Bioware please make weekly polls

Ayelinna

You want to find out what subscribers want?

Instead of question of the day, make polls about what your paying customers want.

For example:

What playable species would you like to see next?

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Seriously Bioware make a weekly poll with a few questions, or even one, find out what your subscribers want. Such a simple thing like polls can make so much difference, it gives the chance for you to see numbers, for the community to vote, and will improve your relationship with your subscribers, knowing that they are given the option to choose the future of this game...

How about...make the most voted example for free...the other 2 would be on the CM...and tradeable by players...

Hey folks,

Another reason is that you have to realize how much of a minority of players actually use the forums. Without looking at the actual numbers and guessing from the top of my head, I would say less than 5% of our subscribers use the forums regularly. Keep in mind that even less than that % would even answer the poll. That is a pretty tiny group of folks to let make actionable decisions on, which is why we use a lot of facets of data (including the forums) to make decisions, and not them alone.

-eric

Oh so thats why. The 5% of forum users don't matter.

Why should people who don't vote or use the forums get a say in this? And ruin it for the people who voted just because the majority didnt vote?

Edited by Ayelinna

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Polls are a slippery slope. No one will ever want the same thing, and the majority on the pole would win each time. If there is one constant certainty about MMO players: They don't have any CLUE what they want. 2M players could all want something different, and the BW has to gently let them all down. The WoW fan-site and MMO-Champs are good reasons why polls should never be used as a content gauge.

Polls are a slippery slope. No one will ever want the same thing, and the majority on the pole would win each time. If there is one constant certainty about MMO players: They don't have any CLUE what they want. 2M players could all want something different, and the BW has to gently let them all down. The WoW fan-site and MMO-Champs are good reasons why polls should never be used as a content gauge.

A bit like the 500cc we got? Yet that was given to us without poll or a choice...

Edited by Ayelinna

They should make polls on what kind of armor we want in the game.

That poll would likely have Gold Bikinis at the top of the list, followed by black on black ninja gear. Giving the public a voice is not always wise. Just look at the OP and her posts.

They should make polls on what kind of armor we want in the game. Presenting us some sketches, artwork and then asking which one we'd like. That would be sound.

Ha!

Imp poll:

Do you want armour with:

1) Spikes

2) Lots of spikes

3) More spikes

4) Spikes.

Rep Poll:

Do you want armour with:

1) Shoulderpads

2) Shoulder Pads

3) Pads in the shoulders

4) Padded shoulders.

Everything we've gotten in the game so far has been done without a poll. Your argument is invalid.

No its not. Ive just said the 500cc was given to us without a poll....essentially you are agreeing with me. My argument is perfectly valid.

But there really needs to be polls.

At the very least, forum polls would guarantee only subscribers get to vote.

That said, forum polls have very limited feedback use due to the minority participation of users that actually visit the forums.

Now in game polls when you log in... those would be useful. I remember SOE doing that with EverQuest very often between 2000-2004. One vote per account, presented to all active players, response required. Win win there.

No its not. Ive just said the 500cc was given to us without a poll....essentially you are agreeing with me. My argument is perfectly valid.

But there really needs to be polls.

Was there a poll about the new expansion? Or what kind of new items to add to the CM? Was there a poll somewhere asking to have Cathar made into a playable race? My point is, polls are subjective and seldom are they ever accurate. As much as it "sounds" like a good idea, it would be like asking an auditorium at an elementary school to all shout out what they want for lunch. Not exactly accurately assessing the demographic.

Now in game polls when you log in... those would be useful. I remember SOE doing that with EverQuest very often between 2000-2004. One vote per account, presented to all active players, response required. Win win there.

They have this ability (in-game polls). They used them quite extensively in beta. I think this would be a fantastic way to get feedback.

Edited by TUXs

They have this ability (in-game polls). They used them quite extensively in beta. I think this would be a fantastic way to get feedback.

I support the poll suggestion wholeheartedly...

But come on Tux....you know as we'll as I do the OPs post history speaks volumes and I've known you to nail lesser trolls for well...less :)

Stop playing devils advocate....

