Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Are All Tanks Created Equal

MK-ULTRA's Avatar


MK-ULTRA
11.21.2019 , 06:59 AM | #1
I am Darkness(306) atm and don't feel very strong. I'm reading how Immortal tank is super OP. Is it really that much better than Darkness?

Am I wasting my time on Darkness? I see medics who are better tanks and do more damage.
You spelled tyranny wrong.

Ahwassa's Avatar


Ahwassa
11.21.2019 , 07:40 AM | #2
Ask other tanks for help (your guild, friends).
The tank I run with prefers his assassin tank to the others.
With vanish you can evade many heavy hitting mechanics (in master mode flashpoints).
Powertech tank is the weakest tank.

yohansvea's Avatar


yohansvea
11.21.2019 , 08:05 AM | #3
To previous post: im not sure that is still so, pre 6.0 yes but now from a healer perspective i find PT and Jugg tanks most smooth and easy to heal in MM Fps while Sin tank is more work to keep alive. I dont know about skank and dps for tanks I just say as a healer i prefer tanks that are PTS or Juggs for a smooth run, i heal as operative btw.

allexj's Avatar


allexj
11.21.2019 , 08:23 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by MK-ULTRA View Post
I am Darkness(306) atm and don't feel very strong. I'm reading how Immortal tank is super OP. Is it really that much better than Darkness?

Am I wasting my time on Darkness? I see medics who are better tanks and do more damage.
Sin Tanks are more Spikey compared to the other two tanks. What I mean by this is Sin tanks will go through cycles of no damage to very little damage taken to very large damage spike taken. This is a result of low armor and lower Damage reduction than other tanks. The reason for this is the number of utilities we have at our disposal. The Sin stat goals should be 55% Shield Rating which is about 6k rating I believe and 43% absorb which I believe is about 3k total. You don't want your defense chance to drop below 6k in level 70 combat or I belive 7k in level 75 content. (I think 7k is about right for level 75 content but I don't have the numbers in front of me). The next stat you are trying to achieve is tier 1 alacrity I believe the total is 1228. Everything else should go into health. A perfect min/maxed Shadow Tank should have 300k+ health.

The next step for shadow tank is and being a good one is to understand what happens when a spike occurs, what kind of damage is causing it once you know what you can determine which ability to use. You have Force Potenice(30% more absorb while active, just don't use Force Powers during that time), You have Resilience/Force Shroud which allows you to ignore all force and tech damage short duration but will save your life, next you have is saber ward I believe its called then is an all-round general defensive, Then after that you have cloak. All of the ability here help stop spike damage it all about knowing how to respond and what DCD to use at the right time.
Support Togruta,Bothan and other Alien Species! I Support LGBT Romance Arcs.

Xhuuyaa's Avatar


Xhuuyaa
11.21.2019 , 02:33 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by MK-ULTRA View Post
Am I wasting my time on Darkness? I see medics who are better tanks and do more damage.
nowadays; yes.
Jugg Tank was OP already.. but after 6.0 hit and take away the 60% Damage Reduction on Force Speed for Sins, imo tanking becomes very hard. Mained a Sin Tank for years, geared it up... played new Dxun Ops... was shocked. Tried again - finally rerolled on Jugg.
In the current state of this meta I dont know single reason to play Darkness any longer. Its imo not fun, not rewarding and not competitive

MK-ULTRA's Avatar


MK-ULTRA
11.21.2019 , 02:40 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Xhuuyaa View Post
nowadays; yes.
Jugg Tank was OP already.. but after 6.0 hit and take away the 60% Damage Reduction on Force Speed for Sins, imo tanking becomes very hard. Mained a Sin Tank for years, geared it up... played new Dxun Ops... was shocked. Tried again - finally rerolled on Jugg.
In the current state of this meta I dont know single reason to play Darkness any longer. Its imo not fun, not rewarding and not competitive
It sucks cause I love this toon and have put in hundreds of millions of credits. I like the double bladed saber etc. Now I feel like I was fooled.

