N00b question

ksellars

so with the new crafting recipes you buy the blue recipe then you RE and have a chance to get a purple recipe. Can you RE that purple recipe to get something better and if so how deep can you go with this?

Is it for any Tier recipe?

I know I have been messing around with tier 1 and I have RE some blue crafted stuff and got some purple recipes is there anything after purple in tier 1?

Sorry I don't know the swtor lingo just yet.

Also some of the purple recipes call for slicing stuff is this correct or a bug?

Thanks for any help?

Are there any guides out there for the new system yet? Maybe those would help me understand the system better. I'm having a real hard time getting the supplies to make the purple stuff because it is requiring purple slicing stuff which is very expensive on the GTM even for tier 1 stuff.

I can't even imagine what the higher tiers will be. Not to mention how high will I have to price the final product to make a profit if I have to buy the purple mats to even craft it. I can't imagine someone would pay that much for say a tier 1 or 2 item.

maybe I'm just misunderstanding something about crafting. I did go ahead and make an alt with slicing because I can see this is where my synthweaving and artifice will bottleneck.

the short answer is: no there is no additional RE above purple.

The longer answer is:

What they did was instead of:

1. craft a bunch of greens

2. RE those greens to get three blue

3. craft a bunch of blues

4. RE those blues to get two to five purples (depending on grade and what blue you started with) where only one of the purple is in fact worth crafting.

they implemented:

1. use gathering materials to craft green "materials"

2. use those green materials (and blue materials) to craft blue stuff

3. RE that blue stuff (with a higher chance mind you) to get a single purple schematic

The objective was to eliminate some of the RNG nature of crafting, and IMO it succeeded. They got rid of an entire RE step (green to blue), and reduced the number of purple schematics so that the one you get is the one you want.

Thanks that helped to understand. Do you know anything about the synthweaving and artifice requiring slicing materials? Like is this intended or is it just a bug? I just started playing again about two weeks before this big patch and I was able to make everything I needed for my recipes now after the patch I need slicing mats any idea on this?

The intent seems to be an artifice item needed blue and purple mats from whatever mission skill is associated with it and a blue sliced tech part.

Except some artifact schematics require a blue mission mat and a blue and purple sliced tech part. While others don't.

(Artifice relics require blue and purple gems from Treasure Hunting plus a blue sliced tech part. Haven't RE'd anything else. Cybertech earpieces require blue and purple underworld metals and a blue sliced tech part but it looks like the mods and enhancements require blue UT metals and then blue and purple sliced tech parts. Armstech is worse. I can't find any schematic that requires nylasteel (Investigation grade 1 purple).)

Yeah that's what I have came across I just feel like it's unnecessary, you should be able to complete a recipe with one toon having a crafting skill and 2 resource collecting skills. This is of course my opinion and doesn't really mean anything to anyone else but me. It just seems like they are forcing us to create Alts and grind more then we used to have to do. That's one thing that has pushed me away from a lot of MMO's some grind is ok but a lot of it gets real boring real quick, for me at least.

This only applies for the artifact item. The prototype items can be crafted with 3 crew skills.

I have reverse engineered the versatile armoring 5 and am looking at the advanced versatile armoring 5. It requires:

1 Power Tube

2 Rubat Synth Bonded Attachments

1 Cyrene Silk

2 Shadowsilk.

Which makes me think those recipes I mentioned above requiring a blue and purple sliced tech parts are a mistake.

I did get a "we've forwarded this to QA" response to the bug report so hopefully they will look at it.

Edit: I also note that they seem to be trying to make less useful materials actually useful. The versatile armorings require luxury fabrics now. That should make those more valuable.

(The synthetic prefabs for synthweavers still require underworld metals so that crew skill is even more useful for synthweavers.)

Edited by Sinapus