Is SWTOR Endangered With Visceral Suddenly Being Shut Down?

Ylliarus

We all know Visceral got shut down today and the new Star Wars game they were producing has been indefinitely postponed. I can't even remember how many times EA pulled this off or fathom why they are doing it. Players have been waiting for a single-player storyplay for so long now and suddenly EA claims that "players don't want a solo game"? That is complete nonsense, we have been dying for one for years!

But most importantly, what does this mean for Bioware and SWTOR? Will EA suddenly decide to shut down Bioware too whenever they please? Will they simply cancel all that is being done for SWTOR and pull the plug on the servers? I am really getting worried with what is happening in the gaming industry. Now, this is not me claiming the game is dead, not at all, the game is very much alive. I am just worried that EA is behaving more and more unpredictably pulling the plug on so many Star Wars games and studios for no good reason... I am just afraid that one day we will try to log on to SWTOR and we will suddenly see the message pop-up EA had decided to pull the plug out of the blue. How likely such a scenario is? Don't ask me, ask Visceral and the people being excited about the new Star Wars game, do you think they expected for all of it to be cancelled, shut down and postponed indefinitely?

Would it be possible for someone from the dev team to respond to this? Can you give us some assurances that this won't happen to SWTOR, that Bioware won't be shut down like Visceral was today? I know there are contracts running, but I am certain Visceral also had contracts running for the new Star Wars game they were producing and those seem to simply have been ripped in two at the moment. From what I have heard and seen there is some concern with the players regarding this, so some comment from anyone at Bioware about Visceral shutting down and how it relates to Bioware and SWTOR would be extremely appreciated.

Edited by Ylliarus

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We all know"? I've never even heard of that game :eek:

Well it is being extensively talked about today by various players with big player following, so I thought it was a commonly known thing but of course the "everyone" was a generalisation, it seems.

Maybe. The lower game populations go the better the odds of it getting shut down. You'll know ahead of time, they'll stop selling 6 month subs first. As to BW being shut down, it wouldn't matter much, it's just a business unit of EA anyway. EA could shut down BW and move this game to another group or leave it with the same group under a different name.

The one thing you can be pretty sure of is the BW devs aren't going to know a lot before everyone does. If they do, you'll know because the top people will all be looking for jobs elsewhere and there will be a lot of vacancies.

Maybe. The lower game populations go the better the odds of it getting shut down. You'll know ahead of time, they'll stop selling 6 month subs first. .....

On Amazon, the 180 day time cards cannot be bought because they are "Currently unavailable", at least as of the time of me making this post.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Republic-Prepaid-Subscription/dp/B015OVILWS?th=1

The 90 day cards can still be bought though, and I don't know if the 180 day recurring subscription can be bought on the SWTOR website or not.

There is a real possibility that the 180 day time card not being available could be due to other reasons not related to this game shutting down.

On Amazon, the 180 day time cards cannot be bought because they are "Currently unavailable", at least as of the time of me making this post.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Republic-Prepaid-Subscription/dp/B015OVILWS?th=1

The 90 day cards can still be bought though, and I don't know if the 180 day recurring subscription can be bought on the SWTOR website or not.

There is a real possibility that the 180 day time card not being available could be due to other reasons not related to this game shutting down.

The 180s sell out fast from the local stores, from what I'm told as they are supposedly the best bargain. I'll ask next time I speak with the folks I know who use them to be sure on that.

We all know Visceral got shut down today and the new Star Wars game they were producing has been indefinitely postponed.

No it's not been postponed according to the IGN article. It's been handed out to other EA studios who will now be working on it. The release date has been pulled back but according to the article other studios are still working on it.

No it's not been postponed according to the IGN article. It's been handed out to other EA studios who will now be working on it. The release date has been pulled back but according to the article other studios are still working on it.

Ah I see, because from what I understood it was postponed indefinitely but of course newer news updates could have more information or more accurate at least. But what happens to Visceral why did they have to be shut down?

Ah I see, because from what I understood it was postponed indefinitely but of course newer news updates could have more information or more accurate at least. But what happens to Visceral why did they have to be shut down?

I'm assuming there was a conflict of ideas between Visceral and EA...EA proved they control the game, not Visceral. Visceral was closed to make an example of that power.

EA executive vice president Patrick Söderlund: "Visceral’s take on the Star Wars title would have been a “story-based, linear adventure game,” which the company has decided needed to be shifted toward a “broader experience.”"

