One planet is not an expansion

Darth-Rammstein

Just because you call it a CONTENT UPDATE doesn't mean it is one.

But if BW called it a content update does that carry more weight? Because back in those idealistic days in June that's how this content was described.

Edit: damn ninjas get everywhere these days:o

Edited by darklordpotter

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mmmm, THEY called it content update.

In fact it was specifically called "NON EXPANSION CONTENT UPDATE" rofl

You want to know why they called it like that, since you seem to dont know? Because IT IS ONE.

And now they call it an expansion. So we've now determined that they can call it whatever they want. Last summer it was a content update, at some point they realized that it was enough content to call it an expansion so they renamed it.

Is that really your only argument? Semantics?

The only thing that has any importance is whether people find value in the $10 cost. It doesn't matter if you call it a content update, an expansion, an adventure pack, DLC or anything else. The truth is neither you, me or anyone else aside from the developers knows at this point how much content there is. So go ahead and cry that one sentence in an interview 6 months ago was gospel and a promise of whatever you'd like to pretend was promised, it doesn't mean anything.

Buy it or don't buy it but stop with the silly semantic arguments and wait to see how much content there is and compare it to content that was sold in other MMOs and then decide if you think it's worth the money or not.

Edited by DaRoamer

And now they call it an expansion. So we've now determined that they can call it whatever they want. Last summer it was a content update, at some point they realized that it was enough content to call it an expansion so they renamed it.

The only thing that has any importance is whether people find value in the $10 cost. It doesn't matter if you call it a content update, an expansion, an adventure pack, DLC or anything else. The truth is neither you, me or anyone else aside from the developers knows at this point how much content there is. So go ahead and cry that one sentence in an interview 6 months ago was gospel and a promise of whatever you'd like to pretend was promised, it doesn't mean anything.

Buy or don't buy it stop with the silly semantic arguments and wait to see how much content there is and compare it content that was sold in other MMOs and then decide if you think it's worth the money or not.

Semantics? Do you even know what that means?

And, FYI, no company renamed content patch to expansion, and it seems that this is your first MMO and you dont have any prior experience on which to judge.

I know quite well what is and what isnt from my 10 years of playing various MMOs, thank you.

But if BW called it a content update does that carry more weight? Because back in those idealistic days in June that's how this content was described.

Edit: damn ninjas get everywhere these days:o

Their theory now is: nothing they said, say or will say carries any weight :D

Im teh ninja :cool:

Edited by GrandMike

Semantics? Do you even know what that means?

And, FYI, no company renamed content patch to expansion, and it seems that this is your first MMO and you dont have any prior experience on which to judge.

I know quite well what is and what isnt from my 10 years of playing various MMOs, thank you.

Yes, I'm quite aware of what the word means. Are you? Perhaps you'd like to define what separates a content update from an expansion? Because it seems to me that this has all the hallmarks of an expansion, new zones, level increase, new skills etc. It's also atypical of any content update we've had in the first year. No content update has provided any of the things they seem to be offering with Makeb. Yet people are calling it a content update seemingly simply because it referred as that in one interview during the summer.

So please provide your definition of what defines a content update and what defines an expansion.

As for my MMO experience (not that it matters) I've played Ultima Online, SWG, WoW, EQ2, Vanguard, Aion, Age of Conan, LOTRO, DDO, Guild War 1 & 2, Star Trek Online, The Secret World, TERA and SWTOR. I've purchased content packs and expansions in a number of those.

Yes, I'm quite aware of what the word means. Are you? Perhaps you'd like to define what separates a content update from an expansion? Because it seems to me that this has all the hallmarks of an expansion, new zones, level increase, new skills etc. It's also atypical of any content update we've had in the first year. No content update has provided any of the things they seem to be offering with Makeb. Yet people are calling it a content update seemingly simply because it referred as that in one interview during the summer.

So please provide your definition of what defines a content update and what defines an expansion.

As for my MMO experience (not that it matters) I've played Ultima Online, SWG, WoW, EQ2, Vanguard, Aion, Age of Conan, LOTRO, DDO, Guild War 1 & 2, Star Trek Online, The Secret World, TERA and SWTOR. I've purchased content packs and expansions in a number of those.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

It was multiple interviews with many people during E 3, Not just one. Oddly enough Mr. Jeff Hickman still referred to it as a large content update two months later, when they weren't sure IF they were gonna charge. It only became an expansion, when it had a price tag attached.:rolleyes:

I just wanted to make a small correction, It was not just one interview. E 3 is a massive event.

Edited by Taorus

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

In other words, you can't answer my questions. Figures.

