Consular or Inquisitor?

Hologlide

Hi :)

Im going to make a new character and I narrowed it down to consular or an inquisitor.

I don't care that much about story/companions but which one has the better animations/gameplay?

Also what advanced class should I choose, sin/sorc, shadow/sage?

Im going to make a new character and I narrowed it down to consular or an inquisitor.

I don't care that much about story/companions but which one has the better animations/gameplay?

I prefer Shadow/Sin more than Sage/Sorc, as the Shadow/Sin has a good combination of saber and force attacks, which is important to me.

Sage/Sorc gets the one handed lightsaber, but doesn't actually use it. :/ Just not fun for me, but maybe you have a problem with the double-bladed lightsaber?

Animations...telekinetic force or lightning force. That will depend on you.

While it doesn't matter to you, I'd have to give the story to the Inquisitor, but I enjoy them both.

Story points definitely go to the Quisy. Full of Sith politics and intrigue. And it doesn't matter if you go Light Side or Dark Side to get the full effect, but going one or the other will have some impact on your story. The Consular story is very political, but it's more on normal politics rather than Jedi politics. And Dark Side choices almost seem largely ignored.

While I'll agree with above and say the Shadow/Assassin gameplay feels better and more fun (mostly because I was a Sentinel fanatic back in the KotOR days,) the stories almost seem to exclusively believe you are a Sage/Sorcerrer. Some things almost seem to be designed strictly with the spell casters in mind, and are either much, much easier as a melee or much, much harder.

Companions, well, you start with a "monster" tank that doesn't talk Basic, so if that annoys you, well, you're not going to fix it any time soon. I believe the Consular gets their healing companion first, so there are points there if you want to be a Tank. Sorcerer does get TWO Force-user companions, which is pretty unique.

Story points definitely go to the Quisy. Full of Sith politics and intrigue. And it doesn't matter if you go Light Side or Dark Side to get the full effect, but going one or the other will have some impact on your story. The Consular story is very political, but it's more on normal politics rather than Jedi politics. And Dark Side choices almost seem largely ignored.

While I'll agree with above and say the Shadow/Assassin gameplay feels better and more fun (mostly because I was a Sentinel fanatic back in the KotOR days,) the stories almost seem to exclusively believe you are a Sage/Sorcerrer. Some things almost seem to be designed strictly with the spell casters in mind, and are either much, much easier as a melee or much, much harder.

Companions, well, you start with a "monster" tank that doesn't talk Basic, so if that annoys you, well, you're not going to fix it any time soon. I believe the Consular gets their healing companion first, so there are points there if you want to be a Tank. Sorcerer does get TWO Force-user companions, which is pretty unique.

Agreed on that. Storylines do seem to favor the Sage/Sorc, though with the Inquisitor, I feel there's a little more leeway on the Sin side of it (can feel a bit Tomb Raider/Indiana Jones). Consular never truely feels like it was okay for Shadow and a lot of dark side options just don't make sense (imo).

Story goes to the Inquisitor, hands-down. YMMV on whether it is well-written but it's certainly entertaining. The story can support Dark/Light variety much better than Consular can from what I've heard. Consular is a well-regarded Jedi while the Inquisitor is conscripted and can be anyone.

In leveling, Inquisitor also benefits from being a caster who gets a really good tank as their first companion. You never find yourself wishing for something else. Does not apply if you want to Assassin tank, of course.

I agree with the determination that a lot of things are build around the idea you are the spellcaster advanced class. Sith-side, all the Act bosses are hard if you have to get in their face. A Sorcerer can beat them all while being underleveled.

I'm not sure what would recommend the Consular except if your server has a weak Imp population.

Edited by Canareth

The gameplay will be the same for Inquisitor vs Consular. The animations are different.

I think the Inquisitor animations are much cooler looking (honestly, why wouldn't you want to shoot lightning from finger tips?). I think the Consuler ones are much less visible so they are better for PVP.

I would recommend a Sorc instead of an assassin first. Both are excellent, but range is favored for high end ops and all Sorc trees are a little easier to play than Assassin's.

If gameplay is your only concern, you definitely want a Sith Assassin. First off, Assassins excel at PvE content. Your stealth will allow you easy access to most areas and serve as a useful escape in dangerous confrontations. Second, you have the option to spec tank if you want an easier time getting picked for group content. Thirdly, Assassins play a little more uniquely than other MMO tanks / rogues, which I feel makes for more interesting gameplay.

Visually, Assassins have beautiful attack animations. Lightning is far more intimidating than rocks and it's a spectacle to behold an assassin twirling around her double-bladed lightsaber, which seems so much more appropriate on a Sith than a Jedi.

Just pick one Adv Class for Rep and the other for Imp.

I went Sin/Imp Sage/Rep though I must say....

The Republic version was SOOOO UNDERWHELMING and just boring compared to SI and I felt they missed a huge opportunity for an epic story.