A more broader experience than a story-based, linear adventure game is exactly an MMO, period. Patrick just hinted to a new Star Wars MMO. Which most likely be modeled after popular Korean based MMO real-time action style combat-systems.

Edited by Renata_Roselli

EA executive vice president Patrick Söderlund: "Visceral’s take on the Star Wars title would have been a “story-based, linear adventure game,” which the company has decided needed to be shifted toward a “broader experience.”"

A more broader experience than a story-based, linear adventure game is exactly an MMO, period. Patrick just hinted to a new Star Wars MMO. Which most likely be modeled after popular Korean based MMO real-time action style combat-systems.

That does not automatically mean MMO. That could mean a Skyrim type style of game nothing more.

His “broader experience.” will be to transfer the title over to a team that can create and introduce multiplayer experiences to the game that allow for micro transactions and loot boxes.

His quote

"In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design."

Edited by Bakgrind

You guys are putting too much stock in what you believe EA does as it relates to SWTOR. They are just a Publishing Co. Let me repeat that, they are just a Publishing Co. They have little to do with SWTOR, that is what they have BW for. As long as it is making money, why would BW or EA shut it down? Would you kill a product that makes you 100+ million a year? EA has nothing to do with this game, other than taking its cut. Calm down.

And why on God's earth would they invest 500+ million to create a new SW MMO, when they have one now that is profitable? Wouldn't be a smart business decision. Use your heads.

Edited by Chelz

His “broader experience.” will be to transfer the title over to a team that can create and introduce multiplayer experiences to the game that allow for micro transactions and loot boxes.

100% correct. There's no other way they would do this.

I don't think SWTOR is endangered by this in particular. EA is going for games with "live services" for some stupid reason and SWTOR fits that bill. It seems like they just want to move away from single player stuff that has no online element. They got BioWare making a Destiny clone and I bet if we have another Dragon Age they're going to force another multiplayer element into it. They already have online Star Wars stuff with SWTOR and Battlefront II so I'd guess the changes to the Visceral one will be some sort of 2-4 player co-op story or something.

I bought one 4 days ago on Amazon uk, wasn't an issue.

On topic, I do fear for swtor and also kind of BW as a whole. Mike Laidlaw was also either let go or quit, whichever it is, no idea. He's been working on Dragon Age and at Bioware since forever.

Not sure if it had anything to do with it however, but it seems rather random.

Edited by Eshvara

On topic, I do fear for swtor and also kind of BW as a whole. Mike Laidlaw was also either let go or quit, whichever it is, no idea. He's been working on Dragon Age and at Bioware since forever.

This article could possibly shed a bit of light as to why he left. http://us.blastingnews.com/gaming/2017/09/dragon-age-4-dev-says-new-title-not-a-direct-sequel-to-inquisition-002013239.html

He was quoted as saying that "In response to a fan’s query on Twitter, creative director Mike Laidlaw clearly stated that while the next DA title is in the works, it does not necessarily mean it's “Dragon Age 4.” The project won’t be a fourth main entry in the series, which implies that the story won’t pick up from the final events of the last installment" That statement is rather suspect and it sounds like the next installment could be a fundamental shift in direction from the previous games.

Edited by Bakgrind

I know! That was a sad one. I'm kind of nervous about it vis a vis the DA franchise.

This article could possibly shed a bit of light as to why he left. http://us.blastingnews.com/gaming/2017/09/dragon-age-4-dev-says-new-title-not-a-direct-sequel-to-inquisition-002013239.html

He was quoted as saying that "In response to a fan’s query on Twitter, creative director Mike Laidlaw clearly stated that while the next DA title is in the works, it does not necessarily mean it's “Dragon Age 4.” The project won’t be a fourth main entry in the series, which implies that the story won’t pick up from the final events of the last installment" That statement is rather suspect and it sounds like the next installment could be a fundamental shift in direction from the previous games.

I shall be toweringly pissed if they don't resolve the whole Solas thing. I mean, seriously. Like write grouchy emails pissed. Maybe even turn in my FanGrannyCard pissed.

Pissed.

(sorry 'bout all the cussin')

Well, that worked out really well for Mass Effect, so this should be good...

Oh f**ing god, they're gonna ***** up my game.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I'm already not going to get my satisfaction with my Solas romance and now this. tf is wrong with them.

WHYYYYYYY?!?!?!?!

Edited by Eshvara