Should I join a Guild?

Sivartius

I've been playing casually and occasionally for a while, but since some bad experiences w/ GF near the beginning I've played almost entirely solo. During the Feast of Prosperity I started doing WB Ops & found I enjoyed it. This led to me thinking about joining a guild. The thing is I generally play for a while and then lose interest for a month at a time. I keep my subscription active, but wouldn't be participating during that time. I'm also a newb at MMOs having played solo & not really read tutorials. And I have only finished 4 class stories & haven't done any of the expansions. I have 1 lvl 75 character, 3 in the 50s, and 4 Imp characters I'm taking through the class stories. I don't want to be a disappointment to any Guild I join by only playing a couple hours every day, not knowing what I'm doing, and then disappearing for a month. Since I'm a newb at MMOs, I really don't know the level of commitment that is expected.

Yes, join a guild. Depending on the guild, being a casual player shouldn't matter. I'm in plenty of good guilds that don't mind that. If you are looking for CQ guilds, the biggest is sanctuary, they are always looking for people, but they've a strict 8 afk day policy, but you could join one of their alt guilds that are more relaxed, and just as populated, and when you return to the game, you can then ask to have a char put back in to the main guild while you are there, and return it to the alt when you know you won't be on much.

If you're just staying casual, just ask around on fleet, there are some good and casual ones there.

Certainly, there's a lot of casual guilds out there with no expectations play-wise. The guild that I'm in is such an example - no-one is compelled to do any content, log x amount of hours, be kicked out if they don't log in for a period of time etc. etc. This was a huge factor is my choosing them, that and the 'don't be a complete **** to anyone' rule :D

I've personally found it useful and has encouraged me, like you, to do things like WBs that I'd never have touched beforehand. I've even started doing group FPs again with them. And, if I'm not in the mood and want to play solo for a while then, that's just fine :-)

The level of commitment varies wildly from guild to guild.

Your best bet is to go to the 'Server' section of these forums and look for guilds looking for people on your particular server.

It's not really too much to worry about. Most guilds that have particular rules will tell you them up front.

There are lots of 'casual' guilds. There are also lots of 'dead' guilds. 😏

Overall, you're best to be in a guild - even a dead one - for the XP bonuses etc.

Yes, if you like guilds. Some guilds have no expectations of its member. The guild I am is one of those. Some of our members haven't logged on for awhile but they will not be kicked just because of not logging in. Just ask what the requirements are and if they don't mind you not logging on for months then that should be the guild that you would like.

Just remember that whatever guild you decide to join, it's not for life.

If you don't like a guild's culture, the demands that they place on their members, or whatever may turn you off,

/gquit is not a sin.

Everyone eventually finds the best place for them, and moving on to another guild is not a crime.

Nothing says you can't have toons in multiple guilds, either. For example, some days you might want to run harder content than others, and so you can hop onto a toon that you have in a guild that supports harder content. Other days when you're feeling brain dead and just want to send Shae Vizla into the Tythonian Gnarls to kill fleshraiders while you sit there watching while eating a bowl of ice cream, log into your casual no-demands guild.

Point is, you're not locked into a style of play for joining a guild when you can:

1. switch guilds

2. be in more than one at a time

Edited by xordevoreaux

Which brings me to another question. When Guild recruiters say they're a Roleplaying Guild, what do they mean? Do they mean they play story missions? That they stand aroiund posting paragraphs of in character dialog? How exactly DO you RP in an MMO?

Which brings me to another question. When Guild recruiters say they're a Roleplaying Guild, what do they mean? Do they mean they play story missions? That they stand aroiund posting paragraphs of in character dialog? How exactly DO you RP in an MMO?

Roleplayers do exactly that, they use their characters in game to tell stories. Not my style, but if you like that kind of thing, go for it.

I'd say yes to joining a guild, but I wouldn't go for a conquest guild, since they'll kick you for inactivity. If you're on Starforge, look for Pulled Porkins (pub) or Clowns of the Empire (Imp). We do raids and rampages but don't really care if you make conquest. It's a small guild, but we make enough points to get the large planet rewards every week, which is good enough for us.

Word of warning, though. If you're easily offended, don't bother. We're not for snowflakes. Otherwise, you're welcome with us. :D

Speaking as a roleplayer it would depend on what they type of roleplay they do.

Roleplay is different for each guild/person

(1) They use the game story as their roleplay and probably add to it.

(2) They take bits and pieces of the game and incorporated into their roleplay

(3) They ignore the game and create their own roleplay (based on Lore of course)

Now as to way they do it:

(1) They post in chat what is going on (following the story)

(2) They post in chat as what their charter is doing in game

(3) Forum roleplay-They take their roleplay to a specific forum and post that way as not to have a lot of chat in game especially if members are all doing their own thing and this way everyone is free to post when they can and it is reliant on everyone being in game or on at the same time.

Yes. Guilds can be very beneficial. Best thing to figure out is what you want out of a guild. Do you want the max xp bonus? Then make sure the guild is a high enough level that offers it. Want an active guild where tons of people are doing tons of activities? Join a large guild. The only downside with large guilds is the majority have an activity requirement (this many days before youre kicked for inactivity). Want a casual guild with low to no requirements? Check out the small to medium size guilds.

Someone posted earlier but I just wanted to reiterate. /gquit is not a sin. Quitting a guild you dont mesh well with is not a bad thing. There are 20 billion guilds out there. You may have to go through a few of them until you find the right one.

But trust me.... its worth it when you do. Thats how I met my husband and several of my best (IRL) friends.

Advice:

1) Ask lots of questions before joining a guild. That lets them know youre serious about finding a forever guild.

2) Ignore blind invites

3) If youre in a guild and you arent meshing well with guildies, talk to the officers first. They may have some insight to how they run the guild and if those guildies behavior is allowed. If it is, then /gquit.

Best of luck to you! :rak_03:

So a little more info: I'm on Setele Shan. I have 1 lvl 75 Shadow, 3 characters in their 50s, 4 Imp characters that I've leveled to 20 to get in on this event.

Is there a good resource for guilds? I went on http://www.swtorfancommunity.com, but there aren't many listed for my server & interests, & most don't have much info. I also don't know how current the info is.

I don't really care about xp rewards, my very limited experience is that I will always end up overleveled if I play both class & planet missions. I do want to help unlock & furnish a Stronghold & Flagship. I'd like to be able to find groups for occasional group content. I don't want to be part of something so big I get lost, but I also don't want to disappoint someone when I don't log in for a while. I'd also like to be able to find people who can teach me how to play. I might want to get into crafting eventually, but that's not too big a thing for me. I do want to have people I know to do events with.