Loot Rules

Just a suggestion, putting in here since the problem is usually going to be seen in instances.

Can we please have some eligibility logic put into the loot system? To stop the following happening...

Last night I did a random HM. Me and another Inquisitor, a Warrior and an Agent. On the final boss an item dropped that was Inquisitor only (and the republic equivalent) - a bracers token I think it was. The warrior Needed and won it. I Greeded since it wasn't an upgrade but the other SI needed it. Now the warrior has a useless token that I'm not even sure is worth any vendor credits and the other SI is still in low level bracers.

This sort of thing is going to get a lot worse now that the finder tool is live. Same thing happened in WoW when they added the dungeon finder. People think they have a degree of anonymity so don't care about screwing people over.

Just something that auto-passes you if you're not the right class is all it needs. I'm only talking about the stuff that's actually locked to specific classes, not "that's a tank item not a dps item" or "you don't need crit" conflicts (which is another discussion for another day).

Just a suggestion, putting in here since the problem is usually going to be seen in instances.

Can we please have some eligibility logic put into the loot system? To stop the following happening...

Last night I did a random HM. Me and another Inquisitor, a Warrior and an Agent. On the final boss an item dropped that was Inquisitor only (and the republic equivalent) - a bracers token I think it was. The warrior Needed and won it. I Greeded since it wasn't an upgrade but the other SI needed it. Now the warrior has a useless token that I'm not even sure is worth any vendor credits and the other SI is still in low level bracers.

This sort of thing is going to get a lot worse now that the finder tool is live. Same thing happened in WoW when they added the dungeon finder. People think they have a degree of anonymity so don't care about screwing people over.

Just something that auto-passes you if you're not the right class is all it needs. I'm only talking about the stuff that's actually locked to specific classes, not "that's a tank item not a dps item" or "you don't need crit" conflicts (which is another discussion for another day).

no.... and no.

i havent really had this problem (i once got grouped with 3! sith sorcs on group finder and simply passed on all the light armor) i will likely pass it unless, say, it is an upgrade leaps and bounds above something on vette, quinn, or jaesa, in which case i simply greed it, because really, i can always search for an upgrade for companion gear on the gtn.

but if you need on something class locked, unless you are that class, i do not think you should get that item.

simply remove the "need" button on items that are class locked unless you are that class.

So you prefer people taking stuff meant for you that they can't use? Interesting....

Need is for main spec, greed is for offspec. He was a douchebag and needed it. We dont need a system to police need/greed. People that need everything always gets whats coming to them.

i havent really had this problem (i once got grouped with 3! sith sorcs on group finder and simply passed on all the light armor) i will likely pass it unless, say, it is an upgrade leaps and bounds above something on vette, quinn, or jaesa, in which case i simply greed it, because really, i can always search for an upgrade for companion gear on the gtn.

but if you need on something class locked, unless you are that class, i do not think you should get that item.

simply remove the "need" button on items that are class locked unless you are that class.

This is exactly what I mean. Only the items that are locked to a particular class.

Watch how many ninjas start coming out the woodwork now we've got the finder.

Need is for main spec, greed is for offspec. He was a douchebag and needed it. We dont need a system to police need/greed. People that need everything always gets whats coming to them.

This isn't a hard concept since I don't know why you seem to think it is fine and dandy as is.

WoW instituted a 'cannot roll need on items you can't effectivly use' for a reason, because there ARE people out there (a large number actually) who will roll need even if they have exactly ZERO use for an item, just cause they can.

Light armor should only be available as a Need roll to LIGHT armor wearers.

Same with medium, same with heavy.

Tokens for gear should be only Need for the classes that are listed.

It is simple enough to go "hey STR item, only needable by STR classes" and the like.

All loot still has greed button.

Believing that karma and 'it will come back at them' is fine and dandy, but that doesn't make loot magically appear back to someone who actually could have used it.

