pass the ball. As an "EA" game this should be simple for you since you can copy paste from madden or Fifa like you did from World of Warcraft.

Please allow the forums to add to this idea.

EA/Madden ruined one of my favorite franchises. Now they are ruining one of my favorite IPs..

I want core fixes, not new maps. This "baby kissing/bone throwing" is lol and lots are just sucking it up. Very ironic considering the recent Early Access drop. Must just be a co-inkie... Right?:rolleyes:

EA/Madden ruined one of my favorite franchises. Now they are ruining one of my favorite IPs..

I want core fixes, not new maps. This "baby kissing/bone throwing" is lol and lots are just sucking it up. Very ironic considering the recent Early Access drop. Must just be a co-inkie... Right?:rolleyes:

You are about to have this post deleted