GSF more LIKE galactic lock on starfighter

eaglenmf

Let me start by staying I love and am addicted,but 1 thing is ruining this everybody is slotting lock on missiles to point now where its constant beep beep use lock on shake skill beep beep dead!

Talk about the cheesiest way to get kills where as shooting is somewhat harder.

Please make only 1 class available to missiles or make their use wire guided or something!!!

Tis killing this game for many I have spoke to now.

Maybe its just a few select few who feel like this while the rest of you are happy locking on to your hearts content.:(

1.) Lasers do vastly more DPS than missiles.

2.) Lasers are quicker to use

3.) Lasers are harder to dodge

4.) missile come in two types: quick and weak or very slow and decently high damage - regardless a few laser hits beats the damage.

5.) breaking the LoS of the attacker is easy, thus missiles aren't much to worry about

So why aren't you complaining about the lasers?

1.) Lasers do vastly more DPS than missiles.

2.) Lasers are quicker to use

3.) Lasers are harder to dodge

4.) missile come in two types: quick and weak or very slow and decently high damage - regardless a few laser hits beats the damage.

5.) breaking the LoS of the attacker is easy, thus missiles aren't much to worry about

So why aren't you complaining about the lasers?

To be fair, while lasers are better DPS, they also require someone to be in close range and they aren't "burst" damage the way that a missile is. Missiles and rail guns share the qualities of being able to be used from a distance and being able to knock off a big chunk of shields and/or hull at once. It can also be argued that getting away from a laser attack is simpler, since your HUD makes you aware of exactly where your opponent is in a dogfight and won't do the same for a longer-ranged attack.

To be fair, while lasers are better DPS, they also require someone to be in close range and they aren't "burst" damage the way that a missile is. Missiles and rail guns share the qualities of being able to be used from a distance and being able to knock off a big chunk of shields and/or hull at once. It can also be argued that getting away from a laser attack is simpler, since your HUD makes you aware of exactly where your opponent is in a dogfight and won't do the same for a longer-ranged attack.

I think the problem most people will have them and be noticing them for, is the fact that lock-on missiles are most likely to be used against hulls because of lock-on time.

*starts locking on opponent

*starts firing lasers

*shields go down

*lock-on finishes(after 2.6-3 seconds, more if using proton torps)

*missile is fired at unshielded opponent

I think the problem most people will have them and be noticing them for, is the fact that lock-on missiles are most likely to be used against hulls because of lock-on time.

*starts locking on opponent

*starts firing lasers

*shields go down

*lock-on finishes(after 2.6-3 seconds, more if using proton torps)

*missile is fired at unshielded opponent

That's the point.

To be fair, while lasers are better DPS, they also require someone to be in close range and they aren't "burst" damage the way that a missile is. Missiles and rail guns share the qualities of being able to be used from a distance and being able to knock off a big chunk of shields and/or hull at once.

I guess you haven't purchased one of the heavier primary weapons. The quad lasers for an example will take any target down in a matter of seconds, while your missile user is still half way through the induction.

It can also be argued that getting away from a laser attack is simpler, since your HUD makes you aware of exactly where your opponent is in a dogfight and won't do the same for a longer-ranged attack.

The moment an attacker opens up with lasers (if they have decent aim) they will get a good 3 hits at least. That is around 700 damage per. While the moment a missile's induction is targeted all they have to do is break the line of sight.

So in other words the attacker using lasers give no warning and instant damage, while the missile user warns them they intend to do damage in the near future.

Yeah I'm not saying they're OP or anything, I'm just saying people notice them because they're usually the hit that finishes them or the second to last hit that finishes them. That's how I kill people anyways.

I think what bugs people is that they don't necessarily know where a rail gun or missile is coming from. And that terrifies them. It's just like stealth in PvP, it tends to draw a lot of criticism from people because it has that psychological effect.

I think what bugs people is that they don't necessarily know where a rail gun or missile is coming from. And that terrifies them. It's just like stealth in PvP, it tends to draw a lot of criticism from people because it has that psychological effect.