Edited by Shatteredstar
Hurr

While I agree in principle that loot should go to those mainspec characters that need it most, I can and do use companions for a great deal of my leveling. Companions can use drops even if they are bound to the main character. And I have a companion for every drop that appears in a flashpoint. What you are suggesting would eliminate the possibility of players being able to buff their companions as they move through main quests. Not everyone plays swtor just to join groups or PvP.

I think it's the "nice" thing to do pass/greed on stuff your character doesn't need. I do that, but I also can see the other side. What if that player is doing that HM/OP with the sole purpuse of gearing up a companion, for example ?

If you see it as "your character" vs. "someone else's companion" yeah, ofc the former is more important.

But that's not the only way to see it. You could just look at it as people's time and effort. Everybody is the same. They all are behind their computers doing whatever is needed to get through the instance. No one can claim they have more right than the next one for whatever stuff is dropped.

A slightly different example. I did a raid a while back. One of my guildies decided to gear up a bit one of his alts. But when the time came, oops.... no, the op leader told him that he couldn't roll on stuff because people's mains had priority. I understand the reasoning behind it, but that sucked regardless. He worked just as hard as everybody else and got shafted because some sort of arbitrary reason.

How loot is handled is a delicate matter and ideally everything should be talked to and agreed on, but can be hard to do in a pug. You don't truly know what are other people's motives.

While I agree in principle that loot should go to those mainspec characters that need it most, I can and do use companions for a great deal of my leveling. Companions can use drops even if they are bound to the main character. And I have a companion for every drop that appears in a flashpoint. What you are suggesting would eliminate the possibility of players being able to buff their companions as they move through main quests. Not everyone plays swtor just to join groups or PvP.

Then you should Greed it. This does not eliminate your ability to gear your alts.Why would you NEED a agent item for MAKO when an agent is in the group. You are exactly why NEED should be limited to the class the drop is for.

Well, actually it does in fact qualify as a 'need' given that none of my companion characters currently has any armor or weapons of any kind. They all needed to be sold off to rebuild cash and repair after an ill-advised and premature run at a major boss. So now I need new gear - a lot of different kinds of gear. While your point makes sense if you predominantly play groups where companions don't factor in, it doesn't mesh with a significant amount of gameplay.

Unless the devs change it, you're just going to continue to be frustrated. I had a team mate rage-quit a while back over it. If they had just asked I would have done a transfer through the ops. Instead they started a profanity-laced tirade. Sorry - they lose. Civility wins out with a good majority of players here. On the other hand, I like the idea of adding a companion button. Keep in mind too, that there are probably a lot of people new to playing in groups at all with the new system. Etiquette will take a while to work out.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

I can feel the hate swelling in you now . . .

Well, actually it does in fact qualify as a 'need' given that none of my companion characters currently has any armor or weapons of any kind. They all needed to be sold off to rebuild cash and repair after an ill-advised and premature run at a major boss. So now I need new gear - a lot of different kinds of gear. While your point makes sense if you predominantly play groups where companions don't factor in, it doesn't mesh with a significant amount of gameplay.

Unless the devs change it, you're just going to continue to be frustrated. I had a team mate rage-quit a while back over it. If they had just asked I would have done a transfer through the ops. Instead they started a profanity-laced tirade. Sorry - they lose. Civility wins out with a good majority of players here. On the other hand, I like the idea of adding a companion button. Keep in mind too, that there are probably a lot of people new to playing in groups at all with the new system. Etiquette will take a while to work out.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

I can feel the hate swelling in you now . . .

If you needed an item for your companions and you were in my group, I would put you on ignore (so I would never have to group with you again) and I would leave the FP/ OP so you would not get Credit for the BH comms. Then YOU and YOUR companions could go figure how to complete the dailies by yourselves.

I would rather not have restrictions put in place. "Need" has a lot of different definitions and ranking them is not easy. The main deterrent will be vote kick and ignore. People that regularly abuse the need roll will soon find themselves with longer and longer queue times. In addition, the tool is server-only so reputation will matter. If there is a particular item you are looking for I highly suggest negotiating before it drops to prevent any drama.

