No New Ship Role in 2.8

TrinityLyre

In case you don't read the General Forum or check Dev Tracker, see this post.

Hey folks,

I wanted to give you all an update on the new ship role that Bruce had mentioned previously in his roadmap, slated for Game Update 2.8. Unfortunately, that ship role has been pushed out indefinitely. Not to say it is impossible to be brought in at a future date, but it has been pushed off of our current roadmap.

Certainly the first question to be asked is why? Our roadmap began to shift into a new direction with a high priority placed around both Galactic Strongholds and that other expansion Bruce briefly mentioned before. In looking at our current schedule, we felt that Starfighter was in a healthy state and so by cutting the new role, we could make a better experience for our upcoming expansions.

We definitely realize that this will be upsetting news to players who are big fans of GSF. We don't want you to feel like we are just leaving GSF in the dust in place of other features. Coming in GU 2.8 there are 2 new ship variants coming, a new Gunship and a new Bomber. I know it isn't as exciting as a whole new role but we want you to know we are still dedicated to expanding GSF, like all of our game systems.

Thanks everyone!

-eric

Sadface. :( Extra sadface. :( Third sadface. :( We're getting the two new ships and no mention of new maps, game modes or classes. Ugh!

Also: New ship roles are a farce.

Edited by TrinityLyre

GSF in a healthy state ?

Call me a cynic, but I am reading that as" GSF wasn't generating the interest/revenue for us to put the resources into it".

I don't like to think that, but it's hard not to. I always suspected they hoped GSF would bring in World of Tanks numbers.

It's a shame, because I love GSF more desperately than any game I've played in the last five years, including the rest of SWTOR. I'd subscribe just for it alone, as long as it continued to get sustained development and updates.

Edited by Nemarus

wow.... extremely dissapointed and hopefully not an indicator that they are done looking at GSF or the forum. There are some really easy things we need bad (extra pvp daily's, expanded tutorial) and some not so easy things we need even worse.... If they ignore it at this point it actually cold die off by the time they are ready to address issues (like a year from now)

I was excited about galactic strongholds but I don't think they should use it to push other actual gameplay content to a year down the road. Ill second stasie with a series of :(

I am OK with this mostly because I've never had a clear idea *** an "infiltrator" class would even add to GSF.

I don't think anyone is heartbroken over the loss of the Infiltrator. It was probably a nightmare to balance.

The bigger concern is whether this represents a fundamental shift in resourcing for GSF.

The bigger concern is whether this represents a fundamental shift in resourcing for GSF.

This, thank you Nem. Like many of you, I came back and devoted time to this game because of GSF.

Well, I no longer feel even remotely upset about cancelling my subscription.

I never really considered the option but I guess that really depends what's on the new roadmap. If all we have is all we're going to see in GSF for the remainder of the year, I may as well - I can play all my mastered ships without a sub and I've already leveled 12+ 55s, so the XP loss wouldn't hurt at all.

Edited by TrinityLyre

I don't think anyone is heartbroken over the loss of the Infiltrator. It was probably a nightmare to balance.

Agreed. I noticed that the tooltips for engine abilities and systems wasn't fixed (after buying an upgrade that does something such as reduce CD the tooltip doesn't update). With this news I can't help but wonder if they'll be shifting resources away from GSF.

This, thank you Nem. Like many of you, I came back and devoted time to this game because of GSF.

I never really considered the option but I guess that really depends what's on the new roadmap. If all we have is all we're going to see in GSF for the remainder of the year, I may as well - I can play all my mastered ships without a sub and I've already leveled 12+ 55s, so the XP loss wouldn't hurt at all.

Unfortunately if my group / team quits ill be out as well. I came back solely for GSF and have loved almost every second of it. If GSF is removed entirely from the roadmap then I might as well, its not that time yet but I don't see the longevity of my subscription without the hope of some new content / fixes / and general attention paying.

On a side note, people on that announcement post have basically said that no one plays GSF, I think its time for the forum mob to teach them a lesson about being wrong, if you want GSF to be supported I say hit that post and let them know that more than a few people play and enjoy it. Despite our infighting, we all love the game and can agree what we don't want is it to slip to the wayside forever.

Edited by DamascusAdontise

That's what I'm afraid of. I like arguing with you lot on the forums, but it's not worth $15/mo to me.

it's not worth $15/mo to me.

Yea -- that's what I'm leaning towards as well.

It also frustrates me how excited everybody on the general forums seem to be about the new Galactic Strongholds/Housing. I personally don't really see the appeal...

I mean...I guess this might provide something to do while we wait for GSF queues? Instead of running around the fleet, chill in somebody's house and play pazaak? :p

On a side note, people on that announcement post have basically said that no one plays GSF, I think its time for the forum mob to teach them a lesson about being wrong, if you want GSF to be supported I say hit that post and let them know that more than a few people play and enjoy it. Despite our infighting, we all love the game and can agree what we don't want is it to slip to the wayside forever.

Good point, I added my voice to that thread since, like others here, GSF is what got me to resub and keep my subscription going.

Yeah establishing RPS balance only works with three classes, and we already have one too many.

Not to mention the datamines seem to indicate that at least one variant would have been something like a BLC flashfire with stealth, cuz that would totally be balanced.

I'm really not surprised that they are pulling the infiltrator, since the nerf to barrel roll and ion spam there is not longer a need to establish a efficient gunship counter since scouts properly fulfill that role, and adding anything else into the meta would likely cause a balancing mess.

healer class gunship anyone?

Much as I'd like it, not realistically going to happen.

Until they change the fundamental flaws in the mechanics of various ships and/or components, more ships of the current classes will fail to solve any problems we currently have.

I think its funny that by their own admission they are not excited about the new ships, this is a bad sign. I reserve the right to be skeptically optimistic until I actually see the patch notes and some screens. :D

It gives me something to work toward at least (since I am a completionist for some reason), and has the chance of being cool / different than what we already have. Who knows it might be fun.

On a side note I typically wasn't that excited about the new Infiltrator class (or WE it was to be called) I had figured it would end up something like the Tier 2 scout in spirit with most if not all its guts torn out and replaced with stealth system IE a T2 scout with a cloak, no DF, and no evasion (probably no BR either) very survival minimalist if you will.

IMO it would have to have been the glass cannon king, what I fly is pretty paper thin already, wasn't excited about having even less protection (even with stealth) all things said and done, I want to see another class but I can understand it taking a little time to flesh out what and why.

Edited by DamascusAdontise

Well, this is just my completely unscientific, unsubstantiated and biased opinion, but I think that GSF has done much better than most naysayers would like to admit, but not as well as Bioware had hoped...and I do not think they are surprised about this.

I think they heard what folks had to say in testing, watched the numbers over time, and realized that the testers were mostly correct. I also think, based on their design vision they felt they did what they could.

I am disappointed in it's performance, or more exactly what I feel it COULD have done for the game, but I am happy to see it was not a flop. The first space feature WAS a flop IMO. This most certainly was not.