OP has made this thread for no other reason other than derailing it herself in order to make yet another dig at the subscriber gift...

Driz.

You want to find out what subscribers want?

I do not think this is the idea behind it. Moderators ask question in forums to give everyone an idea they actually care what people think or want. Polls on the other hand could be seen as binding. Someone may as one day about that pool from month ago and what is being done to implement the idea that won the day.

Very bad idea imo, besides question or pool, what's the difference? Also implementing pool into the software behind forum may actually require an effort.

Edited by ELRunninW

I support the poll suggestion wholeheartedly...

But come on Tux....you know as we'll as I do the OPs post history speaks volumes and I've known you to nail lesser trolls for well...less :)

Stop playing devils advocate....

OP has made this thread for no other reason other than derailing it herself in order to make yet another dig at the subscriber gift...

Driz.

Then don't feed him. You don't need to reply to this OP.

I didn't mind the gift myself, but it's kinda like your favorite restaurant giving you a $5 gift card for your next visit...it's self serving. Kind? Sure. Does it make me feel valuable? No.

I imagine the daily questions are here to show more interaction with the community but really the questions have become a bit lame. It use to be a yellow post appeared on a thread and it would gain 100 extra post in an hour. Now I don't even bother checking the question of the day.

I agree with the poll. I really want to get my species suggestions over the only issue I can see is how many polls will they have and would a poll like what is the next species, planet, class or speeder cause people to read into the poll they are working on this and will listen to the players. When BW see it as just a bit of fun and have no action to plan it.

Everything we've gotten in the game so far has been done without a poll. Your argument is invalid.

Not entirely true, we did pick the Party Jawa. BW used to take polls semi-regularly before launch and that input was supposed to matter to some extent. They're claiming to listen to customer feedback in other regards of the game. They've said they're going to ask us what species we want next out of 3, and it'll be Torgruta, which the community has also been asking for. I agree with you to the extent that polls shouldn't be the ultimate deciding factor on anything too big, but it would be a nice addition to provide more accurate feedback. As well as get a better feel for what direction BW is going.

Edit- We were also polled on how we would like our content/ expansions delivered as well. Monthly polls would probably be a bit more realistic though.

Edited by Inflicktion

I remember back in the day they did a few polls, where the community felt as if they mattered...

Before the dark times, before the Empire.

I'd be down for them again. :rak_03:

Edited by Pistols

Picking on me personally is the same thing as harassing. And you must be pretty creepy to get kicks out of picking on 15 year old girls over the internet.

Why would you bring your age into this? You're further derailing your own thread. Back on topic please.

That poll would likely have Gold Bikinis at the top of the list, followed by black on black ninja gear. Giving the public a voice is not always wise. Just look at the OP and her posts.

Thread winner.

I'm pretty sure I want combat amazings to stop hitching/ghosting though.

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Thought this might be a good place to explain our reasoning on why you don't see a lot of polls from us on the forums. Some of you have already covered some of them but I thought it would be good to get some yellow text behind it.

I think the first and most important thing is that by us posting a poll, folks will assume that the winner is guaranteed to see action. If we say "What species would you like to see in SWTOR?" and Togruta wins, in your example. Everyone will assume we are definitely going to add Togruta to the game. Unfortunately, it just wouldn't work that way.

Another reason is that you have to realize how much of a minority of players actually use the forums. Without looking at the actual numbers and guessing from the top of my head, I would say less than 5% of our subscribers use the forums regularly. Keep in mind that even less than that % would even answer the poll. That is a pretty tiny group of folks to let make actionable decisions on, which is why we use a lot of facets of data (including the forums) to make decisions, and not them alone.

One time where we have used polls, like for the Party Jawa, is when we already have plans in place to implement all of the relevant choices. The Party Jawa, which won the poll (on the forums and on Facebook) was given to players for appreciation, while the other two were still available but placed in the market.

I am not saying you will never see polls from us again, but they are tricky as players tend to take them as a guarantee, as opposed to just a tool to gauge opinion.

Hopefully that makes sense!

-eric