Strike Fighting 101

RickDagles

Because only few others are good enough to play at the level you play. It isn't a question of pulling it off or not, just how well you do it.. And I have to say, very few are able to play at your level, even I would have to run and hope to give you a run for your money. I doubt I'm skilled enough to face you and win.

And do not make me search the screenie of you having a full 0 match :p

lol I legitimately accepted match and when I got in when it was at the scorescreen that's unfair :p

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom's build drops a lot of evasion based on a meta call. I definitely feel that everyone runs wingman, but mostly because they are forced into it. The build doesn't even make wingman the wrong call, as it still has plenty of evasion (baseline 19% without the crewman, 24% with, up to 46 or 51 during coodowns, plus natural miss chance on deflection, means that the 20% wingman will always be a decent call, but not as gamebreaking as when evasion is your only defense).

But I really do feel that the general switch to targeting telemetry as the only scout system on burst builds is also a big tell. It was very possible to pop distortion and assume you wouldn't be hit much for a few seconds, but nowadays you can absolutely take damage up to and including death inside it.

Well, you could remove evasion altogether and Wingman would still be viable, even optimal for some builds and strategies. A big part of it is that most copilot actives just aren't good. If you take a gunship, there are really only four copilot skills that are useful enough to consider at all, and if you delete evasion that removes Running Interference, Hydrospanner is still weak so you'd have a real choice between Bypass and Wingman—with Wingman still the best choice for dealing with an ace, since it would allow high deflection shots to land consistently. All other copilot skills are just not useful with railguns, so should never be taken (double torps and Interdiction/Clusters builds aside, at least).

Rocket pods scouts would have a similar choice too, because they also suffer massive tracking penalties, as would any strikes and T3 bombers relying on their HLC for most of their damage. Obviously, BLC/Clusters and a number of other builds would no longer have a use for Wingman, but in the general case it would still be a viable and even very strong ability. Part of this is that it has a long duration and can affect nearby allies, and part of this is just how bad many of the alternatives are.

The other thing with your Targetting Telemetry point is that, in the all other things being equal scenario, the extra evasion is the right upgrade pick and all but cancels the other person's evasion. Tom has some of the fastest reflexes in the game and if you assume you'll always have a noticeable delay before your opponent fires back then his choice of TT upgrade is strictly superior, but that's an assumption you can't make for the general case. And even Tom is sacrificing a bit of his ability to survive swarming and gunship ambushes (although his Reinforced Armour gives a hedge against slug crits) in order to be more effective against opposing battlescouts (and evasion-stacked gunships).

P.S. sorry, I was off a bit on some of the shields maths (which remarkably doesn't really affect the point, as you've shown). I blame the early morning posting for this :o

Edited by MiaowZedong

Because only few others are good enough to play at the level you play. It isn't a question of pulling it off or not, just how well you do it.. And I have to say, very few are able to play at your level, even I would have to run and hope to give you a run for your money. I doubt I'm skilled enough to face you and win.

And do not make me search the screenie of you having a full 0 match :p

It's accuracy, which is hard to teach. Also it's completely different from flying the (I think) more popular BLC/cluster build. I'm still getting used to this build, and I have a lot of experience.

It's accuracy, which is hard to teach. Also it's completely different from flying the (I think) more popular BLC/cluster build. I'm still getting used to this build, and I have a lot of experience.

It's not accuracy. My average accuracy is over 55% on HLC, over 40% on LC'N'Pods and Quad'N'Pods without TT burst, over 50% with TT burst, over 60% with BLC and 60%-80% with railguns. And I'm still a noob in front of Scrabby and Tomm.