Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mouse pointer goes crazy at times

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Mouse pointer goes crazy at times

sayNih
12.14.2019 , 05:42 PM | #11
Just some issues I've had:
- running SWTOR in admin mode and your mouse driver not
- letting Windows sleep the comm card on a laptop
""*

SylenThunder
01.13.2020 , 05:54 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
Keep in mind that this problem is related to the design of the mouse and the Windows drivers. It's not caused by SWTOR.
You may find that it only shows up in SWTOR for you, but that's mostly just a matter of what games you play. Lately, I don't get this happening in SWTOR as often as it does in TFC - Team Fortress Classic, a old first person shooter, capture the flag, mod for Half-life - which is about as different from SWTOR as you can get.
Considering that this issue has been reported as a bug for nearly 7 years, I'm going to have to beg to differ. It's obviously you don't have a background in development, or in troubleshooting.

If it were a hardware issue, it would be everywhere. The problem is most likely in the way that SWTOR is reading the input data from the device. Same with the other rare titles/mods you would be experiencing the issue in. It doesn't matter that they are "as different from SWTOR as you can get" because the issue relates not to the engine, but in how it is reading the data from the hardware.

It was suggested a couple of years ago that disabling the smart camera would fix this. (In fact, the ability to disable it was one of the implemented "fixes" for this issue.) In testing it seems to make it occur less, but the issue still persists. Particularly when you begin moving after being still for a moment. (A key detail that further shows it is not a hardware issue, but something inherent in the client code.)

JediQuaker
01.14.2020 , 07:46 AM | #13
Except for the minor fact that it happens in other games - such as TFC - as well.
🙂

Edit - it just occurred to me that this hasn't happened to me in SWTOR for quite a while, but it still happens regularly in TFC.
Getting a new, proper mousepad helps.
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

GaBacon
01.15.2020 , 12:48 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
Except for the minor fact that it happens in other games - such as TFC - as well.
🙂

Edit - it just occurred to me that this hasn't happened to me in SWTOR for quite a while, but it still happens regularly in TFC.
Getting a new, proper mousepad helps.
... Seeing as this is the only game it has EVER happened in and has happened for years to me and other people AND that it has happened on different systems and mice that i have owned i will go out on a not-so-large limb and say it is SWTORs issue.

JediQuaker
01.15.2020 , 09:17 AM | #15
Um, but no, it's not the only game this happens in. It may be the only game it happens to you in, but . . .

You simply need to google "mouse randomly looks up" and you'll get lots of results from Steam, Overwatch, etc.
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

GaBacon
01.15.2020 , 09:22 AM | #16
I may have been confused, im sorry. i thought you were saying to me, as the OP, that this happens in other games also as far as mine go. Meh all i know is that it is bothersome haha. Seems to happen most in PvP tho it seems. hmm