Will Newbies PLEASE Level Up!

Eoinol

So I'm leveling up my last two characters.

No matter what faction I am on, I always do every mission, main purple, side & Heroic missions on my first and second planets.

I pick the side missions I want after that, but this way I have leveled up enough to survive on planet 3 and I have credits to upgrade my gear if I want.

I see far too many newbies that are far too low to be on a planet & they get wiped out, cry and say the game is crap.

I was on Balmorra where a level 29 was getting wiped out, just trying to get to the first mission. Yes, he could survive, but life was A LOT harder for him.

Newbies PLEASE Level Up on the correct planet, do every mission, main purple, side & Heroic missions on my first and second planets and upgrade your gear a little until you start getting gear drops.

Newbies PLEASE Level Up on the correct planet, do every mission, main purple, side & Heroic missions on my first and second planets and upgrade your gear a little until you start getting gear drops.

To be the "right'" level for a planet, all that's needed is the full set of class missions and the purple-triangle <Story Arc> missions on each planet. All that other stuff will put the character significantly over-level.

When I start a new character (and I am long way from being a newbie p) I will do all the class story/planet on the starter planets and the heroics but after that I just do the class story and the heroics. I have done those planetary missions enough to know I am not doing them again and I don't really need to I am already over leveled by the time I hit a new planet.

To be the "right'" level for a planet, all that's needed is the full set of class missions and the purple-triangle <Story Arc> missions on each planet. All that other stuff will put the character significantly over-level.

Maybe you are overlevel if you do it right, I've met a few crying newbies in the last few days, getting swamped on the higher planets, hence the post.

I think that because they are not doing the missions, they are not getting the gear drops, so under geared.

Maybe you are overlevel if you do it right, I've met a few crying newbies in the last few days, getting swamped on the higher planets, hence the post.

I think that because they are not doing the missions, they are not getting the gear drops, so under geared.

It's usually because they've done no side/exploration/heroic missions, and they've skipped one or more planets' worth of <Story Arc>. When they were discussing how XP would work in 4.0, one of the BioWare peeps (I think it was Eric, but it might have been Charles) explained that the XP quantities were set up so that a subscriber's character would stay "at level" using *just* the class stories and the <Story Arc> missions and no XP boosters, I think. That is, such a character would finish the main class story and be ready to go to Ilum at level 50.

Not long after 4.0 was released, I was doing class story on the surface of Quesh, and there was a shout in /general because someone could not take the shuttle. I told him to go to the medical NPC with the mission. He couldn't find it, so I went up and showed him. He was level 30, and the NPC would not give him the mission. I told him that he needed to go back to earlier planets and complete a bunch of missions in order to be about level 35. And it's a recurring theme, almost a SWTOR meme, with people who get stuck in the later parts of Tatooine because they can't scratch NPCs because they are only level 23 or so, having skipped lots of missions.

There may also be gear issues, of course.

I've run a couple of characters through the vanilla stories recently. I've got the armor that gives the XP bonus from the Dark Vs Light event. Using that and XP boosts I can do just the class story and be around level 50 by the time I've finished Corellia. It's usually not a problem for me because I've been playing for years, but if you don't understand the game it can cause troubles.

This is the first (and only) MMO I've played and I remember my very first character. I got off Courscant, got my ship then got the option to go to either Nar Shaddaa or Taris. I picked Nar Shaddaa, not realising I was supposed to go to Taris first. I got most of the way through Nar Shaddaa before I asked someone for help and they said I was under levelled. Then I learnt to look at the planets on the galaxy map on your ship to see what level they recommend for that planet lol.

This is something which will always be there. Its like people who buy a Ferrari and then crash it into the first pillar cause they couldn't handle the car. They will say the car is ****, but its actually them who wont take the hint.

If people whine about this then they just shouldn't play the game. On the other hand there are just many players in the game for years who dont know basic stuff so.....

This is something which will always be there. Its like people who buy a Ferrari and then crash it into the first pillar cause they couldn't handle the car. They will say the car is ****, but its actually them who wont take the hint.

If people whine about this then they just shouldn't play the game. On the other hand there are just many players in the game for years who dont know basic stuff so.....

wow if people whine they shouldnt play the game thats got to be one of the callous and egotistical things ive read. excuse the **** out of people if they want to have fun without carng about maxing out stats. just about everyone on this thread sounds like a stuck up elitist. this is a game people want to have fun if you dont like the questions players are asking then theres always the ignore button but making a post about new players not being powerful enough is insane. you sound like more of a whiner than they do. theyve got nothing to do with your guild rankings or anything else with your missions smh

To be fair newbies are just that, newbies. They're not always reading all the guides and they don't always know what they need to do. Cut them a break.

