UI should show a "Miss" or "Evade" if I was on-target but failed to hit due to RNG

Nemarus

Often times I will feel like my aim is on-target, but no damage numbers will appear. I assume that some of the time that is because of my weapon's accuracy and/or my target's evasion, but it's hard to be sure. Perhaps I'm not as on-target as I think.

It'd be nice to always get some sort of feedback if we are aiming and shooting at the right place, even if accuracy/evasion do not result in damage being delivered.

Bonus request: having different color damage numbers for hull vs. shield damage, or primary vs. secondary weapon damage. Crits are rare enough (many ships are incapable of even critting) that reserving red just for them seems a bit of a waste. I'd much rather know when I've eaten through a target's shields (so I don't have to watch the bars). Or knowing solidly when one of my missiles or rockets did damage.

Edited by Nemarus

PIAT:

How can you not tell if you are aiming on target or not? You have a gunsight and a lead indicator. It's generally pretty evident. If no damage shows up, they evaded, or your accuracy was degraded.

Distortion already has a visual effect that I have seen on opponents just fine. Besides, passive evade can cause you to miss as well as the distortion ability.

How can you not tell if you are aiming on target or not? You have a gunsight and a lead indicator. It's generally pretty evident. If no damage shows up, they evaded, or your accuracy was degraded.

Or what I thought was a hit wasn't. Or there was a tiny object obscuring my shot. Or maybe there was lag.

When I fly a gunship, it is not 'generally pretty evident' why a shot that looked clean didn't do anything.

Sure, I could assume that they evaded, but having something say EVADE would be helpful.

Or what I thought was a hit wasn't. Or there was a tiny object obscuring my shot. Or maybe there was lag.

When I fly a gunship, it is not 'generally pretty evident' why a shot that looked clean didn't do anything.

Sure, I could assume that they evaded, but having something say EVADE would be helpful.

Yeah I agree, would at least make you feel a bit better that you were on target.

I think Evasion would be better implemented as Deflection instead - some kind of magnetic field that can deflect shots off of the target. Those deflected shots would do no damage to anything, but you'd then be able to have a visual and audio effect for feedback, plus it makes more sense to me than my blasters seemingly hitting their mark to no effect.

Yes, a thousand times this.

Or make it so that evaded shots are glancing hits (~10% damage) instead of no damage at all. Either way, we need feedback. Too many cases of everything missing for no apparent reason, enemies suddenly becoming untouchable when their health reaches 10% or if they get too close, even if they fill the entire reticle.

I agree that there should be 'evade' indicators for properly placed hits that were 'evaded' through the stat. I use distortion field (active ability gives me 3 seconds of 100%+ evasion) and people send me whispers after matches all the time telling me that I'm a cheater or hacker or something. It would be really nice if they had a whole bunch of 'evaded' popping up for 3 seconds rather than assuming that some sort of cheats are involved.

I'm pretty sure evasion just makes the centre leading reticule smaller and you can still hit somebody with over 100% evasion. I've hit my friend who I know has over 100% when he jousts me.

I have never been hit when I have distortion field active (with the exception of rocket pods), running at 41% evasion passive or 116% with distortion field. I am going to assume that the reason you could hit your friend is because your accuracy brought his evasion below 100%. All weapons have at least 110% accuracy at close range and you very possibly use a companion that gives 6% accuracy, meaning that with anything less than 41% passive evasion + 75% distortion field active, you won't have true 100% evasion at close range.

However, add in other ways to boost accuracy/lower evasion (targetting telemetry, anyone? 10% accuracy and 5% evasion reduction; or the copilot -20% evasion active) and it is definitely possible to get around high evasion.

I agree that there should be 'evade' indicators for properly placed hits that were 'evaded' through the stat. I use distortion field (active ability gives me 3 seconds of 100%+ evasion) and people send me whispers after matches all the time telling me that I'm a cheater or hacker or something. It would be really nice if they had a whole bunch of 'evaded' popping up for 3 seconds rather than assuming that some sort of cheats are involved.

This.