Bodyguard / Combat Medic Set Bonuses and Tactical Items

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Following our Onslaught announcement at SW Celebration we want to start diving into feedback right away. I want to use this thread to talk about Tactical Item effects and Set Bonuses for Bodyguard and Combat Medic Disciplines. Our goal for set bonuses is to introduce new bonuses, and potentially with even new sizes so you can mix and match. Tactical Items are a new item type that is meant to be build defining and most likely to directly impact how an ability works. For inspiration here are two completely made up Chain Lightning Examples:

1. Chain Lightning now does all of its total damage to only one target, and no longer jumps.
  2. Chain Lightning now jumps even more and does additional damage to secondary targets.

That would allow you to take a standard ability and allow it to be modified to fit your playstyle. Please use this thread to brainstorm ideas and make as many recommendations as you would like! For context:

• Tactical Items: These should modify one of your Advanced Class/Discipline abilities to work differently. The goal is for you to use the ability in situations you previously wouldn’t (more often, against specific targets, etc)
  • Set Bonuses: These should be focused on the broader “kind of tools” your class uses, but not specific abilities. Some examples are sets that center around bleeds, force damage, lightning, shields, cover, and so on.

Set bonuses, tacticals, both, let us know what you would like to see. I may not respond frequently in this thread but know that I am going to be compiling everything and sending it over to the team.

-eric

Some ideas:

Tactical Items

• Make Rapid Scan usable while moving.
  • Make Progressive Scan hit up to 8 targets.
  • Increase the effective area or potency of Kolto Bomb.
  • Restore DPS components of Supercharged Gas.

Only the last one really changes how the ability is used (minimally), the other ones are just random buffs. I think the goal is to have a profound impact on playstyle. Things like (not saying they are great but just throwing it out there):

- Instead of healing, progressive scan applies an absorb shield on a new target with every tick

- Using kolto shot on a target with kolto shell gives the target 1 (or 2?) extra stacks of shells instead of healing

Since everyone hates it already, why not allow for different mando raid buff effects:

Through Tactical Choices, make them choose between:

1. Immediately replenish all party members' energy (heat, energy, force, etc...)

2. Immediately reset all party members' cooldowns with less than 10 seconds remaining.

or maybe, as previously mentioned....

3. Immediately cleanse 1 negative effect from all party members

I like the idea of having a set or tactical item that makes it so you can cast Rapid Scan/Medical Probe while moving (this game for real needs way more mobility).

Another good tactical item or part of a set bonus could be a reduction in the cooldowns for Power Surge/Tech Override and Thermal Sensor Override/Reserve Powercell. Would be some nice utility for all Mercs/Mandos.

There are a few things I'd like to see changed in relation to combat, resolve and cleansing too but it's not really poignant to this thread. I just don't want this new gearing/itemisation to become a bandaid for fixing underlying combat issues with this game. I know cleansing has already been mentioned in this thread but it really needs an overhaul in the base game rather than being tied to gearing/itemisation.

When you play against Badyguard or Combat Medic in PVP you know this class is overtuned when they can hold off several opponents at once for a ludicrous amount of time.

/ conversely when you play one and rarely get killed - even when I've not mained one for many years ( since around 3.0 -ish) there must be something wrong.

I understand people want to boost the classes they play and heavily attenuate the ones they don't - but realistically it's about time all classes were examined and (possibly) rebuilt to a level baseline.

Tactical Items which could make medic / bodyguard gameplay more engaging and fluid for me.

Trauma Probe / Kolto Shell now grants less amount of stacks (maybe 5 down from 7) but:

• stacks refresh when target is healed with Kolto Bomb / Kolto Missile
  • OR stacks refresh when target is healed with Med Shot / Kolto Shot

Trauma Probe / Kolto Shell now has CD and the buff it applies to the target has no longer 7 stacks but:

• when target with TP / KS buff takes damage it is instantly healed for high amount (CD: 10-15 sec)
  • OR when target with TP / KS buff takes damage it is instantly healed for moderate amount, and every member of the group in 30m range is healed for x% of initial heal (maybe 70%; CD: 20-25 sec)

Tactical Items:

• Med Shot procs and consumes 1 stack of Trauma Probe.