I just wanted to make a small correction, It was not just one interview. E 3 is a massive event.

The point is, it doesn't matter what you call it. Content update or expansion. The question is whether it's worth your 10 bucks or not.

Edited by DaRoamer

In other words your post was answered soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many times by now that its pointless to explain ti to you....again.

Sure, if you don't feel you can provide a definition can you at least link the posts where someone else explains the clear delineation between what constitutes an "expansion" and what constitutes a "content patch"? Since it's been explained so many times you shouldn't have any trouble finding that.

Sure, if you don't feel you can provide a definition can you at least link the posts where someone else explains the clear delineation between what constitutes an "expansion" and what constitutes a "content patch"? Since it's been explained so many times you shouldn't have any trouble finding that.

Do it yourself rofl.

Because few posts after i do it, youll ask same question again...like you did gazzilion times before rofl.

Your tactic is NOT working lol

If you didnt get it by now....sorry bro

Edited by GrandMike

Do it yourself rofl.

Because few posts after i do it, youll ask same question again...like you did gazzilion times before rofl.

Your tactic is NOT working lol

Silly me, trying to bring logic and facts into the discussion. Maybe if I use more rofls and looooooooooooooooooooong words you'd understand my posts better. Oh, and I should EMPHASIZE words just so you know I'm making a serious point. Anyway, it's clear you have no clue what you're talking about so I'll just leave it at that.

Silly me, trying to bring logic and facts into the discussion. Maybe if I use more rofls and looooooooooooooooooooong words you'd understand my posts better. Oh, and I should EMPHASIZE words just so you know I'm making a serious point. Anyway, it's clear you have no clue what you're talking about so I'll just leave it at that.

Yes, you do that please so we can have a discussion without "but but but prove it to me...again" on every second page rofl.

Edited by GrandMike

One entire planet is not an expansion?

I take it you never played World of Warcraft.

Burning Crusade: Part of a mostly disintegrated planet.

Wrath of the Lich King: One continent.

Cataclysm: Several sub-areas of two continents that were available at launch. Two new sub-areas.

Mists of Pandaria: An island.

WoW is so much bigger it's not even funny. I'm laughing at you thinking outland or northrend is no bigger than Makeb. If anything Makeb is the size of 1-2 wow zones INSIDE of one of those continents.

Buy it or don't buy it but stop with the silly semantic arguments and wait to see how much content there is and compare it to content that was sold in other MMOs and then decide if you think it's worth the money or not.

Maybe you're unaware of this trend, but if you examine the quaterly financials of the biggest three games developers you'll notice something very surprising that would make any one who loves video games stop and think a moment.

Why are the marketing budgets of major game developers larger than their development budgets? Because they are trying to use human psychology to TRICK you into buying the worst product they can possible get away with. That's business as so many others are keen to point out. But as a consumer we need to be aware of that. They use marketing jargon and lingo and ploys. They use CGI trailers and "behind the scenes looks" they use every trick in the book in order to trick you into buying as crappy and cheap a product as they can get away with. That's business.

So when I hear labels thrown around like "content update" and "expansion" instead of thinking they added so much more value that a game that just went free to play because its content is literally worthless to the average consumer is now worth people spending money on it, I instead think of the difference between a "used car salesman" and a "certified preowned dealer." (The only difference is in the price and how much more people will pay for something that sounds a bit nicer even if reality says its a vastly inferior product.)

TLDR: Keep falling for obvious marketing ploys, I'll be in my bunk laughing my butt off.

To give you all a better idea of Makeb's scope, it's a planet of equal size to our larger planets and it contains a variety of areas – sprawling mesas, underground caverns, garden estates, and more. It introduces faction-specific storylines, new Heroic missions and bosses, repeatable mission series, and new Datacrons! The 5 new levels will occupy players for a fair amount of time, and there's plenty of content to get you there (including a lot of stuff tucked away for the explorers out there). Keep in mind that this announcement is just the start – as we approach Makeb's launch, you'll see more details about the content coming with Rise of the Hutt Cartel!

New datacrons....please, as long as we don't ahve to play Super Mario with them again. I'm fine with that.

But any word on when Legacy wide datacron unlocks will be coming?

I see that many of the people responding to this thread have already decided to buy the "expansion". I wonder; looking back at the planets that you have seen so far, which one(s) would you have paid $10 or $20 for if you had to as you leveled? Would you still be playing the game if you had to pay to unlock each planet as you leveled? I assume that you would all have been glad to paid, after all it is about the same as spend for (fill in the blank) every day, and $10 is not that much money anyway so why would't you have paid?