Also I'm looking at tacs and sets for Sin darkness and they are suck. And most sets are only 4 piece instead of 6.

Darkness needs love pronto.
You spelled tyranny wrong.

LD_Little_Dragon's Avatar


LD_Little_Dragon
11.21.2019 , 05:23 PM | #7
Without the force speed cheese sin tanks need to pay attention to their dcds again and can't just face tank everything without moving.

I miss the 60% damage absorbtion, but dark ward is still there, plus the force cloak ability.

Sins need skill and need to gear properly to be good, but they can be great tanks, even in 6.0. It's just that a bad sin tank perfoms worse than a a bad jugg tank.

(Set bonus: look into the Efficient Termination set, it gives you an on-demand damage reduction with spike.)
Stealthy heals, stealthy dps, stealthy tank.

Xhuuyaa's Avatar


Xhuuyaa
11.21.2019 , 07:55 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by LD_Little_Dragon View Post
I miss the 60% damage absorbtion, but dark ward is still there, plus the force cloak ability.
Yeah have to be thankful that they left any defs... thats a very solid argument.

Quote: Originally Posted by LD_Little_Dragon View Post
Sins need skill and need to gear properly to be good, but they can be great tanks, even in 6.0. It's just that a bad sin tank perfoms worse than a a bad jugg tank.
Every class can perform somehow with proper skill & gear... and a bad sorc performs worse than an bad merc. Whats exactly your point? Compared to the other two tank classes sin is in a bad place now. And Darkness wasnt OP before 6.0.

Quote: Originally Posted by LD_Little_Dragon View Post
(Set bonus: look into the Efficient Termination set, it gives you an on-demand damage reduction with spike.)
Youre right this will make the difference. We will see many players playing darkness in HC or NiM content with this huge advantage.

KendraP's Avatar


KendraP
11.21.2019 , 08:31 PM | #9
For the overwhelming amount of content, any tank is perfectly viable. As always, shadows/sins are the cheese tank, guardians/juggs are the cooldown tank, and in theory Vg/PT is the passive/rotation DR tank.

Yes, the loss of the 60% DR on force speed is certainly noticable for sins. But it hardly removes their niche or makes them unviable.

My personal preference is guardian > VG > shadow just because of the cheese mechanics/kinetic ward management (and no, it's not really difficult to do, just not something I enjoy doing).

Unperson's Avatar


Unperson
11.22.2019 , 08:12 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by LD_Little_Dragon View Post
Without the force speed cheese sin tanks need to pay attention to their dcds again and can't just face tank everything without moving.

I miss the 60% damage absorbtion, but dark ward is still there, plus the force cloak ability.

Sins need skill and need to gear properly to be good, but they can be great tanks, even in 6.0. It's just that a bad sin tank perfoms worse than a a bad jugg tank.

(Set bonus: look into the Efficient Termination set, it gives you an on-demand damage reduction with spike.)
Gross exaggerations really do not help the case you're making. I couldn't, for instance, just "face tank" Styrak's dragon in NiM before because 60% DR for 2s wouldn't do much... though it did help if didn't time a spit correctly, and it was great to have against Thundering Blasts.

And, if anything, I had to pay even more attention, not less, because syncing the small 2s windows with incoming spikes is literally the opposite of "face tanking". Face tanking is what I did on my PT, so I'm glad they are getting a set bonus that rewards paying attention. Note also that the biggest cheese (shroud) is not only still there but actually got a buff because you can now have 2 charges on your cloak.

I did play on PTS when you could stack Phasing Phantasm with the DR from spike (was 20%, not 10) and that was a bit much. Now you get an anemic 10% DR which you'll barely notice when Tyrans is hitting you for 40% of your HP with his TBs. They need to give tanks the DR from DPS FS, or up the % on the Spike set bonus to ~30%.