One thing that would be nice is a 1 hour window to trade bound items. This goes a long way to correcting mistakes and (if BioWare is listening) cutting down the number of CS tickets.

In my opinion, what should be implemented is a loot system that is based on your main Stat and Armor type. That way if a heavy piece with Aim drops, then only BH/Trooper can roll need, other classes only greed. It would make the most since.

People think they have a degree of anonymity so don't care about screwing people over.

I wouldn't mind restricting need, but until then keep in mind that this is not WoW with cross-realm LFD. People do NOT have anonymity here. After the FP is done you're all spit out back onto the same fleet still in party!

So don't let people get away with stuff! Ask them not to need on other class' armor over another player. If they are rude you can talk to their guild. You can warn your guild. At the very least you can put them on ignore and never see them again. Don't let this behavior slide, or shrug your shoulders and sigh, and restrictions on needing might be... unneeded.

Could also discuss any loot rules up front. If you don't like what's discussed you can always leave before wasting any further time.

One of the groups I was in said it was find to need for companions.

Could also discuss any loot rules up front. If you don't like what's discussed you can always leave before wasting any further time.

One of the groups I was in said it was find to need for companions.

Everything should be disscussed and agreed on.

Like I said few posts above, is not your character the one doing the work. There's a player behind it and everybody is investing the same time and effort than everybody else. From that point of view, does someone has more right to stuff than the other ? And let's be honest, we're talking about pugs. How many people do those for their own reasons and how many to gear the other players ?

Everything should be disscussed and agreed on.

Like I said few posts above, is not your character the one doing the work. There's a player behind it and everybody is investing the same time and effort than everybody else. From that point of view, does someone has more right to stuff than the other ? And let's be honest, we're talking about pugs. How many people do those for their own reasons and how many to gear the other players ?

You are absolutely right about talking about loot before hand. Not too sure what you mean at the end of your question but I have noticed quite a few guilds getting a 4 man geared pre made for story mode ops and helping 4 others through it.

I have done this with my guild i get the newest 50's grab up 4 of them and get 4 of my most geared guys and then que up for group finder with them. Get into our instance and help them through it. Helps harbor a good community on servers.

You are absolutely right about talking about loot before hand. Not too sure what you mean at the end of your question but I have noticed quite a few guilds getting a 4 man geared pre made for story mode ops and helping 4 others through it.

I have done this with my guild i get the newest 50's grab up 4 of them and get 4 of my most geared guys and then que up for group finder with them. Get into our instance and help them through it. Helps harbor a good community on servers.

I was mostly talking about the FPs. A lot of people with decent gear stopped doing them. Now some came back to them for the BH comms, maybe gear their companions. And the new 50s, well, they need gear and BH comms. My point is, in a pug, everybody is there for their own convinience and everybody's time worths the same. Is the nice thing to do to pass/greed on stuff ? Sure. Is it wrong if you don't ? I don't think so.

Gearing up new 50s within the guild is a totally different matter. We've done that ourselves, even before 1.3. Story mode Ops are more rewarding in terms of invested time/drops, so that's the best way to do it.

Need (locked to class)

Companion (just above greed, lets people greed if they don't care whether their companion gets it or not so they don't have to pass if someone goes "can I have this for my companion?")

Greed (for everyone)

Which is what people have been saying since beta.

Need (locked to class)

Companion (just above greed, lets people greed if they don't care whether their companion gets it or not so they don't have to pass if someone goes "can I have this for my companion?")

Greed (for everyone)

Which is what people have been saying since beta.

Where does, "I wanna rip out the Enhancement because my class gear has horribly itemised stats" fit in that scale?

Hopefully loot can just be discussed and agreed upon.

In a recent group I did, someone was needing on things uneccesarily. Someone asked him to only need on class based gear, after which he did, and the rest of the FP went smoothly.

Someone that would ignore that request and require enforced cooperation isn't going to be a good teammate anyway.