Unlocking companion story, how successful have you been?

Arodin

I finished my first level 50 character, and looking back I realize I barely had any opportunity to learn about my companions and do their story missions. I even had Treasure Hunting as my main crew skill (the only one I maxed out) so I was getting a regular supply of gifts, but I was still only able to get one character's affection level up (and still not maxed).

Now I keep doing Treasure Hunting trying to keep getting more companion gifts as much as I can and feed them to my companions like candy, but it's slow and kinda awkward. I don't like how this system works, it seems unnecessarily cumbersome just to experience the story and character development Bioware worked so hard on.

Anyone else feel like this? Or has anyone had an easier time getting their characters' affection levels up?

I've got ten companions up to 10k affection, 9 of which I have completed the "stories" with(damn you Doc and your non-clearing conversation/quest).

The strategy that I have come up with for maxxing affection goes like this(note, it can be difficult to do until later in the game when you have more money).

-Look up a companion's best gifts. There are several sources that have this, I think Darth Hater has a list of this.

-Feed the companion level 1 gifts from that category that you can buy at the fleet until they hit 2k affection(should take around 20 gifts unless they are one of the 4 companions with no "loved gift" category namely Kira, Doc, Quinn(I think), and one JC companion).

-Feed them bought gifts of the category until they hit 4k, you can use either level 1 or level 2 gifts, but I prefer level 1s for most characters as it is cheaper. It does take twice as long though. If it is one of the four annoying ones though, then I prefer to give them level 2 gifts.

-Feed them bought level 2 gifts until they hit 6k. Possibly skip this step for one of the four.

-Optionally buy level 3 and above gifts for the companion until they hit 8k off of GTN.

-Start companion conversations with the character, and switch the character in whenever having a quest conversation if your primary companion has already hit 10k. Also I reccomend buying appropriate high level gifts off of the GTN if they are a good price just to speed things up.

Used this general strategy to get 8 of the 10 up to max(other two were always with my character so they got up there through conversations). You start with buying their affection up to 6k because conversations always give the same point total while gifts have diminishing returns. So gifting 2k at the beginnig is cheaper than gifting 2k at the end.

I had Qyzen Fess with me throught my entire story so far (lvl 47) and im not even half way up his affection meter. I chose Lightside options, but, he always wanted me to kill tough enemies, something a lighsider does not do, also, because he only gets 15 points a time its a uphill struggle.

All the other companions ive never even took on 1 mission due to their roles and mine, so they are barely even above 1000 affection. I hear alot of people have most of theirs maxxed. Am i the only one that is struggling really badly?

Most are just talk, they leave, black screen, they come back successful. I'd had hoped there would be more missions of actually going out and performing tasks with them and seeing what happens first hand.

Aric Jorgan does have one mission that you and him go on outside the ship to Nar Shaddaa, but that is the only one I have noticed so far.

For a good companion guide, check out http://forcetremor.com/misc.php?page=companiongifts

Corso Riggs just asked me if we could go find his cousin and I said yes, but no mission resulted. Is that supposed to be a crew mission or is it just talk?

This is an actual mission. You take him to find his cousin Rona. Not going to spoil it for you but I will tell you it takes place on Coruscant. It's much like Aric Jorgan's mission that I'll never do because I hate him with a passion.

Edited by Remianen

Teeseven's spooling up the data for what looks like it might be a full-blown companion quest, and has been since I left Tython. I took Kira on a short jaunt to help out some friends on Nar Shadaa. Was disappointed when I didn't get to go help Doc negotiate for Prudy and her hospital. I feel like I probably could've caused the situation to come out differently.

This is an actual mission. You take him to find his cousin Rona. Not going to spoil it for you but I will tell you it takes place on Coruscant. It's much like Aric Jorgan's mission that I'll never do because I hate him with a passion.

Oh, thanks. I have another mission on Cor, so I guess make that my next stop. ;)

Teeseven's spooling up the data for what looks like it might be a full-blown companion quest, and has been since I left Tython. I took Kira on a short jaunt to help out some friends on Nar Shadaa. Was disappointed when I didn't get to go help Doc negotiate for Prudy and her hospital. I feel like I probably could've caused the situation to come out differently.

I'm going to just dash your hopes before the games gets the chance to, T7's data gets resolved in conversation and not with a quest(well technically every companion conversation is a quest, but you know what I mean). Kira however does get a second quest post-final story boss. And none of the other JK companions get any quests atm.