Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Women have to slap men in order to appear strong? Spoilers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Women have to slap men in order to appear strong? Spoilers

TalonVII
01.22.2018 , 05:30 PM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
The bomber distance is what's unclear. This is something Star Wars has always had a problem with ie actual logistics.

We have to assume that the bombers weren't launched when Poe first tries to comminicate as the FO says "A long x-wing" they would have seen the other ships show up when they did the scans.

So asssuming they just launched as he took out the towers they could have turned around and made it back in.
From what I could make out, the bombers were petty much on final, so to turn around they still would of been under fire. Better to just finish the attack.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

jarjarloves
01.22.2018 , 05:46 PM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
From what I could make out, the bombers were petty much on final, so to turn around they still would of been under fire. Better to just finish the attack.
again if that were the case they would have been spotted by the FO and they would have shot Poe right away. But they say it's only 1 x-wing.

Like i said this has always been the failing of the Star Wars movies they aren't the best for accurate military tactics or locations of ships.

Think back to ANH when the assault on the Death Star is happening. The Tie fighters aren't scrambled till well after they are attacking.

"General Forums you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy, we must use caution"

AlienEyeTX
01.22.2018 , 08:11 PM | #83
The bomber distance is what's unclear. This is something Star Wars has always had a problem with ie actual logistics.

We have to assume that the bombers weren't launched when Poe first tries to comminicate as the FO says "A long x-wing" they would have seen the other ships show up when they did the scans.

So asssuming they just launched as he took out the towers they could have turned around and made it back in.
Exactly.

And, good point... must assume Star Wars time/distance/physics.
You like free stuff, right? Click on this referral link to get yours. I'll get a little something, too. Welcome home. #freethelekku

annabethchase
01.22.2018 , 08:53 PM | #84
But you're ignoring the danger NOW. From what I had read, those bombers are NOT hyper capable. ....
They have hyperdrives
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/MG-10...Fortress_SF-17
Thinking about subbing? Use this link to help us both out http://www.swtor.com/r/3txb7F

TalonVII
01.23.2018 , 06:54 AM | #85
Quote: Originally Posted by annabethchase View Post
Thought they weren't? Well learn something new.
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

TalonVII
01.23.2018 , 06:55 AM | #86
again if that were the case they would have been spotted by the FO and they would have shot Poe right away. But they say it's only 1 x-wing.

Like i said this has always been the failing of the Star Wars movies they aren't the best for accurate military tactics or locations of ships.

Think back to ANH when the assault on the Death Star is happening. The Tie fighters aren't scrambled till well after they are attacking.
Well not only did they launch late, only Vader's personal squadrons launched. The Death Star has over 1000 fighters. Why they didn't launch them. Tarkin believed himself invincible and there was no need to consider the snub fighters a threat.
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

AlienEyeTX
01.23.2018 , 08:25 AM | #87
Well not only did they launch late, only Vader's personal squadrons launched. The Death Star has over 1000 fighters. Why they didn't launch them. Tarkin believed himself invincible and there was no need to consider the snub fighters a threat.
Not to mention they had cannons all over the surface. No reason to launch fighters who will likely just get in the way and be caught in friendly fire.
You like free stuff, right? Click on this referral link to get yours. I'll get a little something, too. Welcome home. #freethelekku

SithKoriandr
01.26.2018 , 10:40 AM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by AlienEyeTX View Post
You're missing something. Poe being out there was not the problem. Yes, that was his mission. He was stalling for time while the evacuation took place. First he does it on the radio and then he does it by attacking the cannons. Those actions allowed the evacuation to be completed.

The issue is that Poe then decides that they need to take out the dreadnaught. He is ordered back to the fleet and disobeys that order. He needlessly gets all of the bombers wiped-out. He delayed the retreat, which is the issue. They didn't know they would be tracked, so it made no sense, at the time, to keep up the assault on the dreadnaught.

Being out wasn't the problem. Staying out was the problem.
All the bombers destroyed being a waste seems to be a matter of opinion. Poe said taking out a Super Dreadnaught (which is what happened) was worth the risk.

Higher ups may have disagreed. However, none of them were any good either.

Holdo does a tactic that she waits to do, after 2 big ships are already evacuated and destroyed (why not have one of them do that trick at the first evac?) and over half the fleeing escape pods/smaller ships are destroyed.

Holdo was not a good leader. Her move was awesome, but if she was any good, she'd have done that simple plan sooner, but if she did that, she wouldn't have been seen as the heroic leader sacrificing herself, because she didn't do it first.

Waiting for over half the escaping ships to be destroyed just made her move look even worse.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Leklor
01.27.2018 , 02:59 AM | #89
On third watching, I noticed something interesting about Holdo.
When Poe goes to the bridge to confront her and notices the shuttles being fueled, she seems about to tell him what the plan is when he starts yelling at her, calling her a coward and a traitor.

Of course, we don't know for sure that she was going to do this but the way I see it, she was finally willing to compromise when he resorted to insults and and accusations which made her snap. (And honestly who would let anyone walk over them at such a critical time?)

In the end, Holdo is less a bad commander and just someone who sucks at people stuff, which is why she grossly underestimated Poe's hero complex and willingness to go over her and do things "his" way.

And, well, Poe is kind of a dick. I'm sorry I like him but stirring trouble in the middle of an evacuation by calling your commanding officer a coward and a traitor is definitely not a responsible thing to do.

Instead of trying to bellitle each other, Poe and Holdo should have learned to communicate. He should have asked her what they were planning with the shuttles instead of attacking her. She should have told him before kicking him off the bridge. Also she might have mentionned it was Leia's idea or at least aimed at her objective. Poe heas the utmost respect for Leia, he'd have listened.
This is a referral link, use at your own risk:
http://www.swtor.com/r/l72c4c

DarthDymond
01.27.2018 , 07:45 AM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by Leklor View Post
On third watching, I noticed something interesting about Holdo.
When Poe goes to the bridge to confront her and notices the shuttles being fueled, she seems about to tell him what the plan is when he starts yelling at her, calling her a coward and a traitor.

Of course, we don't know for sure that she was going to do this but the way I see it, she was finally willing to compromise when he resorted to insults and and accusations which made her snap. (And honestly who would let anyone walk over them at such a critical time?)

In the end, Holdo is less a bad commander and just someone who sucks at people stuff, which is why she grossly underestimated Poe's hero complex and willingness to go over her and do things "his" way.

And, well, Poe is kind of a dick. I'm sorry I like him but stirring trouble in the middle of an evacuation by calling your commanding officer a coward and a traitor is definitely not a responsible thing to do.

Instead of trying to bellitle each other, Poe and Holdo should have learned to communicate. He should have asked her what they were planning with the shuttles instead of attacking her. She should have told him before kicking him off the bridge. Also she might have mentionned it was Leia's idea or at least aimed at her objective. Poe heas the utmost respect for Leia, he'd have listened.
Agreed -- that's what I saw on a repeat viewing as well. Holdo looks bemused at Poe's ranting about the transports at first, but about ready to explain to him why he's wrong, but then he throws the "coward" and "traitor" lines at her and she just gets legitimately pissed off at him.

Only thing is, I don't think there's any way it was Leia's idea, she had been unconscious since almost immediately after the First Order showed off their new Hyperspace Tracking ability. I think the reason Holdo brushed Poe off the first time he asked her "what's the plan" is that at that point they legitimately hadn't worked out what to do yet, but that's certainly not a bit of news you want getting out (Rose would have had to use her shock stick at the escape pods lot more than four times, if that had happened).
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here