Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New time-limited nightmare Dread Fortress title announced

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
New time-limited nightmare Dread Fortress title announced
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Levram
03.04.2014 , 11:57 AM | #1
The 2.7 PTS patch notes contain details on a new time-limited title and changes to how nightmare content will be handled in the game.
Quote:
Nightmare Mode is now available for the Dread Fortress! Even greater horrors await those who wish to challenge the bastion of the Dread Masters, and even greater rewards in the form of new Dread Touched equipment!

This iteration of Nightmare Mode is a little different than others. The usual additional mechanics are present, as well as a new buff on the enemies called Nightmare Power. This buff grants the usual additional health and damage that has been added to previous Nightmare Modes. Anyone powerful and coordinated enough to defeat Dread Master Brontes while under the effect of Nightmare Power will be granted a new unique title!

At a future date, we will remove this buff, leaving the new mechanics in place but the health and damage dealt will return to usual hard mode values, and the title will no longer be possible to obtain.
I'm a bit surprised by the new approach where the nightmare bosses will revert to hard mode health and damage levels at some future point. The time-limited title seems to be an attempt to maintain the prestige of completing an "original" nightmare clear. I do think that the value of the new title is helped by the fact that 2.7 also brings the split between hard mode and nightmare mode lockouts, so nightmare boss skipping will no longer be possible.
Acuzel (Assassin DPS/Tank) Ivs (Operative Healer) Praeco (Powertech Tank)
The Imperial Order
The Shadowlands

Korse
03.04.2014 , 12:27 PM | #2
This seems weird to me. Title is nice to have, but I find it a little weird that the gear drops (81?) will be from hard mode difficulty + additional mechanics per boss? Plus, you can run two HMs per week to get 78/81 gear drops (yes, plus "additional mechanics").

It doesn't say anything about how long the NM buff lasts (1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours, forever?). I prefer the current timed system. If they really want to make this stuff exclusive, just remove the trigger for the title in future updates.

"As a future date we will remove this buff..." -- Is this so much more complicated than removing the triggered update, death proc, implementations, etc that grants the title?

Hopefully no one new ever wants to play this game and have titles. This kind of says, "You want titles? **** you for not playing this game when we thought you should have played it."
Characters
Spoiler

JMagee
03.04.2014 , 12:36 PM | #3
From the few bits and pieces of info I've read regarding this, I'm pretty sure there are two NiM titles.One involving this Nightmare Power buff, and one for completing it on "Normal" NiM mode. And I believe the timed runs are 1 hr.

I think it's an interesting step. Allow a shiny for a group who is geared and ready to take on the content at level when released, and can show that they were able to clear it without being overgeared. Without knowing how long this buffed NiM will be live, I can't really comment about how (un)fair it is, but it's a unique step that will reward the better progression guilds with a title that shouldn't be tarnished by clears of NiM DF 3 years from now.

If I were a betting man, it wouldn't surprise me if the buff gets shut off right around the time that NiM DP gets released. Would just seem to make perfect sense.

KeyboardNinja
03.04.2014 , 12:38 PM | #4
This does two things. First, it makes all nightmare titles an "original" clear. No more need to specify "pre-2.0 Warstalker" or "pre-2.4 Dragonslayer". Second, it avoids the utterly bizarre situation we have right now where easier ops (HM DF/DP) drop better gear. There is no reason whatsoever to get gear from NiM TfB or S&V, but they are indisputably harder than HM DF or DP. So, that's backwards. With this new time-limited scheme, they will effectively be nerfing NiM DF and DP such that they are accessible to those who want an intermediate gear tier between 78s and whatever-comes-next (maybe 85s?).
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

December 13, 2011 to January 30, 2017

Korse
03.04.2014 , 12:52 PM | #5
The gearing sounds similar to how Kell Dragon was BiS at the time and could only be obtained through token drops from the most recent NM instances. At least I assume DF/DP NM will drop a new tier of gear that is only tokens. That they make future HMs easier and drop better gear than previous tier NM sounds more like a design decision to placate casual players. BioWare caters to casual players, and they always will.

As for titles, that's only relevant now, and I think it's wasted e-peen nonsense. You get a timestamped achievement when you complete a NM operation for the first time. You hear anyone talking about their raid accomplishments from EV or Denova? No. Just let people get titles. If individuals really want to feel important, they can link their accomplishments in general. Or print out a screenshot and frame it on their wall.
Characters
Spoiler

Icebergy
03.04.2014 , 12:56 PM | #6
I think its awesome. I'm going to try my best to get them, but even if I am not able to earn them in time, I still think they are an excellent decision.
Unsubscribed due to no new Operations.
I am happy that there will be a renewed focus on story, I love story, its why I picked this MMO. But I picked an MMO, not an episodic single player RPG that I have to pay a subscription to receive the episodes.

Korse
03.04.2014 , 01:01 PM | #7
While I applaud the restructuring of lockouts (Story, Hard, NM all separate), structure for time dependent titles and temporarily harder NM mode is not what I want to see them spending their development time and resources on.
Characters
Spoiler

dinwitt
03.04.2014 , 01:50 PM | #8
This explains the two titles per instance that was mined. One for a Nightmare Power clear, one for the timed run.

Levram
03.04.2014 , 01:55 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
This does two things. First, it makes all nightmare titles an "original" clear. No more need to specify "pre-2.0 Warstalker" or "pre-2.4 Dragonslayer". Second, it avoids the utterly bizarre situation we have right now where easier ops (HM DF/DP) drop better gear. There is no reason whatsoever to get gear from NiM TfB or S&V, but they are indisputably harder than HM DF or DP. So, that's backwards. With this new time-limited scheme, they will effectively be nerfing NiM DF and DP such that they are accessible to those who want an intermediate gear tier between 78s and whatever-comes-next (maybe 85s?).
Great points KBN. That actually really clarifies the purpose of what they're doing.

I would imagine that the Nightmare Power buff will be in effect until the next tier of gear above 81s comes out, as you wouldn't be able to overgear for nightmare DF/DP until that point. This would likely be when the next set of operations are released, so late summer if they are out a couple of months after DP (nightmare) is released at the beginning of June.
Acuzel (Assassin DPS/Tank) Ivs (Operative Healer) Praeco (Powertech Tank)
The Imperial Order
The Shadowlands

ML_DoubleTap
03.04.2014 , 02:37 PM | #10
I think this is a pretty awesome strategy and KBN nailed the reasons.
Bonkurz