• Supercharged Gas removes all heat cost from all abilities but has reduced duration.

• Each tick of Progressive Scan reduces the cooldown of Healing Scan by x seconds.

• Chaff Flare gives immunity to "soft" crowd control and grants immunity to interrupts for x seconds.

Set Item Bonuses:

• Reduces Energy Shield cooldown by x seconds.

• Hydraulic Overrides speed increased by x% and duration by x seconds

• Your damaging or healing abilities cause your next dmage or heal ability to critically hit. Once every 60 seconds.

A tactical item suggestion. Increase the length of supercharge by 2 sec and removes the cast time on healing and rapid scan. I want the class to have more mobility especially for ranked PVP this will also help emphisise the burst healing spec it is. A trade off for the amount of burst healing the class has is remove the cheaper cost of healing scan (spamming healing scan would cause you to blow your heat into the red) or some of the crit bonus during this so it's not so over powered in PVE.

Link to Main Forum Post with Google Doc of Failure's Set Bonus and Tactical Item suggestions

BODYGUARD/COMBAT

Tactical Suggestions:

• Unload builds stacks of supercharged gas (up to 3)
  • Kolto shell also increases damage reduction by .5% per stack.
  • Supercharged Celerity now applies 7 stacks of kolto shell on all party members.
  • Kolto shell now has a 6s cd. Healing per charge is increased by 15%.
  • Kolto shell now has a maximum of 13 stacks and has its healing increased per charge. Can only be used on one target.

Set Bonus:

• 2 set - Kolto Shell costs 2 less heat and refreshing Kolto Shell refunds 1 heat for each stack of Kolto Shell remaining on the target.
  • 4 set - Activating a healing ability has a 15% chance to grant [rp name]. [rp name] stacks up to 2 times and causes your next healing scan to be a critical. (changed from rapid scan)
  • 6 set - Supercharged Gas now empowers your Kolto Missile to provide x damage reduction. Additionally, Progressive Scan ticks for one extra tick under Supercharged Gas.

I have played combat medic for years, and am well thought of. I would like to see changes to the energy pool, as resource starvation is frustrating. I would like to see alacrity work better on energy regain for healers in particular. I know this post is for tactical items and set bonus ideas, but I am going to take this opportunity to make some suggestions too. Firstly I would like to flag the whole timer thing with supercharge cell, I think it would work a lot better if activating supercharge cell grants 6 charges instead of a timer. This way we can mix up the healing rotation with an AoE when it comes off cool down, and in addition getting stunned would not ruin our main single target healing buff. Med shot would be better if crits gave 2 stacks of supercharge, for fast stacks building. Finally reduce the healing cost of all heals please, you can max out your energy pool in seconds under current conditions.

So here are my tactical items suggestions:

Kolto bomb continues to heal when team members leave the area.

Kolto bomb heals for x more

Diversion absorbs x single target damage, this should be across the commando adv class as standard.

Trauma probe heals for more.

Trauma probe has double the charges (12), and lasts 4 minutes.

Bacta infusion grants 25% energy when used with supercharged cell or 10s after activating supercharge cell

Field aid has 2 charges

field aid removes all removable debuffs

Recharge cells restore 100% energy, (we are energy starved)

Successive treatment now heals 8 people an applies an armor buff to all.

Med shot causes trauma probe to activate instantly consuming 1 charge every time medshot is applied to the target, this effect occurs independently of taking damage. If the target is taking damage and med shot is applied, then trauma probe looses charges from both effects simultaneously (pairing them would in this way would make this filler so much more important.

Medshot heals for 100% more. Crits with med shot generate 2 stacks of supercharge cell.

2 charges to reserve powercell.

Edited by Darthanimus

• 2 weeks later...