Now when I play new charcters I'm using the boosts, buying the legacy perks and doing all the missions on the starter planets. I have my crafters set up a full set of mods for them through level 60 and they keep that in their inventory so they're always ready to upgrade their weapons.

But...when I played my first character I died about six times from one minor droid in Tulak Hord's tomb and I walked around with my first un-modded lightsaber until Tatooine because I didn't realize I could put mods in it. Not reading, not knowing the ropes, all of the above. I got the hang of things, and so will the newbies coming in now.

To be fair newbies are just that, newbies. They're not always reading all the guides and they don't always know what they need to do. Cut them a break.

Now when I play new charcters I'm using the boosts, buying the legacy perks and doing all the missions on the starter planets. I have my crafters set up a full set of mods for them through level 60 and they keep that in their inventory so they're always ready to upgrade their weapons.

But...when I played my first character I died about six times from one minor droid in Tulak Hord's tomb and I walked around with my first un-modded lightsaber until Tatooine because I didn't realize I could put mods in it. Not reading, not knowing the ropes, all of the above. I got the hang of things, and so will the newbies coming in now.

Haha, I know what you mean. I remember in the beta trying to do a heroic 4 mission on Ord Mantell by myself and wondering why it was so hard. Took me longer than I cared to realise I needed to augment my gear for the best results as well.

I didn't do any reading and a game like this you really do, more from the point of view that other players get angry at you for not knowing things on your first playthrough. There's been times when I've been using group finder to do an op I've never done before (which is a lot of them) and instead of letting me know what the mechanics of a fight are they just say read up on it or kick you from the group for not knowing.

Edited by HaltHammerzeit

I'm not hassling newbies, if you read my post I said,

"I see far too many newbies that are far too low to be on a planet & they get wiped out, cry and say the game is crap"

This is all I'm saying ... ranting in chat that the game is crap, too hard, unplayable ... all because they didn't level up correctly by just doing the missions offered to you.

I've leveled alts to 70 using nothing but gear drops, no extra mods, but I did all the missions and it made the difference.

For example, I just started a new Merc, when I finished Hutta Story, I had armour that was a max of 93 from drops, I did the Heroics, most of my gear jumped to 200+.

This makes a huge difference when I travel to Dromund Kaas.

I was on Balmorra where a level 29 was getting wiped out, just trying to get to the first mission. Yes, he could survive, but life was A LOT harder for him.

This really threw me for a second until I realized you meant republic Balmorra. Yes, that would be tough.

A few months ago a guildie whispered me for help going through his Smug class story on Corellia. I figured, sure why not. When I was a newbie I asked for help to get through the Lightspring mission on Tat because I was underleveled. That was during 2.0 when xp was harder to come by.

Anyway this guy was level 41 doing the second or third mission in the Corellia class quest chain. At that level, you couldn't have done the first part, or for that matter, completed Voss. Meaning he'd had guildies help for the last several missions. I helped him, but gave him the same advice the thread has given, that he should go back and do some quests. I also inspected his gear and saw he had mostly lvl 30 looted greens on. I took him back to fleet and bought him a complete set of lvl 38 and lvl 42 green mods and mailed them to him [he left and I got tired of waiting for him to securetrade]. I also gave him about 100k. He whispered me not long after and I told him I'd sent the stuff. The only thing he said was 'How many mods did you send?'

I haven't seen him online since, and I think I've used up my supply of good deeds for this game for the rest of the year. Nobody ever did something like that for me when I was leveling, the most I got was tips on how to tank properly and a suggestion to use the 5 weekly pvp matches F2P get to supplement my xp, and I was extremely grateful.

Edited by Ardrossan

Nobody ever did something like that for me when I was leveling, the most I got was tips on how to tank properly and a suggestion to use the 5 weekly pvp matches F2P get to supplement my xp, and I was extremely grateful.

I feel your frustration, I help newbies a lot, but I won't part with credits unless they are a sub of mine or I chat with them for a few days ... same as you, once bitten.

I used to keep speeders in my inventory when starting a new alt, so I could send them to a newbie I'd met, speed up getting off planet ... stopped doing that fairly quickly :)