Hmmm, I've actually found it extraordinarily easy to observe what direction a railgun hits you from because of the flashy effect it has upon impact and how observable they are with near misses. Now given missiles I don't know where they came from unless they hit me, which I'm mildly annoyed by sometimes. Not quite sure who was trying to get a lock on me so I can only guess when I'm using obstacles to go evasive.

I hear the lock and even wait for the missle to get close to me. I roll out of it rather easily.

I was actually chased by someone who was using only missles. It was a constant, beep beep and the red blur on the side of my monitor telling me it was on its way. He must have used 20 missles on me. I won, I killed him with my quad lasers.

The missile is coming from the ship indicator on your firing arc that turns into a missile lock icon. Roll and turn towards that indicator and change speed=lock broken. Line of sight also works if your around asteroids, etc. Edited by Phrase

It's not that easy to target lock with missiles AND get to take the shot if the pilot you're chasing is even halfway decent. It takes so long to acquire lock that they're fairly easily avoided, especially with the retro thrusters.

The issue is that dang lock sound will get you in a panic if you keep hearing it over and over. Try some tricky flying around structures and asteroids...sometimes you can kite your pursuer right into a wall!

It's not that easy to target lock with missiles AND get to take the shot if the pilot you're chasing is even halfway decent. It takes so long to acquire lock that they're fairly easily avoided, especially with the retro thrusters.

The issue is that dang lock sound will get you in a panic if you keep hearing it over and over. Try some tricky flying around structures and asteroids...sometimes you can kite your pursuer right into a wall!

I'd have so many kills if they counted how often I get persuers to fly into objects...

I'd have so many kills if they counted how often I get persuers to fly into objects...

You get assists for the death, assuming you ever shot them a single time ;)

Assists are every bit as valuable as a kill. My average for kills? Pretty dang low....my assist average - pretty high. I get medals all the time. Granted, only bronze, but I am almost always getting them. People need to not think of this as "It's only a good game if I can kill everyone and dominate the whole map" - because frankly, a lot of us WON'T. So find other ways to rack up points. High damage, high assists, point caps, point defense, point assault - they all generate req's and can get you awards/medals.

Yea today when I was using my gunship, I had some guy chasing me and locking missiles onto me. I was actually able to shake off the missle locks pretty well until I started looking for hiding places. He was still chasing me so I flew myself into a crack in the Cliffside I saw. I kept going deeper into it until I thought I had lost him when...it turns out to be a dead end-crash. So much for hiding behind obstacles or in them.

I found it easy to lose lock ons by just LOSing the person trying to lock a missile onto me. There is also the emergency maneuver ability you have on your engines (most ships come with some form of emergency maneuver engine) to lose the lock temporarily if you are in the open as well. I myself try not to fight head on unless I got the person damaged down some beforehand.

You get assists for the death, assuming you ever shot them a single time ;)

Assists are every bit as valuable as a kill. My average for kills? Pretty dang low....my assist average - pretty high. I get medals all the time. Granted, only bronze, but I am almost always getting them. People need to not think of this as "It's only a good game if I can kill everyone and dominate the whole map" - because frankly, a lot of us WON'T. So find other ways to rack up points. High damage, high assists, point caps, point defense, point assault - they all generate req's and can get you awards/medals.

Yeah, people act like kills are the only way to get credit for doing something and that you don't get credit for just damaging someone.

• 1 year later...
Yeah, people act like kills are the only way to get credit for doing something and that you don't get credit for just damaging someone.

While I'm still somewhat a noob (I gladly take advice from several folks who've helped me a lot}, I learned the hard way that Gunships are better at doing lots of damage to everything and then kiting the people who're chasing me to my side's fighter and scout. While I run somewhat aggressive in a Gunship (yes I die a lot, everyone gets all community minded about Gunships, thinking they're evil or something.), when I fly one of my bombers the same principle applies. Use the Bomber as bait and pull the other side in 1s and 2s back to our Fighter, Scouts and Gunships.

Yes I get a number of kills, best days are 13-15 worst of coarse is 1-2, but assists and damage are my gravy.