WoW is so much bigger it's not even funny. I'm laughing at you thinking outland or northrend is no bigger than Makeb. If anything Makeb is the size of 1-2 wow zones INSIDE of one of those continents.

Really? So you've seen the planet already? Why don't you tell us all this super-secret information that only you seem to have access to so we can all judge for ourselves?

Voss alone is as big as Northrend and no one except the Dev's involved know exactly how big and exactly what content will be added in.

One planet an expansion seems like a good idea, especially if it also involves additions to already existing planets. We've already seen things like BH and Section X added onto already existing planets, what makes you think this won't happen with this expansion?

Considering Hutta and Nar Shadaa are Hutt planets, logic would dictate that some of the expansion would involve areas added onto one or both of these planets.

Really? So you've seen the planet already? Why don't you tell us all this super-secret information that only you seem to have access to so we can all judge for ourselves?

Voss alone is as big as Northrend and no one except the Dev's involved know exactly how big and exactly what content will be added in.

One planet an expansion seems like a good idea, especially if it also involves additions to already existing planets. We've already seen things like BH and Section X added onto already existing planets, what makes you think this won't happen with this expansion?

Considering Hutta and Nar Shadaa are Hutt planets, logic would dictate that some of the expansion would involve areas added onto one or both of these planets.

Gabe stated that it was fully fledged and well on its way in september, JO said it was a large content patch in june, the doctors leave and hickman states hes unsure right after and aparently all info disapears. Section X plus hk costs a free to play player $14 whilst Makeb costs a free to play player $20 so you do the math.

Edited by Shingara

There is a post in the dev tracker by a mod talking about the size and scope of the planet, this is confirmed information, not hearsay or conjecture. Way to stay on top of information, you are totes informed and should def be listened to...

We know it's gonna be at best the size of hoth/tat. How that relates it to WoW expansions I have no idea personally.

Judge Makeb by it's size do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For it's make or brake point is the quality of the content contained on said planet, and a questionable track record with that BW has. :csw_yoda:

Judge Makeb by it's size do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For it's make or brake point is the quality of the content contained on said planet, and a questionable track record with that BW has. :csw_yoda:

QFT. I'm pretty new to the game, and although I am having fun, one of the biggest disappointments is how empty all of the planets and areas are. Its like they spent all this time making their planets huge, and filled them with...almost nothing. Its a massive turn-off having to go such long distances for a select few missions. I feel like I'm wasting my time just traveling. Putting my character on almost-constant auto-run just to get from mission to mission does not constitute a fun gaming experience.

And to compare a WoW expansion to this is a joke. Not only are any of the WoW continents many times larger than any planet in SWTOR, their expansions also include MUCH more content, balance improvements, and bug fixes.

Edited by Tommerbobby

True, in most MMO's, an expansion covers at most an eighth of a planet.

Well since we all love to compare with WoW all I can say is that one expansion in WoW covers a lot of stuff.

Normal patches covers new areas, dungeons and raids. Lets hope we don't need to pay for patches.

Well since we all love to compare with WoW all I can say is that one expansion in WoW covers a lot of stuff.

Normal patches covers new areas, dungeons and raids. Lets hope we don't need to pay for patches.

Comparisons with WoW are out the window at this stage. We got our wish, TOR is no longer a comparable product/pricing model.

Let's compare RotHC with comparable products. What does a typical LOTRO quest pack contain and what are it's price points?

Comparisons with WoW are out the window at this stage. We got our wish, TOR is no longer a comparable product/pricing model.

Let's compare RotHC with comparable products. What does a typical LOTRO quest pack contain and what are it's price points?

I don't play LotRO but I believe that their new packs are bought with the cartel equivalent.

excuse me for pointing this out but my sub here costs exactly the same as my sub on wow so the pricing is identicle, in that sense the like for like can be done and the scaling is done on the content to price scenario for bang to the buck on quantity delievered. As it stands we have no class storry, we have no companion story, we know we are getting one new ability and that is it.

We know that the planet is the size of alderaan for example but in relative terms that means if following normal rules that one planet is split in 2 for the factions with one side taking a half each to lvl through as they love to seperate us, we have no word on new operations nor on flashpoints. we dont know but we can believe there will be no new warzone and we can assume there is no new crafting skill, race or class combined in this price as it is relativly easy to asume cathar will be in the cartel market.

We can assume that they will be re-adjusting the already exisitng heroic modes for 55 and more then likly setting future nightmare modes of operations to 55.

We have no word of any mini games or social enhancments within this but if they were in you can bet we would have heard about it to try and get us to purchase it.

Edited by Shingara